Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today I found an MKII with excellent body.. no rust at all on the rear hatch.. its been sitting under some trees for 6 pr 7 years.. paint is great, just dirty as hell.. the auto transmission is bad, but they said it runs.. hasnt been turned on in that 7 years.. coolant looks great, oil looks like it was just changed, but i dont know if i should try to start it or not. ALL the hoses and wires are perfect. should i change the plugs and try to fire it up? or should i put a new eng in it? or should i just change the head? (i know those seals will be shot :) )

Thanks for the in put guys!

Josh

·
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
1,757 Posts
well...you can take the plugs out, squirt a LITTLE bit of oil down each cylinder, and manually crank the engine to lube the cylinder walls to prevent scoring. Might also want to pull the coil wire, and crank the engine a few times with the key to build up oil pressure, and you should be good.

·
Acceleration
3,833 Posts
Should try changing the gas too or adding in some newer gas/octane booster.

GL, can't beat a $100 mk2! They go for so cheap nowadays it's too bad only the enthusiasts like keeping them in top shape.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Cant beat the hundred bucks. Also agree with everything she said. Pics when you get em.

·
Banned
2,386 Posts
for 100 bucks...i would just go with a 7mgte swap on that car..nice project car..

·
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
1,757 Posts
well, let's see if it runs first. ultimately, it's up to him what he wants to do, have a nice n/a resto project or turbo project.

Never saw any mileage stated, but if the engine isn't seized and has relatively low miles, it could be restored with little money depending on what's going on. If the compression is good, then that's awesome, but some seals may need to be replaced after sitting all those years. Cam tower seals, front and rear mains, etc.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well, I already have an 87 N/A 5speed with complete turbo conversion, exhaust, intake, and magnecore wires.. i just want a nice classic for a daily driver so i can actually take send some stuff off to get worked on.. nothing fast

·
Registered
47 Posts
My friends BMW has done the same thing, sat under trees through all kinds of weather for 5-7 years...now its costing too much to fix.
If you have the money you may need new brakes, starter, plugs, drain the gas tank, new fuel and oil lines, and alot of other stuff, forget what he said...

·
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
1,757 Posts
js3324 said:
My friends BMW has done the same thing, sat under trees through all kinds of weather for 5-7 years...now its costing too much to fix.
If you have the money you may need new brakes, starter, plugs, drain the gas tank, new fuel and oil lines, and alot of other stuff, forget what he said...
:stickpoke
ok the car is $100.
starter $80 (depending on what year it is)
NGK copper spark plugs $10
fuel filter $15
fuel lines (most likely unnecessary)
oil lines wtf?
air filter $6-$15
dizzy cap & rotor $13
spark plug wires $15-$50 depending what brand you want
brake pads $16 a set
rotors $35-$50 each
calipers $35 or so a piece
cam tower seals $6 for the front, probably the same for the rear.
main seals $10 each

really now. If you can't spare a few hundred dollars, don't buy a car, ANY car for that matter for you never know what may happen.
WORST case scenario would be if the engine needed replaced, but you can probably find someone w/ a spare 5MGE for a few hundred bucks. I got mine for $250, runs great. Or you could order a 190hp 3.0 6MGE from rabidchimp, at least it would *look* stock, ha

RUST FREE mkIIs are NOT easy to find, and many people would gladly take this chance to restore this car. You don't get into restoring a car without planning on spending money :rolleyes: That would be pretty stupid.But he's not buying parts for a brand new Lexus. If you had thought more into this, you would know the price of parts for these cars goes down every year due to their oldness. Which is a good thing :)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hey, SupraDupra:

Matt (MKIISupraman18) has two MKIIs for sale, also right here in Indiana. I'm not sure if they run or not, but he was wanting to sell them to someone who would restore them. If this deal falls though for some reason, hit him up at the meet. :)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Oh, and more on-topic:

My '87 had sat for 3-4 years without being started when I bought it. My tally so far:

Car: $500
Turbocharger: $260 (the turbocharger being out was why it was parked)
Fuel pump: $110 (Was dead the first time I tried to start the car)
Gas tank: $200 (was full of rust)
Fuel filter: $15 (Advance Auto parts)
One-piece Driveshaft: $450
MSD plug wires: $85

I bought the one-piece driveshaft because the center carrier bearing is out on my stock two-piece. I don't know if it was shot when it was parked, or if driving after sitting for so long killed it... I didn't notice the clunking until I'd been driving the car about 500 miles, so it's hard to say.

The belts were fine. The brakes were fine after I'd driven the car a couple of miles. I changed the oil right before I tried to start it, and then cranked the motor for like 2 minutes with the coil pack disconnected. It runs and drives great, except for a couple of minor gremlins here and there.

Oh, my exhaust is rusted through too, but I just see that as an excuse to upgrade to a fancy 3" system. :)

All the other parts I've bought/am buying are cosmetic, not related to the car sitting.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well ive wanted a mk2 for a LONG time.. and i know what im getting into. itll take some money.. i just want to drive it now.. restore it later.. and i work at advance auto parts so it wont cost all that much to fix it :)

Eriol, is he going to indy on sat? or KY? i wont be at irp on friday

·
Registered
122 Posts
Sweet. It's always good to have the hookup. :)

I think he's going to Kentucky on Saturday, actually... You guys could probably meet up outside the meet, though.

(You sure you don't want to take that Saturday off and get a caravan going down to Kentucky?) :)

G

·
Payed 300 For Mine, Sat For Five Yrs With Rod Knocking, Waiting For Funds To Do Rabid Chimp 6m Swap. No Rust. Indiana Car Also! Interior Is In Great Shape Plus Have A Parts Car Same Year Same Color! I'm Going To Drive Mine To Next Years Meet In Virginia Beach, Hopefully.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts