Supra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Lets go Nets
2,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, i know my stock front two speakers are blown, i need to replace them. what is my best bet? i was reading how no 4" speakers fit in there? wtf? i don't want to fuss with some 6'5" bracket speaker thing if possible? any prices on speakers that might fit? how much are new stock ones?

Brett

·
Lets go Nets
2,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what do they mean by re-drill the speaker holes? is that hard? do i just drill something and im done?

Brett

G

·
I had no idea that the '94 Supra had 4" speakers in the doors... I always thoght that they would be larger...

Not having taken apart a Mk4 door, I have no idea what your mounting depth is like, but I know that on my '89, the mounting depth was very shallow. You can use a spacing ring to get a bit more depth from it, if need be.

Personally, I've never heard a 4" speaker that I found satisfying, but YMMV.

If you don't want to get into a bunch of custom work, then your best choice is likely going to be to get a set of 4" speakers, and make 'em fit.

Redrilling holes usually means that the speaker holes in the factory speaker are not at standard radius, and/or spacing around the speaker. You need to drill in new screw holes. Usually not a big deal.

FWIW, new factory speakers are likely to cost more than decent aftermarkt ones will.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
i got 42.5i infinity kappa's (4 inch speakers, they work great). you gotta buy some fiberglass (5 bucks), cut it, and melt some holds to make them fit.

·
In The Sonoran Desert
468 Posts
Just for the record there are NO speakers that will fit the stock location other than stock speakers. Anything else will require some custom work.

been there, done that. At least Best Buy refunds $$ without question

·
Registered
624 Posts
You are wrong sir. I had my stock speakers replaced with 4" Kicker speakers. It was a component system which also replaces the upper dash tweeters. You have to replace all four but you can keep the stock amp. They sound great. I will get the model number for you if you want.

·
In The Sonoran Desert
468 Posts
that's great. model numbers would be veyr useful. Are you saying they literally dropped right in, screw holes lined up, no gaps, no problems? If so, I would appreciate it greatly if you'd share the model number as I am tired of replacing my stock ones with other stock ones every few months.

·
Registered
624 Posts
They were installed by Audio Jam here in Delaware. The guy said they fit perfectly. Remember you have to by the component system which includes front tweeters. They are the Kicker model RS4C ( actually 4 1/4 " ) . If you call Eddie at Audio Jam 302-832-2868 he can give you a price and ship them to you or you can find them at your own audio shop. Hope this helps.

·
Lets go Nets
2,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Geddy Lee said:
They were installed by Audio Jam here in Delaware. The guy said they fit perfectly. Remember you have to by the component system which includes front tweeters. They are the Kicker model RS4C ( actually 4 1/4 " ) . If you call Eddie at Audio Jam 302-832-2868 he can give you a price and ship them to you or you can find them at your own audio shop. Hope this helps.
thanks for the info man, thats a great help.

do you remember how much you paid? i don't want to bother this dude if i don't have to, for a minor thing like prices on a speaker.

Brett

·
Lets go Nets
2,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
G

·
get the diamond audio hex 4" component. very good sounding. I got the 5 1/4 with custom baffle made in the door and that thing sounds awesome. Very pricey .. but hey, you pay for what you get.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I paid $ 300.00 for the speakers and installation. It took them about 6 hours to install . The door speakers were relatively easy but you have to take the whole dash apart to get to the tweeters. The installation charge was well worth it to me and now I can crank it up without that fucking vibrating blown door speaker rattling right next to me.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Also the one of the Audio Jam managers, Tom Bromall, has a 97 Supra TT, so he's always a big help to me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts