Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This might seem sorta stupid, but i was just wondering if there was some easy way to install 98' clear signals on a 95'. What has worked for you guys? I heard you have to take the entire bumper off :(

·
1,005 Posts
no...just take out the headlights...u can access all the bolts easily from there...for the headlights there are 3 bolts that hold them in...u should be able to see them fairly easily as well.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dude you rock man, i think thats just what i need to know. i'm gonna go toss those bitches on right now...thanks again dude :D

·
1,005 Posts
no prob man...but just FYI, your going to have to drill a hole in your bumper to fit one of the bolts from the 97+ front signals. When you do drill the hole, make sure its going to be snug against the bumper...you'll see what i mean when you get to that point.

I heard that you can actually take that bolt out of the signal lamp, but I never tried it...just in case you don't feel like drilling a hole in your bumper...good luck.

Don't forget to wire them up properly too:)

G

·
TRDSupraSE said:

I heard that you can actually take that bolt out of the signal lamp, but I never tried it...just in case you don't feel like drilling a hole in your bumper...good luck.

Yes you can, the back two bolts will hold it just fine.

·
SupraCop
407 Posts
Is there a write up on MKIV for this upgrade. I bought the new lights from toyota but havent had a chance to instal yet. I know prac. nothing about electronics. Will it be easy to figure out when I get in there or is it a pain if you dont know what the hell your doing.
thanks
matt

·
1,005 Posts
nj94supratt said:
Is there a write up on MKIV for this upgrade. I bought the new lights from toyota but havent had a chance to instal yet. I know prac. nothing about electronics. Will it be easy to figure out when I get in there or is it a pain if you dont know what the hell your doing.
thanks
matt
I don't believe there is a write up on this, but honestly, as soon as you take out the headlights, you'll see the bolts that hold the signals in place. All you have to do is tap the wires and that should be simple to figure out...like which is the marker light and which is the turn signal. Did you get the harness for them from Jeff Watson or Curt Aigner?

·
Bad Texan Boy
4,266 Posts
Cobra01.. did you buy a wiring harness first??? That wiring harness from 93 to 96 wont fit to 97 and 98 signal lights... it cost like at least $40...;)

-Good Luck- :bigthumb:
Eimon

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
DragRacingSupra said:
Cobra01.. did you buy a wiring harness first??? That wiring harness from 93 to 96 wont fit to 97 and 98 signal lights... it cost like at least $40...;)

-Good Luck- :bigthumb:
Eimon
Your kidding me? What harness?! FUCK :mad: , where can i buy this harness? i didn't know that the 97-98 won't fit the 95' :(

·
Registered
677 Posts
you will need to drill the 3rd hole, it fits better

·
Bad Texan Boy
4,266 Posts
Cobra01 said:

Your kidding me? What harness?! FUCK :mad: , where can i buy this harness? i didn't know that the 97-98 won't fit the 95' :(
It's all good... you must buy a wiring harness kit from Toyota dealership... if you want to know why before you must buy a wiring kit then take the bulb out of Amber Signal light and try to put in 97-98 signal lights and you will see find out...

Anyway... you can PM to Curt Aigner from Elmhurst,IL or Jwatson (Jeff Watson) from Houston, TX to find out the price... I live by Jeff Watson like 5 or 6 miles ;)

G

·
81510-80086 rh lamp list 75.80 cost 55.33
81520-80086 lh lamp list 75.80 cost 55.33
81515-14390 harness [need 2] list 22.12 cost 16.15

(Curt's prices)

Also a question for those that have the 97-98 style turn signals. Is there any part of the housing / lens that is orange or is it just the reflection of the bulbs that make it look orange? I know the aftermarket 97-98 turn signals i've seen are totally clear, but I would rather have the OEM toyota ones.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Drill the 3rd hole.......unless you want the lights to fit ghetto! The 3rd hole keeps the edge from hanging a little <----- GHETTO :D
Drill the hole with a dremel or something simple like that....just a few minutes on each side. Oh, it needs to be a slice actually, not just a hole. Just make sure that when the light is in place, the sliced cut is not visible <----- just like the 97-98 bumpers are cut.

I haven't done this mod yet, but i will soon i think.........

So, is it easy to do the splicing or is it a rat's nest after you're done?? One reason I haven't done this yet is because I dont want ghetto wires running all behind my headlights :(

I hate electical work (except stereo install), so help a painter out ;)

·
1,005 Posts
use wire taps to do the wiring, it shouldn't look that bad since you can't really see any of it...its only a few wires...

Also, the bumper is somewhat flexible...i drilled a hole to where I thought it would align up to, then drilled the hole. When I actually put the bolt into the hole, I kinda pushed up against the bumper and fitted it into place...made it nice and tight against the bumper.

-Sam

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok forget this crap, it's gonna look like shit when i'm done with it. What if i just took the clear signals to a Toyota dealership and said "ok install these". how much would that cost you think? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Cobra01 said:
Ok forget this crap, it's gonna look like shit when i'm done with it. What if i just took the clear signals to a Toyota dealership and said "ok install these". how much would that cost you think? :rolleyes:

LMAO.............it's not THAT bad :D
Really though, it's just a slit in the bumper for the 3rd stud to slide through till the light reaches it's situated position...and once it's situated, the body of the marker light covers the slit....just dont make the slit come too far forward, or it may be visible after the light is mounted, see? It sounds more complicated than it is......probably like I'm making the wiring seem, haha

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
RIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT....like i said, how much for toyota to do it...or perhaps you? :D

G

·
hey.. someone answer my question above...

On the 97-98 style turn signals.. is there any part of the housing / lens that is orange or is it just the reflection of the bulbs that make it look orange?

·
Bad Texan Boy
4,266 Posts
93supra said:
hey.. someone answer my question above...

On the 97-98 style turn signals.. is there any part of the housing / lens that is orange or is it just the reflection of the bulbs that make it look orange?
i will give you a simple...

OEM 97-98 signal lights has an orange lens inside except parking lights...

Aftermark 97-98 signal lights are fully clear signa lights...

yes, you can put an orange bulb into fully clear signal lights... you can also use a blue signal lights but you could get a ticket.. but you wont get a ticket if you put a blue lights for parking lots... i put mine blue bulbs parkings lights inside my headights AND my other parking lights inside my 98 fully signal lights.. ;)

Cobra01 said:
RIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT....like i said, how much for toyota to do it...or perhaps you? :D
if you want toyota dealership do the job then it would cost like between $50 to $100... i could install for you FREE if you come down to houston for visit just in case... :D
But you must buy a wiring harness kit first!!!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts