Supra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What do y'all think about this tire wear? I'm seeing extreme wear only on the inside 3/4 inch of the front tires. This is the passenger front tire, 265x18 (18x9.5 +50 rims) 10K miles, regular street driving with a Lance alignment. My previous 265x18 tires got 30K miles with the OEM alignment before replacement. The driver front tire is similiar, but not quite as bad as this one.

I've checked all the suspension (all original OEM), and everything is tight. I don't see anything obvious with the ball joints, control arms, bearings or tie rods. The car drives great, tracks straight and does not have any shimmies or wandering. Steering is tight, too.

Thoughts?

Tire Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber Road surface

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread

· Super Moderator
14,009 Posts
Since you're already on a Lance alignment, and seeing uneven wear between different sides - Get an alignment appointment and see if anything settled weird/came loose/etc in the alignment adjustment parts.
While the car is on the rack, I'd seriously re-inspect all your ball joints, control arm bushings, and inner/outer tie rods. Remember the forces involved that push and pull against all these parts; initial/moderate slop or wear will be difficult to detect by hand unless you're a beefcake and really leaning/pulling/pushing on it like crazy, and that's much easier to do confidently when the car is on an alignment rack vs jackstands in a garage.

· Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good feedback. Much appreciated. With such a specific wear pattern, I was curious if anyone had experienced.

I was thinking pretty much the same, get it on a rack with the weight on the turn-plates and recheck with those same tires so the techs can see where the issues may be. Of course, it may be time for some suspension/bushings refreshing, but I'd rather see what NEEDS to be replaced before throwing money on parts that did not need to be replaced.

I was also thinking about going to a narrower front tire, 255 or so.

· From the land down under
5,624 Posts
They look like NT-05's?

I have/had them and found the inner edges wore quicker than expected with the Lance alignment, and Im on 255/40/17 so slightly thinner than yours.

Yours actually appear to be rubbing on something though from the pic you posted? Are there any witness marks on the car in the guard arch area?

· Super Moderator
14,009 Posts
They look like NT-05's?

I have/had them and found the inner edges wore quicker than expected with the Lance alignment, and Im on 255/40/17 so slightly thinner than yours.

Yours actually appear to be rubbing on something though from the pic you posted? Are there any witness marks on the car in the guard arch area?
I'm not 100% convinced it's rubbing on anything, that wear pattern can happen with excessive toe-in. It's weird and not common but I've seen it before.

• Helpful
Reactions: Mr Ree NZ

· Registered
1993 JDM 5spd SZ hardtop in 202 blek.
659 Posts
Of course, it may be time for some suspension/bushings refreshing, but I'd rather see what NEEDS to be replaced before throwing money on parts that did not need to be replaced.
If you're still running original 25-30 year old bushes it's probably safe to say that they do need to be replaced at this point.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts