Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if fuel cut damages the car in any way, I know its the temporary shutting down of the fuel injection system, but still it feels like it is doing some damage. I'm only hitting fuel cut at about 10 psi. Oh and yeah if I was getting code 31 thrown at me (AFM Probs) would that cause fuel cut alot earlier then it should?

Oh and another quick Q. If my head gasket has been changed with aftermarket NON metal type and retorqued to 72ftlbs, but the old head bolts were used, will that cause me any problems? I dont wanna have to do it all again! I will probably never boost higher then 15psi ever....so im thinking ok?

Thanks guys

1988 Toyota Supra Turbo
GFB Blow Off Valve
K&N Cold Air Intake Kit
3 inch cat back
Only running 6psi :(

·
Registered
707 Posts
Fuel cut isn't shutting down the fuel injection system. It's actually keeping the spark from igniting the mixture. Fuel cut feels pretty weird/scary, it might feel to you like it's causing damage.

The HG topic is discussed all the time. A lot of people have run the retorqued OEM HG on hard driving and boost for a long time. Bishop92t ran 20psi daily on the stock retorqued HG for a while until it blew a while back, you might want to ask him about his thoughts on it. As long as you control detonation, you should be fine with an OEM HG without shelling out the extra cash for a MHG.

You probably should look into getting ARP bolts, however. The stock bolts aren't really designed to take much stress, but many have reused them with no problem.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Your stock turbo will not handle 15psi for too long. Itès generally just pushing heat at that psi.

Your retorque on the headgasket should be fine. Many have reused the headbolts with out problem.

·
Dr Wheelspin Rh.D.
4,393 Posts
The only thing FCO damages is the drivetrain and your neck. A few hits of FCO per year isn't going to cause major damage but if you like to bounce of FCO every day after a while it will do some damage. It is possible the AFM could cause premature FCO, but more then likely it's a boost leak.

If you can keep the car from running too lean then you won't have any problems with the HG and stock bolts.

·
Registered
544 Posts
You probably should look into getting ARP bolts, however. The stock bolts aren't really designed to take much stress, but many have reused them with no problem.
not only that, but 72 lbs-ft with stock bolts dry is not neraly the same as 72 lbs-ft with ARPs using moly lube... ARPs with moly lube will result in higher clamping force.

Shiva

·
Registered
80 Posts
FCO can definately kill the drive train if hit alot,my rear subframe where the diff. bolts up to broke due to that,and it's never been quite the same.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts