Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Stock Boost SUX
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys, heres the deal.

Just finished up a recent rebuild. About to be able to drive it, finally.

I go to school at Texas A&M, my car is 4 hours away. Its about to be all ready for me to bring up here, but my concern is, it doesnt have but like 20 miles on it, at most. I want the car up here SUPER bad, but I dont wanna fuck anything up. SO, can I drive it the 4 hours up here or do I need to break it in more (like 1000 miles) before I do?

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
give everything a one over and make sure shes running good fill her up with oil and gas. i would make sure its in top shape before doing any long distance driving. take her around the block 6-7 times to get a feel of the car.

·
Registered
945 Posts
while driving on the highway be sure to vary your speed +/- 10 mph and shift from 4th to 5th as often as necessary. this will ensure good seating of valves and allow proper reak in of the rings.

·
Stock Boost SUX
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She'll be in great shape, everything is workin fine, finally. Anyone else got an opinion?

·
HKS T51R
2,732 Posts
lol there is alot of questiosn regarding breaking in an engine, some people say drive it hard, and some say drive it like an old lady. they both have good points for both ones. but if you do take it for a long drive, i wouldnt have the radio on, and listen for any weird/unusual noises coming from the engine. and if you see anything weird, like temperature spiking or anything. make sure all your fluids are topped up and clean. Good luck on your trip

·
Just some guy
1,681 Posts
I broke my motor in hard for around 20 miles, then plopped it on the dyno, drove about another 50, then drove it to Vegas. Took it like a champ.

·
Stock Boost SUX
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I put like 22 miles on it. Changed the oil out. It will have more miles than that when I take it. Its goin to get the valves adjusted in a couple days and then it will be all ready.

I dont have my radio installed yet, so yea, I can listen to the engine. LOL.

Just a lil nervous about the break-in. Ive seen both sides: drive it hard, drive it soft. Its tought to decide. :dunno:

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
If you've had no problems in 22 miles, it's probably sound enough to drive for a long period. Like the others pointed out, vary your driving. I believe the TSRM says for initial driving, take it on the highway, floor it from 50 to 70 with stock boost, then let off. Repeat for about 10-11 times then drive normally while varying speed.
Good luck!

·
Acceleration
3,833 Posts
Go in the slow lane, then into the fast, then into the slow, etc.

Vary speed by +-10 mph like already stated, and at the same time u can be going into 4th in the slow lane and 5th in the fast lane and 6th in your dreams weeeeeeeeeeeee.

·
1991 1JZ
1,157 Posts
just got my rebuilt running last week. i drove it around town like an old lady for like 20 miles. then i changed the oil. drove it around for another 250 miles, changed the oil. im at 400 miles today (lots of driving!) and i finally started boosting on it just to see how it feels. after my little bit of fun the other day im gonna go back to driving it slow until i get to at least 7 or 800 miles. then ill consider my break in almost finished, and good enough to get on it hard. at 1000 miles ill change the oil and switch to synthetic.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts