Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Driver Down
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Any of you have experience with front stage tuning?

I have a 03' F150 X-cab.

I have room for 8" mids in the factory location (mid-door) (minor trimming)

I fooled around today and listened to a set of low-end Pioneer 6.5" 3-ways hooked up to a Rampage 50x2 amp (biggggg power! bling-bling ;) ) in different locations (door, kick, etc)

I like the imaging associated with the kicks, but I also want a strong presence of midbass.. and the small sealed kick panels will kill some of the lower extension. That and a 6.5" is about the limit for stuffing into the dead-pedal area (or whatever it's called)

Here are the ideas floating around in my head:

1) 2-way + midbass

- 6.5-8" dedicated (bandpassed) midbass in doors
- 6.5" + 1" 2-way in kicks

- More is better right? j/k :D Sounds like it would give more midbass, but may not due to cancellation issues.. no experience here :(

2) 3-way

- 6.5" in door
- 4" + 1" in kick

Seems like a good idea, until you talk to a SQ guy. Falts include: Multiple point source, anomalies in the crossovers, cancellation issues, and expense (again, no experiences here)

3) 2-way door

- 6.5" in door
- 1" in "braxial" mount or aiming cup.

- falts include: poor imaging

4) K.I.S.S. - 2-way in kicks

- 6.5" + 1" in kicks

Regarded as a great SQ setup, falts include lacking midbass, taking up a lot of room

#4 seems to be the least intrusive method, 1 is obviously most expensive (2ch amp + 1ch amp)

I'm wondering really how big of an impact a 3-point source system really WOULD have on imaging/SQ.. sure it would falter in the competition lanes.. but for the average joe would it really be noticable?

Just hoping to catch someone w/ some experience w/ these system types that could offer advice or oppinions on what to do! :)

And FWIW, the components will most likely be CDT HD series driven by a JL 300/2 or equivelent amp.

BTW: this is a cross-post from a true dedicated car audio forum.. I just figured What the hell.. i'll try Supraforums, too :p

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
Use a dedicated 8" midbass driver, do not use a sub, put it in the door. Then go 6.5 or 5.25" in kicks with the tweets either in kicks or if you can crossfire on the A-Pillar. Use the standard crossover with the 2 way components and cut them off around 150-200hz or so. Then use a bandpass for the midbass at 50-60hz to 150-200hz (wherever you high passed your mid) Imaging won't be bad in this regards because your imaging really starts up in the higher frequencies. Midbass will be greatly improved (make sure you sound deaden those doors) and will provide pretty smooth sound if done right.

·
Driver Down
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was thinking about something..

What about spending the extra dough on a higher quality component set as opposed to the 8" in the doors...

CDT Eurosports, instead of HD's.. or maybe the new Focal K2 Power speakers..

Just a thought!

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
The Eurosports are flippin expensive...and even then the midbass won't be as good as an 8" midbass. However if you have the cash then go with the 3 way 6.5" Eurosports and I'm 100% sure you won't be dissapointed.

·
Driver Down
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
#1SomeGuy said:
The Eurosports are flippin expensive...and even then the midbass won't be as good as an 8" midbass. However if you have the cash then go with the 3 way 6.5" Eurosports and I'm 100% sure you won't be dissapointed.
They are on sale @ thezeb :D

I'll have to really think this one through.. 8" midbasses mean I need another amp, so i'm not sure if they will be cost effective for the results.. (I am getting a JL Audio 300/2 for the components.. thats $300 right there)

Wish someone around here had a setup like this so I could listen first hand :D

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
I'm from www.caraudioforum.com so you could check around there I'm sure someone would have a setup that you could listen to. I know they're on sale, but when they're still like 800 bucks or more for a set that's just crazy. I mean 6.5" component set for 200 or so, depending on what you get, 8" midbass drivers maybe 150 bucks? Another amp, say a US acoustics is about $150 bucks...that's still way less then eurosports!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts