1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Nobody
602 Posts
ive had a $25 pair of New Balance for 3 years now... they have served me perfectly well as a daily show and a running/training show.

the only footwear i really splurge on are work boots.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Asics for me. Do a 1/2 marathon with the wrong shoe once and then you'll realize price is a non issue. You should see what type feet you have before forking over your money. I'm need a stability type shoe because I tend to roll my ankle a little. Most people I know who run need this type of shoe. You might need a different type of shoe. I'd get checked at a good running store if you haven't already.

·
Slightbreach of Etiquette
429 Posts
Hmm... I wonder if that's the case with me. I have an expensive pair of New Balance but anytime I get to ~3 miles, my left leg feels like it's going to shoot through my ankle. How can this be? WIIFIT SAYS I HAVE NEAR PERFECT BALANCE?!!?

·
Thinking Person
1,533 Posts
^^ Yup. For anyone worth their salt in running, price is a non-issue. And your gait makes a huge difference on what type of shoe you need. Shoes are extremely important for running. Definitely get checked at a legit running store.

I tend to run on the outside of my foot and so I need something with more cushion versus stability.

I've got a pair of Adidas that cost me $70 on sale. They're the breather kind though I forget the model #. Normal price was over $120.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Try "Hawaiian Style" running shoes, much cheaper

·
Photogenic Monkey!
78 Posts
jeez that looks like such a rip of the adidas climacool line

·
Nobody
602 Posts
Go to a local running shop. I run in asics after going to a running shop that showed me how wrong new balances are for running.
lemme guess... the asics cost more than the NB at that store? :rofl:

i understand some people may have physical irregularities that require a special shoe... but simply saying that buying a more expensive shoe for the purpose of hiding poor form is as asanine as trying to justify modding your car to handle before you even know how to drive it.

i personally trained HEAVILY in inexpensive NBs for the 4 years in highschool that i was involved in track, wrestling, and football. and since i have been out have trained in a new set of NBs.

since there are a select few that feel the only way to train is to spend more money i will play devils advocate with my own experience.

of course endurance and marathon running requires a special shoe... but im sure the percentage of people that will seek info from this thread in regard to that very specific activity will be near non existant.

it truly comes down to preference.

·
600 Posts
I had shin splints all through high school doing 4 years of track. At the time, I had some Nike Bowerman series shoes which provided some stability for my overpronation, but I still had to get some insoles to add extra support. After a few years of college, during my senior year, I decided to start running again.

I went to a running store and tried on pretty much all their shoes until I found the one that fit my feet the best. The associate had me run on the treadmill with each pair of shoes as he recorded my feet from behind with a video camera. During slow-mo playback, he used a compass of some sorts to see how much my feet were still actually rolling in while wearing each shoe.

I ended up getting the Adidas Supernovas for a little over $100.

You can see in this picture exactly how much support there is on the inside edge of the shoe. The cost was well worth the pain-free running I was able to do afterwards. No shin splints! :)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Actually I paid a bit more for the NB for years until the store talked me out of them due the Asics being better a better fit. Everyone is different but it seems in my experience that Asics are leaps and bounds ahead of NB and I know a decent amount of people who have come to the same conclusion. NB's are made out of leather which over time stretch out and cause your foot to slide around, serious running shoes avoid leather for this exact reason(i.e. ascis, brooks, ect..).

lemme guess... the asics cost more than the NB at that store? :rofl:

i understand some people may have physical irregularities that require a special shoe... but simply saying that buying a more expensive shoe for the purpose of hiding poor form is as asanine as trying to justify modding your car to handle before you even know how to drive it.

i personally trained HEAVILY in inexpensive NBs for the 4 years in highschool that i was involved in track, wrestling, and football. and since i have been out have trained in a new set of NBs.

since there are a select few that feel the only way to train is to spend more money i will play devils advocate with my own experience.

of course endurance and marathon running requires a special shoe... but im sure the percentage of people that will seek info from this thread in regard to that very specific activity will be near non existant.

it truly comes down to preference.

·
The Stars At Night
1,460 Posts
Asics FTW!

FWIW, go to a running shop if you have one near you. They can put you on a treadmill and videotape you running to determine if you overpronate, supinate, or run neutral. Usually from there they can tell you which models are made for which kind of step. Last time I went to buy shoes I was wearing my Asics Cumulus, which have always been the most comfortable on my foot. They determined I had a neutral step, which the Cumulus is made for, and from there explained the different levels of Asics. A specialized running shop will be able to tell you what you actually need, not want.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I had shin splints all through high school doing 4 years of track. At the time, I had some Nike Bowerman series shoes which provided some stability for my overpronation, but I still had to get some insoles to add extra support. After a few years of college, during my senior year, I decided to start running again.

I went to a running store and tried on pretty much all their shoes until I found the one that fit my feet the best. The associate had me run on the treadmill with each pair of shoes as he recorded my feet from behind with a video camera. During slow-mo playback, he used a compass of some sorts to see how much my feet were still actually rolling in while wearing each shoe.

I ended up getting the Adidas Supernovas for a little over $100.

You can see in this picture exactly how much support there is on the inside edge of the shoe. The cost was well worth the pain-free running I was able to do afterwards. No shin splints! :)

Bro what store was this???? I went to a "good" shoe store and all they did was look at my foot and tell me what I needed, 6 months later the same pain is still there.

·
600 Posts
^ The store I went to was called Fleet Feet down in Savannah, GA. However, I do believe they have many stores throughout the US. As btm7687 mentioned, go to an actual "running" shop. The people who work in those places usually have a passion for running and will have the necessary equipment and experience to tell you what kind of shoe you need. Also, be sure to mention what kind of pain you are experiencing, so that they know how to cater to it.

-edit-
It looks like the only location in Colorado is in Boulder.
http://www.fleetfeetboulder.com/

However, I'm sure there are other running shops in Denver. Also, be prepared to try on a LOT of shoes to figure out which feels best on your feet. Don't just pick the one you think looks good. You really think I wanted a neon green/yellow shoe?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts