Supra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· ?!!?HABBA BABBA??!!
4,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched all morning, but really havent found a list, so I think it would be a good idea to make one and maybe make it a sticky.

For those people who have a newly built or brand new motor and ready to crank up.

I think we should get a checklist of things that need to be done , checked, filled up, etc before cranking that new engine the first time.

I know some of them are as follows:

Remove spark plugs, and crank car until oil pressure gauge shows oil pressure.

BUT, what all is needed before this?

Fill up oil filter with oil, etc??

· Registered
3,786 Posts
When you got oil pressure your filter is full. Go over everything visually again and check and make sure all fluids are full (ps, trans, coolant). I always fire the car up and let it run at high rpm ( around 1500-2k) for about 10 seconds and then shut it off and check for leaks. I check engine oil, ps, and trans levels again.

· Registered
604 Posts
Depending on the level of build/mods you've done, do not run the motor long if it is running super rich. Look for black smoke out the pipe. I would run it for about a minute or less, then pull the plugs and see if they are wet and fuel soaked. Too much fuel will wash the oils off the cylinder walls and prevent the rings from seating properly. Subsequently, the fuel will contaminate the oil and hinder it's ability to lubricate the bearings and could result in premature failure.

· SupraForums Sponsor
4,456 Posts
I have one that should be on the checklist I guess since I have heard this issue on more than one occassion.

Don't forget to put oil in the engine before you start the car! :)

I have heard many stories about people not remembering to simply add oil when finishing up their engine install!

· Registered
2,681 Posts
+1 for check list. Should be a sticky. Also I would like to know what needs to be done to a motor when you take it to the machine shop after you have purchased all the necessary internals. Rods/pistons/bearings/studs/billet mains/ext.

· ?!!?HABBA BABBA??!!
4,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok, i saw someone mention in another thread that you should fill up certain areas with oil before even priming....example: fill the oil pump up somehow, and also oil hoses.

· Registered
251 Posts
fluids, back track what you did and make sure everything is tightin. As mention before look for any leaks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.