Supra Forums banner

41 - 41 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Before owning a '90 NA Mk III I owned a 1998 Toyota Camry. It was a commuter vehicle with Toyota's 2.2L 5S-FE inline four. Moderate power but on flat highway driving I was routinely getting in the mid to high 30's for MPG. I loved my '90 Supra for the Sport roof and look of the vehicle. At 200 hp in 2005 when I bought it I would be lucky to beat a stock Honda Accord but that didn't matter as racing and speed were not what I wanted out of the car.

I am now in a situation wherein I have a 110 mile per day round trip commute and will possibly for the rest of my career which could be 20 more years. I would like to get another MK III but frankly, 15-20 MPG isn't going to cut it driving that much. I know lots of people here have done swaps to get MORE power, has anyone done/looked into replacing the 7M-GE with a smaller, more efficient engine? I have thought about the 1JZ-GE non-turbo but am curious to know if an engine like the 5S-FE would work. I am assuming up front a V6 probably won't fit correctly, even if it was more efficient.

For those ready to say "This is complicated" I have a close relative with a state of the art auto shop who works on everything from Fords to Mercedes and Rolls Royce. I have expertise I trust completely to do this, what I want to know is how big a job is it to accomplish done right. I also have the budget. I commute because the job is high paying and well worth it.
If the job pays that well, just be thankful and drive on. The money you will spend ruining that car won't be worth it.

41 - 41 of 41 Posts