Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am working on a 93 single turbo, 6SP. I am having issues with Titan Front control arms. First, unless I have mounted these upside down, the one marked left fits on the right and vice versa. Second, as I am tightening these down, I have a gap and am concerned that it should slide together and sit flush, correct?

Passenger Side Front...

Side view...

I am concerned that if I keep turning the castle nut that I will mess up the threads. If this looks correct to you guys, maybe I will put the wheels back on and lower it off the lift and let the weight of the car compress into place?

Thanks for the input guys.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
As I look at these images again, it appears that the arms should curve upward instead of curving down like installed. This may allow the arm to sit flush a the wheel. I installed the arm with the large nut on top, just as was shipped to me.

Really appreciate some input. I would have called Titan directly, but you see the date and time.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Probably should have posted this under the main mkiv location. Anybody else running these arms? I tried to do a search and none of the images would show up. Hope someone could way in here.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I would go with the markings on the arms.
I think you may be right but they shipped it to me with the ball joint end situated where I had to reverse them to get them on. I guess flip the arms over, follow the markings on the correct sides, reverse the ball joint end so that the large nylon nut is still on top and see if it fits flush without having to torque on the castle nut to get it to seat correctly. I actually thought that they tig welded the incorrect side markers on the arms during fabrication...maybe not!

Any other comments or ideas are welcome.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, option #2:

I put the left on left and right on right, but it took flipping the ball joint replacement end around to get the large nylon nut on top and the castle nut on bottom (like OEM).

Side view...

You can see that I still have quite a gap from what would be considering to be sitting flush. The center section is so thick that I am not even sure just how far they are supposed to travel upward. I really hope someone that has these arms will chime in soon, or Titan will happen to drop by and bestow some wisdom. I want to make sure that they are oriented correctly before torqueing them down. This option, the arms would be stronger based on physics/geometry instead of curving up like before. I just need a final blessing.

I would also like to know what people are doing with the lines that bolted to the OEM upper control arms. Zip tie is a little ghetto but I can rock that if needed.

Chadrick

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow. I must have purchased a rare item!! I would really like an image of another Supra with these installed. Anyone, please.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Man sucks you have not gotten much advice....might be better off contacting Titan for assistance.
I did. They don't ship these arms with instructions or images. I am waiting on them to get me an image and they said that they would have instructions made today, for others that purchase these. The posts that reference these arms don't have any images that are active/visible. Hopefully Titan will get this issue taken care of quickly and provide images/instructions to prevent issues/frustration for others that make a purchase of this magnitude. I am preparing for a long trip and wanted to be sure the suspension was up to the task...timeline is getting very tight.

·
Registered
13,584 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've looked at the thread in this link a few times after reading your post but didn't post a reply since the arms look so different. Not sure if Joshua's were early prototypes that were subsequently changed. See in here: http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?614496-Custom-Fabricated-Control-Arms&highlight=
Wow! Very different. In my shop as I type...the more I look at the arms, the more I am convinced that the last two pictures are correct. As a load is placed on the suspension, the ball joint end will not sit together but will likely parallel out and sit correctly. It would be at the incorrect angle if flipped over. I am just needing the verification on this, as well as the desired torque specs from Titan (requested this today as well). I do not follow the, snug it up and it will be fine routine. The large nut on top of the arms is a nylon nut and it should have its own torque setting, i would guess.

Nick, thank you for supplying a response. I do appreciate your time and assistance.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i had similar issue with the rears, the titan rear uppers. took them a week to get back to me but the space is supposed to be like that, they had to install them on a supra before their mechanics could confirm with me -_-

1 - 14 of 14 Posts