Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
EFI Certified Tuner
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For Sale or Trade + cash for an AEM EMS (30-1101):

1. Lexus 1995 SC300 5 speed manual transmission ECU (obd I)

2. Power House Racing MAP-ECU (complete with manual, CD, original box, fields harness, and never used IAT sensor)

Total: $550

It's already wired together and is a plug and play solution for any turbo 2jz folks out there.
Contact Email: [email protected]

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
I wish you the best of luck, but with PHR dropping support for the map ECU, I fear they just became paper weights.

·
EFI Certified Tuner
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gadfly said:
I wish you the best of luck, but with PHR dropping support for the map ECU, I fear they just became paper weights.
When and where did PHR say they were dropping support for the Map-Ecu?

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Go look in PHR's section"

8secsupra said:
To sum up, effective March 1, 2006, Powerhouse Racing will NO LONGER carry or support the MAP ECU from Performance Motor Research. Please contact Performance Motor Research directly through the website www.mapecu.co.nz with questions regarding the MAP ECU, software bugs, connection issues, and technical-related questions.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Jarrett Humphreys,
President/CEO

If you have problems or questions now you have to call the company that made them, which i think is in New Zealand, or somthing like that... At least the VPC/GCC values will go up!

·
EFI Certified Tuner
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gadfly said:
Go look in PHR's section"

If you have problems or questions now you have to call the company that made them, which i think is in New Zealand, or somthing like that... At least the VPC/GCC values will go up!
I don't think VPC/GCC values will go up. MAP-ECU can control your entire rpm range. With the VPC combo, you can really only take advantage of tuning above 4,000rpm. In terms of features and tuning resolution, the map-ecu is better than the VPC.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Map ECU's are simple to tune. ALos, you awalyshave Obiwan around to support them...I think.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Ben posted this in that thread:

Obiwan said:
There will still be map ecu's available for now through myself and some of the other distributors until our U.S. stock is depleted. At which point they can be sourced from NZ directly. On that note I will be having a blow out sale on the units shortly just look for updates on my thread in the for sale section of the forums.

This sale is not through PHR but through me directly and other distributors until the over stock is gone.
Translation: Slash and burn. We will support them, and maps will be availible until we clear these things out, then your on your own.

The map-ecu is better than a VPC combo yes, but it certinly has more issues.

I still think now that PHR has stopped supporting them, people will be rightfully weary of them. I know I wouldn't buy one knowing if I have any questions or issues I have to email a company in New Zealand. PHR did a lot of work for the MAP ECU, they developed all the MAPS, and worked hard with the bugs in the firmware to get issues resolved. All of that will stop now. Like I said.. IMHO... paper weights.

Until something else comes on the Market, your back to the basics: VPC + GCC/SAFC for simple reliability, the AEM for entry level stand alone, or V-pro/Motec.

It's sad really. There is a good market there for the $500-$800 engine managment solution. The E-manage ultimate looked promising, but turns out it is a POS, so I guess we have to wait, or suck it up and spend larger amounts of money.

Ron

·
EFI Certified Tuner
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gadfly said:
The map-ecu is better than a VPC combo yes, but it certinly has more issues. Ron
There are actually MANY cars running map-ecu successfully. One of PHR's customers ran a 9 second 1/4 mile on a MAP-ECU. So, what "issues" are you referring to and have you ever used a MAP-ECU?

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
I'm sure there are many cars running great on a map-ecu. Jeff watson's car for example. that said all one has to do is do a search on this forum, and you find lots of issues. Even Jerret said he had thousands of tech support calls, and emails.

No, I have not. I was going to buy one, but after talking to a few people I trust, I changed my mind, and decided to wait to go AEM. The big factors for me was still no timing control, and you still can not change the Rev. limit. Besides I am able to hold a good fuel curve with the VPC/GCC even with my 1000cc injectors, so it just seamed like my money was not buying me much.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
dejacky said:
There are actually MANY cars running map-ecu successfully. One of PHR's customers ran a 9 second 1/4 mile on a MAP-ECU. So, what "issues" are you referring to and have you ever used a MAP-ECU?
Then Why you are changing over to AEM? Because you didn't want to replace your headgasket? MAP Ecu is good for what it is but you can't touch AEM!!!!!!. Good luck with the sale or trade though.
JPI

·
EFI Certified Tuner
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I myself have bitched publically about the map-ecu in the past..always BEFORE I figured out how to use it properly, thus overcoming my hangups :takethat: .

Gadfly said:
I'm sure there are many cars running great on a map-ecu. Jeff watson's car for example...
No, I have not. I was going to buy one, but after talking to a few people I trust, I changed my mind, and decided to wait to go AEM. The big factors for me was still no timing control, and you still can not change the Rev. limit...
Okay, so your "big [deciding] factor" not to use map-ecu is because it lacks timing or rev limiter control. VPC does not have Rev limiter control or timing control either. Not only do you lack experience with the map-ecu, you still haven't mentioned the MAP-ECU "issues" you keep referring to...nor elaborated on what your "[trustworthy]" people have told you about the MAP-ECU to make you avoid it.

More importantly, why do you give your "fear[ed]" opinion that the MAP-ECU is a "paper weight" in my for sale/trade thread, say good luck with the sale, and then correct yourself later? Do you have an AEM 30-1101 you'd like to sell/trade for my setup? I ask, because that is the topic. It's not entitled "Please give your theories of MAP-ECU based on interpreted internet forum posts, "[hearing]" from "[trustworthy sources]," and the fact that you have zero personal experience with MAP-ECU.

JP IMPORTZ said:
Then Why you are changing over to AEM? Because you didn't want to replace your headgasket? MAP Ecu is good for what it is but you can't touch AEM!!!!!!. Good luck with the sale or trade though.
JPI
I want to upgrade to the AEM because I want more control than the MAP-ECU offers, like timing, complete injector control, rev limiter, etc. Jason Phan, why are you questioning my reasons for upgrading to a stand alone EMS in my for sale/trade thread, eluding to a headgasket upgrade, and then telling me good luck with the sale? Do you also have an AEM 30-1101 you'd like to sell/trade for my setup? :scratch:

·
Registered
191 Posts
dejacky said:
For Sale or Trade + cash for an AEM EMS (30-1101):

2. Power House Racing MAP-ECU (complete with manual, CD, original box, fields harness, and never used IAT sensor)

Total: $550

It's already wired together and is a plug and play solution for any turbo 2jz folks out there.
Contact Email: [email protected]
What version is the MAP?

·
EFI Certified Tuner
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's the newest map-ecu version. I forgot the exact number, I'll look at it during my lunch break if you need the number.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
dejacky said:
I myself have bitched publically about the map-ecu in the past..always BEFORE I figured out how to use it properly, thus overcoming my hangups :takethat: .
[/QOUTE]

I'm sure with the help of PHR?

[QOUTE=dejacky] Okay, so your "big [deciding] factor" not to use map-ecu is because it lacks timing or rev limiter control. VPC does not have Rev limiter control or timing control either. Not only do you lack experience with the map-ecu, you still haven't mentioned the MAP-ECU "issues" you keep referring to...nor elaborated on what your "[trustworthy]" people have told you about the MAP-ECU to make you avoid it.
no, my big deciding factors were:

1.) That the then $500 to buy one would be wasted money, since I was not getting anything I did not already get with the VPC/GCC. So i decided to save my money, so i could go AEM.

2.) Tons of problems on these boards.

3.) Not recommended by people I trust to give me sound advice on the Supra.

dejacky said:
More importantly, why do you give your "fear[ed]" opinion that the MAP-ECU is a "paper weight" in my for sale/trade thread, say good luck with the sale, and then correct yourself later? Do you have an AEM 30-1101 you'd like to sell/trade for my setup? I ask, because that is the topic. It's not entitled "Please give your theories of MAP-ECU based on interpreted internet forum posts, "[hearing]" from "[trustworthy sources]," and the fact that you have zero personal experience with MAP-ECU.
I wished you luck, and pointed out they support for them had been discontinued. Clearly not a well known fact, since you yourself did not know. From there you asked bro, and I gave you honest anwsers. Sorry if you did not like what I had to say. If you didn't want me to answer you, why ask me questions?

As for the trusted people I asked about it, I hate to drop names, but I'll be damned I'll let you question my integrity.

I asked the people I trust with my Supra about the MAP-ECU. I am not a tuning pro, nor am I an expert on engine managment. So I ask the pro's, and none of them recommend it.

Just a few off the top of my head:

Chris Johnson @ Boostlogic in the parking lot @ the RSI Dyno day TX2k6

He told me they are ok, but I wouldn't get much out of it, and I should just wait to go AEM or v-pro.

Justin Nenni @ Tuning Concepts in the parking lot @ the RSI Dyno day TX2k6

Told me that he doesn't deal with them a lot, but I would see no gains over the VPC/GCC, and he has heard a lot of people have issues with it. He also recommended the AEM.

Don @ Accelerated Performance at the hotels, TX2K6

Flat out told me that he has never had a good experence with them, told me "they were pieces of shit, and just wait, do it right, and go AEM, or V-Pro."

Jason @ JPI few months ago at his shop

Asked "Why bother?" Told me that it would be pointless, and to just wait and go AEM.

I got 4 opinions, from people I trust, they all told me the same thing. I listened and followed that advice.

Have a good night

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Gadfly. Although I would love to go AEM or V Pro, I can't break anything with the MAP-ECU as long as I keep my A/F good. I plan to make about 800-850rwhp on the MAP-ECU. For now, it will do.

·
EFI Certified Tuner
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Anyone wanna sell me an AEM EMS for $1,000 cash? I need to buy in a few days here... :scratch:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts