1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Name: Mike
Locations: Miami, FL.
Price: $125.00 Shipped

After almost two years of trial, error, headaches, heartaches, heartbreaks, time, and lots of money invested -- I feel comfortable enough that I can finally make this available to everyone on this Forum. Approved by FasTTurbo & Biologist.

For those of you who haven't been following, and want to catch up...here is the original discussion/development thread > 97/98 Dash Panel Paint Color - Declassified

Thanks to Rony (RonyMR2), Stu Hagen, and everyone else who chimed in throughout the latter part of this process. I really appreciate the feedback, but enough of the mushy shit...lets paint some dash panels!

----------

Price
  • $125/per can, includes shipping & PayPal fees
  • No discounts for buying two, three, etc. Price is per unit
  • Non refundable, please read the FAQ below before purchase
  • International shipping is available
  • Tracking will be provided

For Sale
  • I have 11 cans available and ready to go -- FIRST come FIRST serve as of 1/28/2019.

How to Buy
  • Please PM me with your government name, phone number, shipping address, forum username, and qty desired
  • PayPal information will become available upon reply
  • Note: I will not hold or reserve a spot for you. I will not wait till you get around to using PayPal. If you PM me, be ready

Instructions
  • Prep/sand your panels
  • Primer panels with SEM 39143 Trim Black
  • Apply 97/98 dash panel paint. Paint will appear satin when wet. Give it a few minutes to flash off and it will turn matte. Wait until it turns matte before applying second, third coat, etc.

FAQ
* Q. Will it match my existing panels perfectly? -- NO, Probably NOT. DO NOT expect this to automatically match whatever you currently have. REMEMBER, this paint is based off a BRAND NEW FRESH...NEVER BREATHED ON...97/98 panel which I personally bought directly from Toyota. It has not been beat up/faded by the sun for 20-25 years, nor has it had ANY cleaning agents slathered all over it. I've had a few 97 & 98 Supras at my disposal for compare and contrast. I've noticed those panels have become darker with time and the pearl/flake has somewhat faded. Again, this paint I'm providing was matched from a NEW FRESH panel and will most likely be lighter and/or have a slightly different tone. Use at your discretion and PLEASE view the "Development Thread" for pictures and insight. I am not responsible for it not matching 100% and there will be no refunds granted.

* Q. How accurate/close is it to the original '97/98 dash trim color? -- Please see development thread (97/98 Dash Panel Paint Color - Declassified). Pretty DAMN accurate based off the panel I had at my disposal. It has the right amount of flake/pearl (difficult to see in pictures) and matte consistency. It flops accurately both in the sun and in the shade.

* Q. Does it have the flake/glittery look and feel like the original panels? -- Yes and yes. You can't see the flake in pictures, but when you see it with your own eyes, it's evident.

* Q. Do I need a spray booth or anything special? -- NOPE! You can do this outside, in a well ventilated garage, or your kitchen table.

* Q. How do you prep the panels for paint? -- Eventually I'll do a write-up, but for now please search the forums. There are quite a few threads/DIY's out there. If your paint is gooey or sticky, use Goof Off FG659 Trigger Spray. Don't use any aerosols or paint remover spray cans. Those are really aggressive and will damage your panels. Lightly sand BY HAND. Sanding machines are really aggressive/fast and will in some cases shave/burn chunks of plastic or leave unwanted gashes in the panels. Take your time with this and use some elbow grease. Primer ALL PANELS with SEM 39143 Trim Black before applying base coat.

* Q. How come you don't use a clear coat? -- Toyota didn't use clear coat on the 97/98 panels, which is how they were able to achieve that super matte/ashy finish. It is also the same reason why the panels are easily scratched and fade/darken with time -- they absorb cleaning agents and other chemicals.

* Q. Can I use my own clear coat or a spray can clear coat? -- Do whatever you want. We're all adults here. Toyota didn't add clear, so I didn't add clear. I will share this with you from personal experience; I've used matte clear in a spray can before and it completely screws up the paint. It gives it a milky white type haze finish and looks NOTHING like what you're thinking it will look like. Save the headache. For the bodyshop enthusiasts, go ahead and spray it with matte clear...but it's not going to look like what Toyota did. Matte clear in the automotive paint world is 99.9% of the time satin and doesn't provide a "true" matte finish. Not like base-coat anyway, and not like what this paint color is intended to be. That said, In the near future I plan on finding a solution that will protect your panels while keeping the same matte finish.

* Q. How long will it last? -- Who knows. Do you eat french fries in your Supra and touch your dash panels afterwards? Are you a Back-To-Black or Armor All on my toast type of guy (in other words, you use it on everything)? So I really don't know. It's durable, it's not going to just fall off. Don't mistreat it or hit it with chemicals or rub the life out of it with towels and it will last a long time.

* Q. How much can (1) can of paint cover? -- I started experimenting with 3oz of material. I was able to cover a full set of panels with (2) coats. I wasn't really happy with that. Even though (2) coats is enough, I wanted a bit more. I didn't like the feeling of barely making it through. Manufacturer recommends that an 8oz can be filled with about 3.44oz of material. Pneumatic systems will only fill a can to recommended manufacturer specs. I went manual as a result. I'm filling these with 4oz for you guys. I was able to respray all my panels with two good coats.

* Q. So how do I clean it? -- Very similar to how you'd clean a matte wall. Very carefully. You must clean it with soft materials and gentle solutions. I'll provide a DIY on how to clean it so you wont screw it up. Worst case, buy another can.

* Q. What kind of paint did you use to develop the formula? -- BASF-RM. Arguably one of the best.

* Q. What kind of paint will be in the spray can? -- BASF-RM.

----------

Pictures
Note: I placed the PPG logo on some of these images for reference. Images that contain the PPG logo represent the initial color matching efforts before I switch over to BASF RM. Images without the PPG logo and/or that contain the RM logo is the final product/formula and what you will receive.

More pics in original development thread...

·
Champagne Papi
5,697 Posts
Probably the most important question you should answer in your OP is one can enough to thoroughly cover the panels? Also how many coats do you recommend?

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Awesome stuff! Does it bother anyone else that the passengers window switch trim panel is black? Unless I am mistaken, the 97-98's have a grey DS but a black PS? Sorry to jack...

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
CosmicState & Shant > Thanks for the feedback. I updated the FAQ.

To answer your questions, I went through a bit of trial and error in terms of filling amounts, filling machines, cans, nozzles, etc. For my test runs, I had a local store fill up some cans. They had a pneumatic machine and only pumped in about 3oz of material at most. One can was enough to cover a full set, but barely. I decided to go with a manual machine so that I can control the amounts. It's prison work filling up these cans as I have to sit there and stroke/pump the machine half a dozen times per can. Fucking workout. Anyway, I'm overfilling them slightly and able to do a full set with one can. Two coats is enough. I also upgraded the nozzles for better covered. You don't want to drown your panels in paint.

Here are a few pics of the initial PPG trial runs...

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BTW, if guys can, I'm going to update the all these images so please try not to quote them when replying.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
FirstStateCamber > I don't mind it much. There is no continuation on the passengers side so, to me, the black trim blends in with the door. But hey, if you want to paint it...go for it. It won't look bad at all. After some of you use the paint, please post the pics. Would love to see what you guys do with it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
awesome ill order a couple cans in a bit

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Everything has shipped. Tracking numbers were all updated thru PayPal. Thank all of you for buying. Please report back and post pictures. Would love to see what it looks like in your car.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hope everyone had a good weekend. A few of you have already received and/or will be receiving your paint today. Everyone else will most likely receive it by weeks end...

Rule of thumb:
  1. Please shake the life out of the cans to make sure that everything is mixed properly (for 1 minute before painting)
  2. Before applying onto your panels, make sure you spray the can a few times (into the atmosphere) away from the items you're painting. Can's sometimes spit at first until the propellant makes its way through
  3. For optimal adhesion and drying, try to spray when the temp is between 65 – 85 degrees. Cooler is better. 75 degrees and no humidity – perfect
  4. Please wait a minimum of 5 minutes between coats. Remember this paint will be satin/semi-gloss at first before its turns matte. Make sure it turns matte before adding a second coat

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey all, I've received alot of questions concerning panel prep, etc. I already posted this to the development thread, figured I'd do a quick post here as well. Here are a few items to use that could help you out. They aren't really needed -- I didn't use these to paint my panels the last time out before I installed them -- but for you guys that like going the extra mile...here it is:

----------
Prep ALL - This is pre-cleaner which is used to clean your panels prior to applying any paint. It eliminates wax and grease. Note, once the panels are painted...do not use pre-cleaner again. After sanding, wipe your panels down with water and a damp microfiber towel. Let it dry. You can also put them under the sink and rinse out. Remember to let them dry completely. This is very important as any droplet of water that jumps up onto the panel will react. Once dry, hit your panels with pre-cleaner and wipe with a microfiber. This will eliminate any grease or chemicals that accidentally got onto the panels while handling. You can buy a can at almost any auto parts store.

Tac Rag - These rags are used after pre-cleaner, and the last step before painting. It can be used between coats as well (specially if you're painting outdoors). If used between coats, make sure the paint flashes off properly and that its dry to the touch. Wipe down softly, then go for the second, third, fourth coat etc. It's sticky texture scoops up any dust and/or debris that could potentially fall on your panels.

Any questions, let me know.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts