Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thomas,
Since you have worked with Supras quite often, can you say what different scenarios you have experimented with for the front stage? Which one works the best? There are a few different scenarios that I can think of, which do you think is best?

1. Stock Placements used, tweeter in dash, woofer in door.
2. 6.5" in door, along with tweeter mounted in door.
3. 6.5" in door, tweeter in kickpanel.
4. 6.5" in door, mid and tweet in kickpanel.
5. 6.5" and tweet in kickpanel.
6. HCLD's with 6.5" in kickpanel or door(dunno if they would fit)

Thanks for the help. Just curious.

Alan

·
DONT HASSLE THE HOFF
893 Posts
Originally posted by aorbeta:
Thomas,
Since you have worked with Supras quite often, can you say what different scenarios you have experimented with for the front stage? Which one works the best? There are a few different scenarios that I can think of, which do you think is best?

Alan

Where would you have room to mount the horns under the dash? It's already a tight fit as far as leg room goes.... I still have the Image Horns out of my old car but I can't see them fitting in the Supra at least not without some major work like molding it into the lower dash or something. Would be nice though, I had awesome front staging with these and 6 1/2's in the kick panels.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, that's what I was wondering about with the placement of the horns. I haven't seen that done with a Supra before, and I don't think even the mini-horns from Image Dynamics would fit well. Actually, now that I am typing, I thought there may have been an article with a Red Supra in Car Stereo Review about 2 years ago that had horns. Anyone remember or have that article? I remember the sub/amp placement, it had two Xtant amps, and two 10" Image Dynamics subs sandwiched between the back seat and trunk, firing towards the front of the car....

Alan

D

·
0 Posts
I have Infinity Kappa 6.5" components up front, with the tweeters mounted in the door and the woofers in the stock location (minus all that crap that was in there before). To my mind, it sounds great. This is my first non-stock stereo system in a car though.

Here is a pic of the mounting: http://cad.mdsog.net/supra/PB250282.JPG

They're powered by an Alpine V12-series 5-channel amp, along with the Kappa coaxial 6.5" rears and a ESX (same as JL 10W6) sub in a sealed box.

Dylan Savage
1994 Supra TT http://cad.mdsog.net/supra/

Originally posted by aorbeta:
Thomas,

Alan
Tweeters

·
651 Posts
Aorbeta,
Sorry for the delay. Lemme throw out my opinion for speaker location in the Supra.

First, I feel the best front stage can be obtained by using a mid/tweet in the kickpanels and the sub in the doors. (With a three-way system) If someone would take the time to also fabricate the mid-bass driver in to the floor it would be ideal but, it doesn't seem to be able to be done without investing a bunch of time and modifiying the floor.

Almost any setup using the kickpanels for speaker location will provide the best imaging. IMO

The kickpanels provide the most equal distance between the left and right channels thus giving the most ideal center image.

Tom Kenyon
Custom Sounds
San Antonio, Texas

·
651 Posts
Also, Compression drivers would be possible in the Supra..I myself have never done it but have heard of a Supra that did... I'm just not a big fan of them. (Supras yes, Compression drivers, no)

Tom Kenyon

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Thomas. I'll try either a coax or combo 4" mid/tweet in the kicks and 6.5" in the door.

Alan

·
Registered
55 Posts
Ive installed dynaudio spilts in my Mkiv.
Ive got the 6's mounted in doors via a mdf ring screwed to original plastic enclosure.
Had to cut the top out of the enclosure tho and due to the huge alloy baskets i had to trim some metal aswell.
Ive installed the tweets in factory postion which was a huge job involving taking whole dash out . Was able to use existing tweeter brackets to hold them , and carefully removed the stock tweeters from there grills and machined the plastic out so they just act as dummy covers.
I wanted to keep the stock look so i think it was worth the trouble , but those tweeters are in there for life.
If anyone else has attempted such a mission id like to know . :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Originally posted by Rz:
Ive installed dynaudio spilts in my Mkiv.
Ive got the 6's mounted in doors via a mdf ring screwed to original plastic enclosure.
Had to cut the top out of the enclosure tho and due to the huge alloy baskets i had to trim some metal aswell.
Ive installed the tweets in factory postion which was a huge job involving taking whole dash out . Was able to use existing tweeter brackets to hold them , and carefully removed the stock tweeters from there grills and machined the plastic out so they just act as dummy covers.
I wanted to keep the stock look so i think it was worth the trouble , but those tweeters are in there for life.
If anyone else has attempted such a mission id like to know . :)
I still don't understand why you couldn't just pry the stock tweeter enclosures out of the dash...cut the brackets off the stock tweeters...remove them...and fab a way to hold the new tweeters in their place. it just doesn't seem that hard to me...but I must be missing something. ;-)

Chad "Audiophile Illiterate" H.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Ive heard of that approach being used , prying tweeters out from above but i think you would end up breaking grill.
Dynaudio tweets had to installed from underneath as they are very large.
Bracket need to be modified anyway because stock tweets have offset hole and different mounting depth. Impossible job to do from above , well ... to do it neatly.
Once dash was out it was so easy to work on.

·
651 Posts
I've seen the ol' "Pry the dash off and remount the tweeter covers" trick on a few Supras and didn't see too many negatives from doing this. You will have to be careful if you do it IMO. Disaster is lurking around every corner when prying something that isn't supposed to be removed in that fashion.

To do it right however, you will have to remove the dash and yes, it is a first class pain in the ass.

Put em' in the kick panels. Its easier and I like the imaging they provide anyhow.

Tom Kenyon
Custom Sounds
San Antonio, Texas
210-340-4000

·
651 Posts
Thanks for the post Mr. 94.

Sure would like to post some others..

That would make it much easier on me.

I am constantly emailing the same pictures over and over again.

Tom Kenyon

1 - 13 of 13 Posts