Supra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
iSketch Master!
9,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well there was a thread a little while ago that someone posted about the FT-HS being the new "Supra" Obviously it got locked, but before that I saw Larry @ SP post something interesting.

I have spoken to a few of the head powertrain engineers at Toyota.... Basically you cannot modify this car at all!! The hybrid ECUs have a predetermined amount of torque that they will let the wheels see..... therefore if you increase the output of the gas engine, the ECU will decrease the amount of TQ applied by the electric motors!!
Think of it this way: Say you turbo the car, or what have you, and you added 200hp. Well while driving around town the electric motor should function as normal. With light loads it should also function as normal. Once you hit good boost or turn up the wick a little then you lose the electric motors.

Doesn't seem like a bad thing at all this way. The only thing I am wondering is if they do this will the car go into limp mode after you reach that predetermined power level or will it just disable the motors until the car goes back to normal operating power levels?

I assume this will only be a problem if the electric motors contribute a significant amount overall. It sure would make for some tuning problems I imagine as well though. Also from a handling standpoint, if the motors drive the front wheels and the engine drives the rears, then the car could change it's dynamic completely halfway through a turn after laying down full throttle.

Alex

·
iSketch Master!
9,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Who the hell was talking about Supras? Better yet, where the hell did you get R35 from? I am talking about the actual hybrid system not the cars in particular.

Alex

·
Registered
119 Posts
Toyotas future hybrids systems will be intresting. With that said, eventually some one will crack the computer code and modify electronically. It is done with the Prius, to turn it into full electric mode. It is awsome that they are putting all that hardware and software for future hacking. It is the same as the sequential turbos of the TT supra, turning them into parallel. Except it will be electrically and somewhat mechanical. Everything can be modified, understanding the working principles of the hardware.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Toyotas future hybrids systems will be intresting. With that said, eventually some one will crack the computer code and modify electronically. It is done with the Prius, to turn it into full electric mode. It is awsome that they are putting all that hardware and software for future hacking. It is the same as the sequential turbos of the TT supra, turning them into parallel. Except it will be electrically and somewhat mechanical. Everything can be modified, understanding the working principles of the hardware.
I agree. If the aftermarket wants to make power out of the car they will find a way. Just like the MKIV's boost/fuel cut Greddy and HKS came out with something to disable ecu from cutting off the boost/fuel.
Now, if they came out with something to increase power output from the electric motor that would be even sweeter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts