Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drove my newly purchased 380 RWP Mk3 for the first time today with the targa off. It was really nice and I couldn't resist full-throttle acceleration and spirited cornering (no hard launching though). I've got strut tower braces front and rear but I was afraid of twisting my frame. Afterwards my carbon fibre hood seemed slightly lifted on one side and I noticed a very small bulge in my rocker panel near the rear door(not sure if it was there before or not!) I was worried about frame twist but I think it's fine since the targa lined up and bolted back on without a problem. My hood needs repair anyway so it may have loosened somewhat at speed.

Anyways, how much power can a targa handle safely before frame damage/twisting becomes possible? Anyone here actually twisted a targa frame? How much HP did it take? Do the do-luck lower frame braces work well enough to be worth it? Any feedback would rock. Cheers

·
Supra hail dent king :(
1,155 Posts
I'm not too sure if Targa struts were ever made in bundles. But i have seen a couple of people make targa struts that prevent alot of Flex with the targa. Sometimes some make for people and sometimes they are for themselves. I've never heard of anyone bending their chassis with too much power and the targa off though.

·
what would jesus drift?
987 Posts
toytota already added some extra strength to the frame over the hard top, (this is why targa weighs more) but being since it's a SLA suspension haveing strut tower braces has no effect on how the car handles it might help from flex but with piviots on both sides i would doubt this, if it was solid bar i could see so..

targa cross braces are about the only way to eliminate any flex that happens while driving with the top off,

i figure the car is aproaching 20 years old, and if the targa still fits then the only way to bend twist or ruin the frame is to get into an accident..

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~EdIt~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
welcome to the comunity!

by the way, congradulation on the new toy, what are the mods? have have you seen dyno sheets?

·
Missing my supra
629 Posts
pimptrizkit said:
toytota already added some extra strength to the frame over the hard top, (this is why targa weighs more) but being since it's a SLA suspension haveing strut tower braces has no effect on how the car handles it might help from flex but with piviots on both sides i would doubt this, if it was solid bar i could see so..

targa cross braces are about the only way to eliminate any flex that happens while driving with the top off,

i figure the car is aproaching 20 years old, and if the targa still fits then the only way to bend twist or ruin the frame is to get into an accident..

welcome to the comunity!

by the way, congradulation on the new toy, what are the mods? have have you seen dyno sheets?
Not true young Jedi...

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
I doubt you'll hurt it too bad, but I just hate the wet noodle my car is with the top off

it's a trade-off... top off is awesome, but it rattles all over the place and bumps unsettle the chassis easier...

Keep in mind that the area between the subframes is VERY strong compared to cars like F-bodies and mustangs. We pretty much have a frame in between...

·
Registered
358 Posts
Toyota actually released a video when these cars came out talking about how prolonged speed above 100mph could cause damage to the body/frame.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have never heard of anyone actually twisting a Supra frame from anything short of an accident. My car has survived some pretty crazy things, and the targa fits perfectly. I just cant imagine twisting the frame by driving fast or accelerating too hard.

·
kaizen Motorsports
1,403 Posts
Toyota actually released a video when these cars came out talking about how prolonged speed above 100mph could cause damage to the body/frame.

Where did you get that, The Fast and the Furious ?

I hit a wall at over 60 MPH on a canyon run head on. The targa fit after I took it off and put it back on!

·
CT12 Destroyer
2,993 Posts

The answer to all my problems :D

I drove maybe once or twice without my bars on, with my car slammed . Worst ride EVER , bar none. So much for coilovers , dampers , all that shit

The car basically shook me out of my seat every bump I hit, Now with the bars, car feels just like it has the roof on :D

·
Now with less BHG...
409 Posts
^ is that anchored on the stock targa bolts or what? impressive...

·
Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The previous owner said that targa Mk3's are notorious for cracked rocker panels. Anyone had that happen?

Thanks for the welcome. I picked up that white one that was on Ebay in January. It has some phat mods ($20K invested) and it's by far the fastest car I've ever been in or driven. Real refreshing after driving a 140HP Mk2 since 1993! I'll post some details and picures soon. Just doing some cool stuff to it still. Cheers - Brad

pimptrizkit said:

welcome to the comunity!

·
Oldie but a Goodie
1,465 Posts
I've never heard of an mk3 with cracked rockers... cracked subframes aren't uncommon though.

·
Banned
5,941 Posts
If your gonna drive hard, put the targa on, if just cruising, take it off. There is definitely a difference in handling. I replaced my suspension, Koni adjustables and Eibachs, and the ride is much better than 15+year old leaky suspension, but you can still tell a minor difference with one off. I just think that if you want performance driving, then put it on, you will get the aerodynamics intended for the car. Just my 2cents.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Supra Junky 101 said:

The answer to all my problems :D

I drove maybe once or twice without my bars on, with my car slammed . Worst ride EVER , bar none. So much for coilovers , dampers , all that shit

The car basically shook me out of my seat every bump I hit, Now with the bars, car feels just like it has the roof on :D
I understand where your coming from putting those on but im sorry to say man that is ugly as sin

·
Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I just bought a do-luck style floor brace so that should help a bit. Found a cheap one for only $80 shipped on ebay. If it's solid and made of steel, I figured it shouldn't matter if it's cheap. The Do-luck model has very good feedback posted from Mk3 owners: http://www.horsepowerfreak.com/reviewparts/Do_Luck/Suspension/Strut_Tower_Bar/Rear_Cross/2771

I like the sunroof-in-targa idea but it would probably remove the rigid part of the targa. Guess I'll just cruise with the top out.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
ask some of the high power MKIV guys, targa off and they hate the wet noodle effect, but I dunno anyone that's twisted anything...

Not saying I would slap on drag slicks and run the quarter with the top off though...

·
CT12 Destroyer
2,993 Posts
YourRealDaddy said:
I understand where your coming from putting those on but im sorry to say man that is ugly as sin

:gives: , It stiffens the chassis and they are fully polished now. You're the first to ever say they are " ugly"

·
Moderator, l337 M0d3r4t0r
12,259 Posts
if you want to drive fast and hard put the targa on simple.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts