Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Under Construction
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While my friend and I were working on my car the other night, I noticed my cams had some writing on them. Upon further inspection, they wrote 272. I bought the car last year thinking I had 264's. I don't know whether I should keep them or sell them. My mods are

71GTQ with .81 Housing
880cc Injectors
Fuel
4" downpipe,.midpipe
3.5" exhaust
Mild port and polished heads
Crower springs and retainers
Titan intake manifold
Titan Crank pulley
Greddy pulleys
Adjustable cam gears
VPC/Emanage/bcc
Horsepowerfreaks Intercooler
TIAL BOV
HKS DLI

I really don't think the 272's are worth it for my setup unless I bump my redline to 8500 or so. How much more lag will I have with my current cams compared to the 264's? What should I do? Keep my 272's or go the 264 route? Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Hey, There's a thread in the dyno section that might answer your questions. projectmk4>r1 is comparing his setup. they have similar setups as you. cam and no cam

·
I'm back!
6,710 Posts
TwinTurboPete said:
While my friend and I were working on my car the other night, I noticed my cams had some writing on them. Upon further inspection, they wrote 272. I bought the car last year thinking I had 264's. I don't know whether I should keep them or sell them. My mods are

71GTQ with .81 Housing
880cc Injectors
Fuel
4" downpipe,.midpipe
3.5" exhaust
Mild port and polished heads
Crower springs and retainers
Titan intake manifold
Titan Crank pulley
Greddy pulleys
Adjustable cam gears
VPC/Emanage/bcc
Horsepowerfreaks Intercooler
TIAL BOV
HKS DLI

I really don't think the 272's are worth it for my setup unless I bump my redline to 8500 or so. How much more lag will I have with my current cams compared to the 264's? What should I do? Keep my 272's or go the 264 route? Thanks guys.
The 264's make better power below 6500rpm. The only time the 272's shine is above the curve, and on the HKS dyno they made 20-30 more RWHP...but only at real high boost levels. Other than that the 264's had a better power curve.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
yep keep em and get at least a 8000rpm redline or better yet go the aem route.

My cams are the crower stage 2 cams. They are a little higher than 264 cams.(inbetween 264s and 272s) I dont think you will see a big difference in lag if any.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Recently I've been playing with turbos and cams.

The final outcome specific to my combinations, the Turbonetics Ceramic BB T76/272 Cams spooled exactly the same as with the ITS Dual BB GT74/264 Cams. The difference with the 272's is the power was held out until 8000rpms without dropping where the 264's would start dropping off slowly after 6500rpms.

I had a great deal of surge problems with the T-76, so I ended stepping down to the T-72 for the time being.

·
Super Moderator
10,210 Posts
Re: Re: Found out I have HKS 272 cams

braddman said:
The 264's make better power below 6500rpm. The only time the 272's shine is above the curve, and on the HKS dyno they made 20-30 more RWHP...but only at real high boost levels. Other than that the 264's had a better power curve.
I'd have to take issue with this statement. I have dyno sheets from SPE with various 264 and 272 cammed cars. One of the comparions involves Bill Robards' 264 cammed HKS 2835 car and the other involved the 272 cammed HKS 2835 car formerly owned by James Yeh, Ryan Woon, Guilly Polo and Craig Lieberman. The 272 cammed car spooled better and made more power at every rpm point in the power point. Both were VPC/GCC cars.

I've had 264s and I replaced them with my current set of 272s. Properly shimmed and tuned you get the best of both worlds. I'd say stick with the 272s. You won't be sorry.

Ken.

H

·
0 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Found out I have HKS 272 cams

KenHenderson said:
I'd have to take issue with this statement. I have dyno sheets from SPE with various 264 and 272 cammed cars. One of the comparions involves Bill Robards' 264 cammed HKS 2835 car and the other involved the 272 cammed HKS 2835 car formerly owned by James Yeh, Ryan Woon, Guilly Polo and Craig Lieberman. The 272 cammed car spooled better and made more power at every rpm point in the power point. Both were VPC/GCC cars.

I've had 264s and I replaced them with my current set of 272s. Properly shimmed and tuned you get the best of both worlds. I'd say stick with the 272s. You won't be sorry.

Ken.

I agree 272's are the way to go.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts