Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got this from www.scca.com

LAS VEGAS, Nev. (Nov. 7, 2003) -- SCCA Pro Racing Ltd.® and Slipstream Global Marketing, Inc. announced at the Special Equipment Market Association (SEMA) show today a new partnership creating Formula Drift®, the first North American professional drifting championship.

Announced as a four-event Championship in 2004, SCCA Pro Racing will sanction the events, promoted by Irvine, Calif.-based Slipstream Global, which was responsible for the first professional drifting event in North America, the 2003 D1 Grand Prix.

“SCCA was responsible for the initial development of road racing in the United States 60 years ago, and it is logical that we be at the forefront of the first domestic professional drifting Championship,” said Garret Mudd, SCCA Vice President of Marketing. “Slipstream Global has asserted itself as the leading promoter and expert with its involvement in this year’s D1 Grand Prix at Irwindale.”

In the new agreement, which also includes car shows produced by Vision Entertainment, SCCA Pro Racing will provide event operations, technical inspection and services, safety procedures, licensing and series administration.

“To legitimize Formula D, SCCA Pro Racing has come on board as our sanctioning body,” said Jim Liaw, Slipstream Global Marketing, Inc. Co-Owner. “SCCA will provide the on-track know how and safety precautions needed for a successful program.”

In addition to the four-event Championship, Formula D will also include six to 10 exhibitions at main stream motorsports events in conjunction with SCCA Pro Racing’s SPEED World Challenge Championships, the American Le Mans Series and the Indy Racing League.

The 2004 series will be documented on ‘Formula Drift TV,’ with the series of programs going to networks at the conclusion of the season. Television shows will be produced by LivePlanet, the company behind the HBO hit series ‘Project Greenlight’ and founded by Matt Damon, Ben Affleck, Sean Bailey and Chris Moore; and Want Media, a leading youth marketing and media production company on behalf of Slipstream Global.

“Want Media is thrilled to participate in the development and production of the ‘Formula Drift TV’ series,” said Mark Lacey, Want Media CEO. “Drifting is the most exciting new sport to hit North America in the past decade and the fact it already has a large, youth-oriented international following is a testament of its cultural significance and credible commercial appeal to young males.”

Further information, including the 2004 series and exhibition schedule will be released at a later date.

·
www.ziptieracing.com
1,785 Posts
there goes the neighborhood...

·
Administrator
17,247 Posts
Guess it's not just a fad anymore? DAMN! ;)

Those guys might be fun to watch, but I sure as hell don't want to share track time with them...as we learned at the road racing portion of Vegas 2003.

Steve T.

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
Steve Theodore said:
Those guys might be fun to watch, but I sure as hell don't want to share track time with them...as we learned at the road racing portion of Vegas 2003.
why what happened? weren;t there different run groups for guys who wanted to drift, or were the normal guys forced to avoid hitting sideways drifters?

·
www.ziptieracing.com
1,785 Posts
ma71supraturbo said:
why what happened? weren;t there different run groups for guys who wanted to drift, or were the normal guys forced to avoid hitting sideways drifters?
There was a seperate drift session, but it was just not as graceful as you would ideally envision. I'm sure its hard, but there were what looked like some very close calls.

·
Registered
526 Posts
ma71supraturbo said:
I went to an event that had a run group for drifters a few years ago. I won't make that mistake again. After the drift sessions, the track was covered with dirt, gravel and other debris, which is hard on race tires and isn't safe. IMO, mixing drifting with real track events is just a bad idea.

·
www.ziptieracing.com
1,785 Posts
Eric said:
IMO, mixing drifting with real track events is just a bad idea.
hahaha. I know you didn't mean it this way, but I kinda feel the same way. Drifting is to "grip" racing is like ice skating is to the 100M dash. Hope I didn't offend any ice skaters...

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Oh boy.......maybe F&F and 2F2F had something to do with this? :eek: :eek:

I mean would you mention the world drifting champion in the same sentence as Michael Schumacher?? It's neat, but I can't imagine making this big of a deal out of it.

·
Administrator
17,247 Posts
Exactly...those guys ARE fun to watch. However, they go off track A LOT and always bring dirt and crud back onto the track, usually on corner exits (since they tend to lose control going into corners or mid corner). Pretty lousy for the grip guys if that happens. ;)

Steve T.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Old Kumho V700s= drift on public roads IME :D

·
TX2K7 roadrace champion
1,544 Posts
they go off track A LOT and always bring dirt and crud back onto the track, usually on corner exits (since they tend to lose control going into corners or mid corner). Pretty lousy for the grip guys if that happens.

those speed gt guts like a challenge

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
quick said:
Drifting is not racing.
It is possible to drift when racing however.
No one's questioning that. But it still is fun to get sideways. I never really would consider it a sport, but I guess if olympic diving can get judged, so can drifting...

·
wastegate hose is pulled
4,586 Posts
Thought I outgrew drifting when I sold my last Camaro. Now SCCA is sanctioning it? Hrm.. thats like my parents listening to heavy metal music.... :scratch: :wtf:

·
Premium Member
10,170 Posts
turtleboy said:
haha, drifting and camaro in the same sentence, thats funny
Why? A powerslide is a drift... and how many videos have I seen of Camaros powersliding.

"Drifting" isn't about who makes the car, silly.

J

·
0 Posts
Let's see - to set up for drifting I need to go back to skinny hard tires and stock alignment settings so the car won't hook up. Doesn't sound like much fun to me. Might as well take the family wagon out and smoke some cheap tires. The whole idea of racing is to drift as little as possible while maximizing speed around a corner. I don't know if I'll ever get it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts