Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the opportunity to grab a brand new intercooler off a Freightliner M2 Truck, visually it looks very much like the HKS intercooler. It measures approx 24" x 12" x 3" and has a 3" inlet / outlet which is larger than the HKS unit @ 15.75" x 10.25" x 2.56". Has anyone done this? are the flow parameters somehow different for the turbo diesel application? Will an intercooler this big create turbo lag?

·
deadbeat extraordinaire
449 Posts
an intercooler doesn't care if the motor runs diesel or gas, it's doing the same job. :)

going to a larger volume cooler will have a slight affect on lag, but most likely not noticable.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know the intercooler doesn't care whether the engine runs gas or diesel but diesel engines rev much slower than gas engines so I would have to think their flow properties would be different...

·
Registered
347 Posts
but the engine has nothing to do with it, you hear semi's around town, they spool up almost instantly. the engine being slow reving doesn't matter. although i'm gueeing the turbo they use is bigger, and pushes more psi... so depending on applications, it might work. or you might get a bunch o' lag.

·
Destroyer of Turbos
4,461 Posts
trent ran an npr for a while before he switched over to a different ic. bic ran a cummin ic for a while too. will work fine. the reason there is more lag compared to stock is because there is more interior volume to fill. this lag is minimal especially as you move up the ladder with turbos. also the reasons diesals spool instantly (and run huge a/r numbers) is because the motor moves alot more exhaust gas out.

edit: POST 2000 BITCHES!

·
Token Black Fry
364 Posts
a friend's 280Z runs an NPR intercooler and it's one of the most efficient IC's for being non aftermarket.

·
1.5JZ Turbo Supra
3,378 Posts
trucks run low RPMs but boost high. So yea car boost shouldn't be a problem.

·
Check Your Face!!!
1,417 Posts
didnt BIC run a intercooler out of a dodge cummins turbo diesel for a while? i think so, check his site www.bicperformance.com

1 - 9 of 9 Posts