Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Respect
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Front main seal/ Oil Leak

Has anyone removed there front main seal before? Im 99% sure thats where my oil is leaking from and i need to get it off to fix it. The radiator, fan, ac compressor, and pulleys have all been removed but i can't figure out how to remove the belt tensioner. Is there a write up somewhere or can somone explain what needs to be done? Im guessing i just need to clean the cover and use some new rtv but im not there yet.

·
damn '02's...
649 Posts
You need to remove the timing belt covers as well, these will also expose the bolts that hold the serpentine belt tensioner on as well. :) You will need to remove the entire timing belt cover, crank pulley, and timing belt gear/pickup star. You will need a puller for both the crank pulley and the timing belt gear. :) I'm changing my front main tonight actually.

:cool:

·
Respect
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Damn well i'll get some pictures of it so that i can get some opinions. The whole bottom of my motor/cross member is soaked with oil. I have like 1/2 and inch of gunk that i can scrape off with my finger. Any tips on removing the crank pulley bolt?

·
OCC
897 Posts
Jarrett,

Looking at those pics, you may have more than a crank seal leak. It looks like there is oil above the crank seal that leads me to say that you have other leaks going on there. Once the plastic covers are off, you should be able to see everything. Keep looking up until you see dry, clean metal. =)

Shoot some more pics once the front cover is off and we'll try to help ya.

Crank bolt is a biotch w/out the right tools. Do a search, you'll find different methods... personally, the factory SST is the only way to go.

Also, invest in a FSM set.

sushi

·
SUPRAS FOR LIFE
4,188 Posts
yup...i agree with sushi.....there is more than ure front main seal leakin man....damn i thought my motor was bad in leakin.....how many miles do u have jarett.....i would first clean the shyt out of the block..n see were the leak is coming from...maybe ure valve cover gaskets....check everything out man!!

·
Respect
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Sheet! It has 90k but from thos photos you can tell its been leakn for quite some time because of how thick the gunk is. I'll check everything tomorrow but its really a pain in the ass because i have another car to work on. Taking those valve covers off is a pita because of the back bolts.I'll check the front main seal and see how bad that is, then i'll look for other spots. If only there were some supra guys in my area.....its soo sad to be the lone mkiv owner :cry:

·
Mid-life Realization!
2,530 Posts
Re: Front main seal/ Oil Leak

Jarrett H said:
Im 99% sure thats where my oil is leaking from and i need to get it off to fix it.
And I thought your car was just so happy being parked next to another Supra that it :wackit: on my driveway Sunday ;)

Brad

·
Respect
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Re: Re: Front main seal/ Oil Leak

banton said:
And I thought your car was just so happy being parked next to another Supra that it :wackit: on my driveway Sunday ;)

Brad
Did it really?! I didn't know it was leaking so bad till i got home and woke up the next morning with a shiet load of oil underneith. I think the drive home really got it going. Im very sorry for that brad. Tell your miss im sorry too. I definetly wouldn't have parked in youro driveway if i thought it was leaking like that. :cry: I also wouldln't have taken a 3 hour drive up there with it.

·
Mid-life Realization!
2,530 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Front main seal/ Oil Leak

Jarrett H said:
Did it really?! I didn't know it was leaking so bad till i got home and woke up the next morning with a shiet load of oil underneith. I think the drive home really got it going. Im very sorry for that brad. Tell your miss im sorry too. I definetly wouldn't have parked in youro driveway if i thought it was leaking like that. :cry: I also wouldln't have taken a 3 hour drive up there with it.
No need to apologize, I was just given you crap, Jarrett. It wasn't that bad and was easily removed. I just hope you are able to get it fixed without too much trouble.

Good luck,
Brad

·
1400rwhp/8 Sec Club
2,832 Posts
If you didnt get the bolt off.... takt eh 22mm 6pt socket... on a breaker bar.. and i use a jack handle as a additional breaker bar... have someone inside the car with the foot on the brake and the car in 4th gear... and crack that bitch loose!!

·
Premium Member
7,801 Posts
SteelCitySupra said:
If you didnt get the bolt off.... takt eh 22mm 6pt socket... on a breaker bar.. and i use a jack handle as a additional breaker bar... have someone inside the car with the foot on the brake and the car in 4th gear... and crack that bitch loose!!
He's an auto............

:)

Good luck jarrett..........my advice is the 1" impact :D

·
Registered
193 Posts
All I can add to this is that I had a hell of a time getting my pulley bolt off. I spent days trying different impact guns.....nothing.....spent more days trying to round up a larger compressor....nothing.....spent more time with myself and a big buddy of mine trying to crack the bolt loose with man muscle......nothing (maybe were weak).....then....after much research and not wanting to try the starter method I finally broke down and did it and I kicked myself in the ass for days....it is so simplistic and easy it is unbelievable......use the starter method to break your bolt.....you will save many hours of unwasted time and frustration......

·
Registered
240 Posts
22 MM socket on the bolt..... 6 foot breaker bar to go against the ground and get out of the way... get in the car tap the starter a few times like a second each time... that should break it loose.... good luck... few tricks of the trade...

·
Registered
193 Posts
As BlitzTT said this is the way to do it.....I wedged mine between the passenger side frame with the same success.....that bolt was on so tight it actually lifted the front end of mar car with the starter method for a split second until the bolt broke loose.....I am sure it was never off since 94....

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I had problems with 17mm bolts, can't imagine 22mm ones. Hope I won't have such issues.

Hope you find and seal all the leaks. :)

·
Premium Member
7,801 Posts
huffer said:
All I can add to this is that I had a hell of a time getting my pulley bolt off. I spent days trying different impact guns.....nothing.....spent more days trying to round up a larger compressor....nothing.....spent more time with myself and a big buddy of mine trying to crack the bolt loose with man muscle......nothing (maybe were weak).....then....after much research and not wanting to try the starter method I finally broke down and did it and I kicked myself in the ass for days....it is so simplistic and easy it is unbelievable......use the starter method to break your bolt.....you will save many hours of unwasted time and frustration......
That way sounds kinda dangerous :eek:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts