Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys... recently sold my MK3 and now Im looking in to a MK4 to be a daily driver. Many of you drive some high HP 2JZs around on the regular. To give you some back ground, I am 23, just graduated frm college and Im fed up with my ML55... Looked at a number of cars such as 350Z, G35, W208 CLKs, C32s etc etc. None of them gave me the warm fuzzy feeling of a car that will keep me happy for years to come. Well I loved my supra so now I think I want to go back to one.

I found one on here that another member is selling went and test drove it today and I like it. So Im trying to come up with some maintenance numbers... I figure oil changes every 3k with synthetics, but how long do most brake pads last? Gas mileage, etc. Im looking for basic costs of ownership not including insurance and car payment if financed...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
451 Posts
Have driven mine over 30,000 miles and have never had to change the brake pads. Depending on how you drive would determine your gas mileage. If you drive like a sane person you can easily get 25mpg. Also, how many miles does this mkiv have that you are looking at buying? There are things that tend to give out at over 100,000 miles (ex: turbos).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
car has 68k miles and I would expect to see turbos needing replacement at around then... I have also seen some used sets of Stock turbos not too badly priced.

Has anyone ever driven one in light snow? I would imagine its like any sports car or RWD?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,604 Posts
Snow is hell-on-wheels. I wouldn't think the turbos would need major attention unless they've had the hell boosted out of them. But if that's the case then look for signs of BHG and stem seal leakage too. Rear wheel bearings ok? Hatch rust? All of this stuff will eclipse the cost of oil or pads by far! 25mpg? Who? You mentioned high HP so I had to laugh when I saw that someone had noted that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MT Fuji... what are some of the issues I need to look for in the MK4? The engine looks to be in pristine condition, I will bring it to my mechanic to take a look at it, what should he look for?
 

·
Very Senior Member
Joined
·
10,053 Posts
A well-maintained MkIV will last a long time with minimal repairs. Turbos should last longer than you can stand them if not abused.
I would avoid snow and winter driving in general - although it's not a problem for me in MS. The power and RWD are a poor combo in slick conditions. We've seen too many wrecked MkIV's where the driver said it would never happen to them!
There are some threads around somewhere with things to check when buying. Usual checks are a good idea and compression and leak-down are good tests.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
391 Posts
elite racing said:
Have driven mine over 30,000 miles and have never had to change the brake pads. Depending on how you drive would determine your gas mileage. If you drive like a sane person you can easily get 25mpg. Also, how many miles does this mkiv have that you are looking at buying? There are things that tend to give out at over 100,000 miles (ex: turbos).
I got 26mpg Hwy when i drove my supra back from ATL. Thats in 6th gear going 65. City its like 15mpg max!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
660 Posts
Brake pads and gas mileage really depend on how you drive the car. If you drive in the city gas mileage may be in the teens w/ the turbo motor, it does well on the hwy i can get as much as 22mpg on the hwy and as low as 14mpg in the city. My car is pretty much stock with some bpu mods. Just change your oil every 3k and you should be good to go if the car is in good condition.
 

·
feeding your habit
Joined
·
4,015 Posts
turbos should be ok, expect stem seal soon, but that's not a big job. There are people locally (me, ovrbst) who will service the car much cheaper and much better than a dealer would.

expect shit in the snow. I have a 5% grade driveway and if we have a dusting of snow, my car won't go. No kidding.

I'm in manchester nh, 45min north if you want to check one out and have a drive. (give me a week to get my AEM in)

-M
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
98mkiv said:
turbos should be ok, expect stem seal soon, but that's not a big job. There are people locally (me, ovrbst) who will service the car much cheaper and much better than a dealer would.

expect shit in the snow. I have a 5% grade driveway and if we have a dusting of snow, my car won't go. No kidding.

I'm in manchester nh, 45min north if you want to check one out and have a drive. (give me a week to get my AEM in)

-M
Already drove it... its in Kingston, not sure if you know, Naz at Wicked Cas, he has a rennisance red thats for sale that I actually was looking at from a dealer in NYC
 

·
Shawn Davis
Joined
·
1,662 Posts
I can't believe you people haven't mentioned tires. These are by far the biggest maintenance cost during ownership. Obviously it depends on the tires you choose, alignment, and driving habits, but expect to spend around a grand each time you change tires, and you'll need new tires every 10 to 20k miles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I save no money there... the ML is pretty similar in that respect...
 

·
Never fast enough
Joined
·
716 Posts
Ubermensch said:
I can't believe you people haven't mentioned tires. These are by far the biggest maintenance cost during ownership. Obviously it depends on the tires you choose, alignment, and driving habits, but expect to spend around a grand each time you change tires, and you'll need new tires every 10 to 20k miles.
This is true. i have alread bought 2 set of rear tires for my mkiv tt the first set only lasted about 3500 miles, they were the kumho exsta 711 now i am runnig the kumho asx and they are 30000 mile tires. Another big cost is the gas, 93 octane and for me its a 50 dollar trip the gas station every week and a half. But its worth it, i wouldnt drive anything else. Knock on wood but i have had no problems with the turbos and the car has 135000.
 

·
feeding your habit
Joined
·
4,015 Posts
these aren't great cars for DD if you are looking at it from a cost perspective, primarily because if you rack up the miles you will loose value....

better to buy a higher mileage car cheaper and not have to loose on the mileage depreciation.

-M
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the gas is def not an issue with me... I spend $80 to fill my ML55 and every 3000 miles I have to treat 26gallons of gas with Techron as it is highly recomended on all of the AMG engines. So thats generally another couple bucks

Tires sound like they could be an issue...tttsupra, did you do a lot of burn outs and only managed 3500 miles out of the tires?
And all 4 get replaced atthe same time? Or just rears?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
98mkiv said:
these aren't great cars for DD if you are looking at it from a cost perspective, primarily because if you rack up the miles you will loose value....

better to buy a higher mileage car cheaper and not have to loose on the mileage depreciation.

-M
well, Ive already accepted that fact, I believe I will keep my moms 93 camry
 

·
Never fast enough
Joined
·
716 Posts
55fanatic said:
the gas is def not an issue with me... I spend $80 to fill my ML55 and every 3000 miles I have to treat 26gallons of gas with Techron as it is highly recomended on all of the AMG engines. So thats generally another couple bucks

Tires sound like they could be an issue...tttsupra, did you do a lot of burn outs and only managed 3500 miles out of the tires?
And all 4 get replaced atthe same time? Or just rears?
No just the rears and the esta 711 are a really soft tire and just ware fast i didnt do any burn outs or hard drive. The only time i snoked the tires was right before i got the asx put on. the tires were already gone so it made sense to light them up
 

·
?!!?HABBA BABBA??!!
Joined
·
2,757 Posts
If u wanna drive the car drive it!.....my IV is my daily and gets me everywhere i go. I bought the dang car to drive. Not sit in some garage and never see the road except on the weekend.
 

·
Very Senior Member
Joined
·
10,053 Posts
Ubermensch said:
I can't believe you people haven't mentioned tires. These are by far the biggest maintenance cost during ownership. Obviously it depends on the tires you choose, alignment, and driving habits, but expect to spend around a grand each time you change tires, and you'll need new tires every 10 to 20k miles.
No need to spend that much.
You can get Kumho MX's for maybe $600/set installed and balanced. They are a pretty good combo for street/road course. They are very different than the Ecsta.
Of course, you can burn off any tire if you want.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I wanted to do a set of Kuhmos in my old MK3... I know most of the AMG owners use PS2s... anyone here use PS2? Kinda a soft tire, most of the C55 owners are getting 12-13k miles out of em
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top