Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Power shift that bitch!
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well this morning at 4am my husband got the call that he is laid off, along with close to 500 other......what a way to start a day.

He's not sure what he is going to do or wants to do. He is debating whether to go to UTI this fall for a year with his ex-coworker in Arizona or going to a local school.

Decisions Decisions.

·
900 BHP Club :)
4,934 Posts
dang, really sorry to hear that.

·
1st Lieutenant Team BEYAW
1,915 Posts
wow, sorry to hear that Travis (and Michelle) i was actually just going to call you guys about buying some tickets, crazy.

hope you find a new job fast man, good luck!

·
Administrator
17,247 Posts
Very sorry to hear the news Michelle and Travis. :(

In slightly happier news, I was convinced something horrible would happen to myself and/or my family today, but we seemed to dodge the bullet this year (but there are 20 minutes left to go in the day...EEEEEEK!).

Steve T.

·
Power shift that bitch!
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes Alaska Airlines....:(

And i will have trav post up and tell ya what he likes to do and what he is looking for. For right now, I still dont think it has sunk in. He has been with the company for over 8 years and now its time to start ALL over.

I experienced a similar situation last year, losing my job after 5 years. But the forced change actually worked out for the better for me.

I hope he can find something local, not sure if i want to relocate to Arizona. That would be way to drastic considering we're both from Alaska.

·
900 BHP Club :)
4,934 Posts
I was watching the news and was hoping to see him interviewed or just in the background somewhere :hs:

they said the workers got 2 weeks of pay for every year they've been with the company and a $2000-$15000 bonus? If that's true then at least he can enjoy some time off w/o having to worry too much. still sucks though, but at least he got something.

·
OLDDAWG
1,733 Posts
Travis and Michelle:

Really nice that they would have the gall to call at 4AM in the morning with such news. One would think they could have at least have waited until a decent hour to call. It must have been a sudden decision on their part that they wouldn't have told Travis while he was at work anyway.

Virginia and I feel for the both of you the pain that an event like this can cause. Our prayers are with you both, friends.

This is one of my favorite quotes, that I have remembered and used over my lifetime, as Napolean Hill said in "Think and Grow Rich, "In every adversity there is the seed of an equal or greater benefit - if you should choose to find it." So look upon this as the opportunity of a lifetime to find something better!!!

Here is a page of encouraging sayings that are good to read at times like these.
http://members.tripod.com/forestrypageant/id79.html

As you choose the new and greater opportunity please keep in touch with us and let us know what it is that you choose.

·
Banned
1,062 Posts
Sorry to hear that Michelle, tell Trav somethin good will come his way soon and I am sorry. Hope to see you guys real soon. I should have the monster done before the end of this month I hope. "fingers crossed". Hope all else is well.

Seth

·
Registered
744 Posts
supra_girliegirl said:
Well this morning at 4am my husband got the call that he is laid off, along with close to 500 other......what a way to start a day.

He's not sure what he is going to do or wants to do. He is debating whether to go to UTI this fall for a year with his ex-coworker in Arizona or going to a local school.

Decisions Decisions.
That is terrible news to hear Michelle and Travis. Ill be thinkin of you hoping the best for you. Like others said, think of this time as a time to change. It worked out great for you in the end Michelle, and maybe this is just a sign that its Travis's turn. Well Travis whatever direction you choose to go you know everyone here on supra forums will help you out any way we can. Hope to see you guys soon, :)

-Brian

·
Is it turbo??
760 Posts
Getting laid off sucks!!!! I went through that a couple months ago!! Good luck to you both and sorry to hear that!!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Sorry to hear that. I have a seasonal position available now, with the Scotts Co! If Travis needs something in the meantime? let me know.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Wow, thanks for all of the support. All 476 of us knew this was coming, and have been preparing for this to happen since Nov. of last year. I had a bad attitude for a while, but accepted it sometime in March. I had fun since then, and have been planning what to do next. I havent really decided what to do yet, but have a few options I can pursue. The best would be to go to school, which would be paid for by the state (unemployment). They will pay for 2 years of Technical school.

I know I will take some time off from working, as I will still be getting paid for 9 weeks. I am going to travel a little bit, and try to have fun this summer. I don't mean to shun anyone that has been kind enough to offer a job, as I am interested in all offers.

The weird thing about this is Michelle is taking this harder than I am. She is the one who is down and out about this, and I have to keep her spirits high. I also was talking to one of my former supervisors, and told him to keep his head up and continue to do a good job.

Again, thank you all for your posts.

Here is the companys spin on things, and a news article...

http://www.alaskasworld.com/NEWS/2005/05/13_ramp.asp

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/boeingaerospace/2002266431_alaska07.html

M

·
0 Posts
Go to Shoreline CC for automotive technology training if you want to stay local. You could go with me into the T-TEN program (Toyota Technical Education Network). Shoreline also has Honda PACT program, Chrysler CAP program, a program for GM and they're starting a relationship with Volkswagen too I think. The T-TEN program is full for this fall I think ( I probably took the last spot) but you might be able to get started spring quarter of 2006.

UTI is very nice and gives you the chance to get into nicer dealerships such as Audi, BMW, Prosche, Mercedes, and a couple others I'm sure. And you don't have to worry about the extra cost if someone else is paying for your education. However, it's down in Arizona where you'll die during the day if your A/C doesn't work.

Shoreline web site

-Dave

·
Registered
114 Posts
Thanks for the link. I actually picked up a brochure on the T-TEN program today. Also, I have a friend who works at a Toyota Dealership who told me about the program, as it is the one he went through.

If I do go to UTI, I have a friend who owns a house 12 miles from the campus, and I have been told I can stay with him and his girlfriend. I would probably pick up a motorcycle so A/C wont be that much of a problem...

·
Stock Twins King
4,490 Posts
I play basketball with an AA pilot. He came to the court last week with a jar, with a label on it saying "Donate to the poor pilots assoc" I guess they were lucky in the sense they didnt get laid off, but they had to take like a 25% pay cut.! Thats almost as bad as getting laid off, because now he is stuck between no job and no paying job!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts