Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has any year MK3 come with a lighter aluminum front bumper reinforcement? The 88 weighs a ton, either looking to swap or get rid of completely. (planning on a 89+ bumper swap anyway)

Also, if anyone has removed it, how then is the bumper mounted to the car? Does it turn into a flappy happy Honda Civic bumper:lol:

Thanks
Tom

· Addicted to oil
3,457 Posts
Would be interesting if someone made one out of aluminum or carbon fiber.

· Registered
572 Posts
The bumper mount also stiffens the chassis because it bolts solidly between the two "frame rails" and ties them directly together. You can save weight other places. I'm a freak about weight and even I didn't remove it (I did cut holes in in, but only to get more air to the FMIC, and I braced up the holes to regain the strength).

Track car or not, going a bit slower is better than getting hurt.

· Registered
61 Posts
I took mine out of a non-daily driver two years ago. Left the foam in and ran two pieces of 1/4-20 all-thread from the front suports to just to the side of the fog light area to keep it up. It doesn't move or flap. Really helped with the I/C routing options. I cannot tell that it made any difference to the stiffness of the car. Its targa so it would be difficult to tell anyway.

· Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mine is a targa as well! Just test fitted the Greddy 3-row and there do not appear to be any issues with pipe routing, although im sure if I remove the support that the Greddy will stay much cooler...

· I gots deep pockets cuz
1,241 Posts
Thats a nice intercooler. You could put a Turbo A duct in if you wanted more air to get to that. You just have to trim out of the support the small section that would allow air to flow through.

2,926 Posts
I'm no engineer, but without the crash bar if you were to get in an offset head on all the force is likely to transfer down one side of the car instead of transferring some of the energy to the opposite side frame rail. Basically means you die much easier/your front tire rearranges your feet/your steering wheel explodes your rib cage. Obviously at high speeds it will matter less (die no matter) and like I said though, I'm no engineer...

Locally a father was killed over the weekend driving his kids to pick up candy after someone smashed into them in a head on offset crash, point is it can happen anytime whether its a daily driver or not, even if you're obeying traffic laws. Man, I've been a dad for 20 days and I'm already thinking about shit differently...

· Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks, Turbo A duct?? I need to search this, is it just the trim job or are parts involved? BTW everyone say hi to Bin Ladin........target practice :)

· Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Excelent point. My wife and I are going to have our first in July, I'm too excited for words to describe:) Hopefully our daughter will be turning wrenches with daddy soon, LOL...

I'm no engineer, but without the crash bar if you were to get in an offset head on all the force is likely to transfer down one side of the car instead of transferring some of the energy to the opposite side frame rail. Basically means you die much easier/your front tire rearranges your feet/your steering wheel explodes your rib cage. Obviously at high speeds it will matter less (die no matter) and like I said though, I'm no engineer...

Locally a father was killed over the weekend driving his kids to pick up candy after someone smashed into them in a head on offset crash, point is it can happen anytime whether its a daily driver or not, even if you're obeying traffic laws. Man, I've been a dad for 20 days and I'm already thinking about shit differently...

· 1.5JZ Turbo Supra
3,696 Posts
Yea man a track car would be even more reasons to keep it. Because you will surely be going alot faster then you would on the street. but please do not take it off. Your IC is not designed like your crash absorber.

Find a way to keep it VS just taking it out for performance mods.

· Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yea man a track car would be even more reasons to keep it. Because you will surely be going alot faster then you would on the street. but please do not take it off. Your IC is not designed like your crash absorber.

Find a way to keep it VS just taking it out for performance mods.
Good call! I hope not, that would one expensive crash absorber!!! I'm still thinking about making a custom aluminum lightweight unit. I know that there are 3 ton suv's out there with aluminum bars that work fantastic! I assume it would save about half the weight...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.