Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
King Ding-a-ling!
3,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before the Forum went down for a while, there was a thread on removing your front turn signals. I decided that the car would look better and there would be a possible performance gain by doing this. I recently installed a tranny cooler in the drivers side vent and the stock smic needs all of the help it can get! I instantly headed for the garage. As discussed in the previous thread (wich no longer exists), I wired my turn signal lights into the stock parking light location 93.5-96 style headlights. I replaced the lights with orange 194 style lamps which were a direct fit. The only problem now was that they did not draw enough current for the correct flash rate so I had to wire a 50 ohm 1 watt resistor form the positive side to ground. That corrected that problem. The only problem I can see now is that I wish those turn signal lights were a little brighter.
Here is a pic.

Sorry it was dark outside!

·
Supraholic/Boostaholic
1,513 Posts
Looks very nice. Looks like an aftermarket front bumper, can't think of name right now. Now you're getting a wee bit more air to your upper intercooler. :D

Chris

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yup, that's exactly what I did too, and my parking light definetly is not bright enough, but it's worth not having obnoxious lights in the front like that, it kinda reminds me of those guys who buy piaa fog lights from auto zone and drill them into the front of their car.... I hate excess lights on a car, the 97/98's aren't bad with certain front ends, but this is definetly a good, no cost modification, that actually brings in 33% more cold air to the stock intercooler once the side marker is removed.... you might gain a horse or two, but that's not why do do it....it definelty makes the supra look a lot smoother, especially for those with stock fronts...

·
King Ding-a-ling!
3,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have decided that I will wire in two bosh relays to flash my side marker lights as well as use them for parking lights kind of like the camaros do. Make them "dual purpose"
Speedworksusa... which HID kit do you have?

Brandon

·
Member Thingy
1,119 Posts
spliced my turn signals into my fog lights yesterday. no resistors needed, they blinked at normal rate. very easy straight forward mod. a few butt connectors and all is well. :) i ended up putting 100 watt h3 fog bulbs in there, they seem a bit brighter and the signals are easily visible from far distances.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I recently moved my turn signals from the sidelights to the fogs. It's much brighter ! 100w, painted the bulbs orange, with the special paint. I was sick of other drivers clearly not being able to see me signalling. Though it was worst on roundabouts !:p

·
Lets go Nets
2,956 Posts
is it legal without turn signals? how do you put on bodykit and turn signals?

Brett

·
Ex Mkiv TT Owner
137 Posts
anyone have a picture of this don e to a silver car. thanks.

·
Lets go Nets
2,956 Posts
hey nobody every asnwered me, time to bump this post,

is it legal to have no turn signals?

-Brett

·
King Ding-a-ling!
3,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I rerouted my turn signal wiring to my parking linght. I have the older 93-96 style headlights. I then replaced the clear parking light bulbs with amber bulbs. There are already parking lights on the side of the bumper. So all of my lights are still intact. Just rearranged.

Brandon

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts