Supra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
« f ï z z | ë »
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
are they worth the couple of extra bucks? are they bad for the car? how often do you use them if at all?

Z

·
0 Posts
addictives as to clean the fuel system or boost octan?
fuel injector/system cleaners works ok, but you will need to replace the fuel filter afterwards cuz alot of the dirt will get trapped in the filter and actually blocks fuel passage.

as for octan boost, all I can say is it works. although it leaves residue at the tip of your spark plugs and shortens its life, it does get you some extra HP and its cheape than running race fuel.
my friend and me pulls dead even everytime, then with octan boost, he can pull 1 car on me.

T

·
0 Posts
Just so you know, octane boost won't up your overall octane to anything noticeable...say you add 7+ point octane booster to your 93 octane already in your car...it comes out to boosting it to 93.7oct overall. Straight race gas is has no substitute, otherwise you'd hear everyone using oct. booster.

-Matt

Z

·
0 Posts
I did not believe in Octan boost untill I actually saw it works.
as I said, me and my friend has done many tests, we will run octan boost 1 night and he pulls 1 car on my, the next night with fresh tank of gas we pull even, than on the way home he adds octan boost and gets another car on me.

the brand we use is by NOS.

BTW, here in CA we only get 91, so any kind of octan increase is gladly welcome.
of course there is no subsitute for race gas, but for $4 a gallon, it just depends how often you wanna change your spark plugs. the more octan boost you use, the more often you'll need to change plugs, its a cheap way to gain HP than to drive 40min and pump race fuel.

T

·
0 Posts
sucks to be in cali, CT has 94 octane at all sunoco stations.

Heres some info I took from Homebrew octane booster

"Homebrew Gasoline Octane Boosters

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Editor's note: I would NOT suggest that a person use the following fuel mixtures without considering the detrimental effects on your engine, vital engine components (O2 sensor, etc), and other potential damage. That said, the information is interesting.
Original published in:

GS-Xtra
1213 Gornto Road
Valdosta, GA 31602
(912) 244-0577

Editor: Richard Lasetter, president Gran Sport Club of America (GSCA)

Formula #1 - Toluene
R+M/2.........114
Cost...........$2.50/gal
Mixtures with 92 Octane Premium
10%...........94.2 Octane
20%...........96.4 Octane
30%...........98.6 Octane
Notes: Common ingredient in Octane Boosters in a can. 12-16 ounces will only raise octane 2-3 *points*, i.e. from 92 to 92.3.Often costs $3-5 for 12-16 ounces, when it can be purchased for less than $3/gal at chemical supply houses or paint stores.

Formula #2 - Xylene
R+M/2.........117
Cost...........$2.75/gal
10%...........94.5 Octane
20%...........97.0 Octane
30%...........99.5 Octane
Notes: Similar to Toluene. 12-16 ounces will only raise octane 2-3 *points*, i.e. from 92 to 92.3. Usually mixed with Toluene and advertised as *race formula*.

Formula #3 - Methyl-tertiary-butyl-ether (MTBE)
R+M/2.........118
Cost...........$3.50/gal
10%...........94.6 Octane
20%...........97.2 Octane
30%...........99.8 Octane
Notes: Oxygenate. Very common in octane booster products. Has lower BTU content than toluene or xylene, but oxygenate effect makes the gasoline burn better and produce more energy.

Formula #4 - Methanol or Ethanol
R+M/2.........101
Cost...........$0.60 - $1.75/gal
10%...........94.3 Octane (Methanol)
10%...........94.7 Octane (Ethanol)
20%...........Not Recommended
Notes: Methanol is wood alcohol. Ethanol is grain alcohol and found in Gasohol in 10% ratios. Both alcohols are mildly corrosive and will eat gas tank linings, rubber and aluminum if used in excessive ratios. Main ingredient in "Gas Dryers", combine with water.

Formula #5 - Isopropyl Alcohol and Tertiary Butyl Alcohol
R+M/2.........101
Cost...........$0.60-$1.50/gal
10%...........94.5 Octane
20%...........Not Recommended
30%...........Not Recommended

Notes: Similar to Methanol/Ethanol. Isopropyl Alcohol is simply rubbing alcohol.

Sample Mixture
To make your own octane booster, it is easiest to make up a large batch, and then bottle it up in "dosage-size" uses.
Below is the basic formula of one of the popular octane booster products. To make eight 16 ounce bottles (128 oz = 1 gal):

100 oz of toluene for octane boost
25 oz of mineral spirits (cleaning agent)
3 oz of transmission fluid (lubricating agent)
This product is advertised as "octane booster with cleaning agent *and* lubricating agent!". Diesel fuel or kerosene can be substituted for mineral spirits and light turbine oil can be substituted for transmission fluid. Color can be added with petroleum dyes. "
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------'

-Matt

Z

·
0 Posts
you gonna make me read all that?:D

yeh I see your point, I know octan only jumps a small amount, but hey, its enough for my friend to get me 1 car length while I pull timing retard.
you have to imagine how difficult it is for supras running 91 octan at high boost...after 3-4 runs the car feels completely different

1 - 6 of 6 Posts