Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace my front speakers and want to know what size aftermarket ones to get. I want something that is a direct fit. Also, what speaker would you guys recommend getting. I like a lot of sound but clarity is more important to me than all out volume. Thanks for your help...

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
toyota got stingy on this one... there are no aftermarket speakers that fit exactly in the front. i forgot the exact size, but it's about 4". there are a lot of 4" speakers out there but the supra front speakers has 4 screw holes, most aftermarket speakers i've seen have 3... i took my door apart to find that the Boston Acousics I got didn't fit, exactly, so i returned them. If you open it up and take a look, you'll see what i mean. I'm thinking about retro fitting 6" speakers up front. A guy on this forum makes custom braces for this purpose. I'm gonna save some money and do some custom work on my car. best of luck to ya.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
money042 said:
toyota got stingy on this one... there are no aftermarket speakers that fit exactly in the front. i forgot the exact size, but it's about 4". there are a lot of 4" speakers out there but the supra front speakers has 4 screw holes, most aftermarket speakers i've seen have 3... i took my door apart to find that the Boston Acousics I got didn't fit, exactly, so i returned them. If you open it up and take a look, you'll see what i mean. I'm thinking about retro fitting 6" speakers up front. A guy on this forum makes custom braces for this purpose. I'm gonna save some money and do some custom work on my car. best of luck to ya.

Whoops you got em backwards.. the factory supra speakers in the front are 3 holed, aftermarket speakers are 4 holed. (I got one [supra spkr] sitting in front of me blown)

And I've got new Polk 5" that don't fit... dang

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
A quick and dirty technique but works well is to remove the factory grill and the huge piece that the stock speaker is screwed to. I was able to fit 6.5" speakers up front by doing this. To get better sound buy a set of those "protective" speaker cones.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I was going with 6.5 front speakers in the door and using my stock treeters in the dash. What would be the 6.5 speaker of choice? Thanks for the help.

David B
94TT 6-spd

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JL Audio XR 6.5 inch component set. These speakers are the mkIV of Audio.

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
front speakers

Can anyone confirm....? I understood that in the newer Sups, maybe 91 and 92, they actually had room for bigger (6x9) in the front......it's something I heard a long time ago, but never confirmed..... Figured it'd be easy enough to find a used door to pull the brackets off of or whatever....

Elvis

1 - 7 of 7 Posts