Supra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks, Here are my experiences associated with setting up my Single Turbo supra for the track...

Black '94 tt
T-78 (1bar) w/ Greddy FMIC
Stock fuel
HKS Hyper Damper IIs
TRD Sway Bars
Front-rear strubraces
Brembo F-50 14.1 Brakes
18x9 Enkei front 18x10 Enkei rear.

The Supra is ballanced farily well. If you enter a corner properly, the car will tend to remain ballanced as it drifts through the Apex.

With the stock-twins in a corner, you can start on-the gas as soon as you see the exit thorugh the Apex. As long as you don't over do it and maintain smoothness, the car will continue to drift in a farily neutral manner and reach maximum speed at the exit of the corner.

Now, once you replace the stock twins with a bigger single turbo the handling characteritics of the car change dramatically.

As you enter a corner, the car remains quite ballanced, but as soon as the throttle is pressed (slowly) and the boost spools up, it is very difficult to keep the car out of an oversteering condition. This means that you must get on the gas later in the corner, which means lower exist speeds. Usually you must wait until the car is fairly straight

Here is my solution, and what I have found to work best:

I set my suspension full-firm front 1/2-firm rear.

I set my tire pressures 1-1.5 pounds HIGHER in the rear.

The car now understeers when entering a corner and allows me to get into the throttle sooner. When applying the throttle and the boost rises, the car immediately enters a ballanced drift under power (because the car has a tendency to oversteer under power, this ballances the understeer) and allows me to apply almost full power through the exit of the turn rather than waiting for the car to go straight.

This is hard on the tires, but allows you to spool-up sooner in the corner withough showing you tail to everyone in the paddock at the exit (which is fun sometimes).

This strategy requires MUCH more car control and slightly diminishes your ability to throttle steer. It will however reward you with faster lap times.

Happy boosting, and great to see so many Supras at the track.

Madmax.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Maybe your turbo is just a tad too laggy for the stock rev limiter? :)

I thought about a T78 for a while, its just such a great deal, and high quality. But I can't imagine road racing with one for the reasons you described. To much like an on/off switch, at least from looking at the dyno graphs. I think using a GReddy kit with another turbo might be a better solution.

That is assuming I will ever get a single...

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Seems like an SP-60 or SP-63 would be close to the ideal turbo. Of course, you would have to boost high to make competitive power.

Does anyone know what restrictions are placed on Supras for road race competition?

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
madmax said:
Folks, Here are my experiences associated with setting up my Single Turbo supra for the track
THere is my solution, and what I have found to work best:

I set my suspension full-firm front 1/2-firm rear.

I set my tire pressures 1-1.5 pounds HIGHER in the rear.

Madmax - Why not go with a softer rear sway bar or stiffer front and not have to dial in understeer with the tire pressures and shock settings? Just wanted to ask if you've tried that. Jeff

1 - 4 of 4 Posts