Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

Whoever said this was an easy job hasn't done it to my car. I just spent 45 minutes getting the damn filter off the car. Put the new one back on with the 2 washers, tighten it all down, and the damn thing leaks like a civ. What the fuck did I do wrong? IS there an O-Ring provided with the filter when you buy it? The guy that owned the car before gave me the filter, but it only came with 2 metal washers, no rubber o-rings.

The leak is coming from the "IN" side, and when I removed the old fiter, I didn't see any o ring on the fuel line or in the filter hole that it connects to. Any help would be apprecated. Also, is it supposed to be that hard to tighen and losen the fuel line on the "IN" side of the filter? God damn, I was affriad I was going to strip the threads on the poor thing.

Justin

·
OG
754 Posts
im picking up a new fuel filter from toyota tommorow.

i'll let you know whats all included.

does anyone have the toyota supra service manual handy?

if so, could you scan a pic or post some details about the fuel filter replacement page.

im sure its straight forward, but since Steel_Rain ran into a problem I just want to make sure there isnt something in the manual that we are missing.

·
DitchByTheSideOfTheRoad
485 Posts
It's kinda Lengthy to type...and my scanner isn't working.

But I have the service manual....if you want I need to replace mine as well...we can have a lets all replace our fuel filters before the race day : ) hehehe...

1. tighten the union nut to 29N.m(300kgf.cm, 22fl.lbf) Isn't suppose to be very tight....

2.It says that you are suppose to replace the rubber o rings...they aren't suppose to be reused.

Page EG-264 if someone wants to scan it.

·
Shawn Davis
1,662 Posts
You are correct: two metal washers on the banjo fitting and nothing on the in fitting.

If its leaking and you had trouble getting it off I'd bet the person that put on the last filter cross threaded it. When you removed it you destroyed what was left of the threads, so now its leaking. If this is the case you'll need a new connector (which probably means a new line since its a flare fitting).

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ubermensch,

Are you sure there isn't any o rings that I should be worried about? I can't belive this thing is leaking. Anyone know how much a new fuel line would cost, looks like I'll have to get it towed into the dealer. What a bitch. I should have never touched it!

Justin

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just got a call from the Toyota Dealer, 308 dollars for the new fuel line and the labor. He told me that it is common to older toyota for this to happen.

He said that older filters that have never been replaced on older cars with low miles have locked threads, and when you back them out, they cross themselfs on the way out. All of you guys who are going to replace yours, take a lesson from me and do it slowly, and spray up the connections the night before you replace it. I have to have the thing towed as well, what a bitch. It's good to get the old filter out of there though, man was it bad.

Justin

·
Shawn Davis
1,662 Posts
I'm a little sorry I was right.

Glad to hear you're having it fixed correctly though. I'm not sure I believe the story about the threads getting locked and then crossing on the way out. Its much more likely that the person before just cross threaded it on the way in....

·
Super Moderator
4,420 Posts
Same thing happened to me on my 94 TT. real tight coming off...and once off...sure enough the line was cross threaded. And had to have new line installed. So it seems very common. One other note.....when i bought my new fuel filter..there were 2 different part numbers for fuel filters. One i believe was for 93-96....the other for 97-98. Guy at Toyota told me that if wrong filter was used it would go on fine...but when taken off would cross thread the line. Not sure if he was correct , but there were definitey 2 different part numbers. So this could be it as well if someone else replaced it with the wrong one. just shooting out possibilities here. But my line installed if i recall was not 308 bucks....it was something like 200 installed. But this was about a year ago. Call Jeff Watson at Jay Marks Toyota and ask him and get price from him. He will know 100%

·
OG
754 Posts
DAMM IT!!!

:mad:

My P.O.S. fuel filter cross threaded itself too today!!!

I took my freaking time with it too.

damm...

there was no way around it. I know for a fact I did NOTHING wrong.

the damm nut starts coming off just fine, but after about 3 turns... BAMM. it just stops. I wasnt going fast because I was kinda expecting problems after reading this original post. So I went VERY VERY slow when I loosened the nut.

once I felt the tension I backed it off. then turned again slowly. after repeating this process say 30 FREAKIN TIMES... I finally got frustrated and gave it a good turn. what happened??? the damm nut locked up. it doenst turn at all anymore in either direction.

oh well..

I guess my only option now is to chop the damm thing off and hookup an aftermarket fuel filter. there is no way in hell im gonna dish out nearly $300 for a new threaded fuel line.

i'll take some pics and post them once I finish up later tonight or tommorow. hopefully i wont run into any other problems. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Team Toyota,

Man, doesn't it suck? Well, at least I can sleep a little better tonight cause this happened to somebody else too :) J/K.

Yeah, from the research I'm doing, it seems like you have about a 50/50 chance with it. We got screwed. Oh well, I ordered the part and should have it by Monday. The problem is that it's a steel fuel line, and the compression fitting is aluminum, and if you know anything about aluminum threads, you'll know that they gull very easily if you aren't careful, and it this case, there really isn't anything you can do. It's not like you can put a new fitting on either, the end of the line is flared. I'm going to replace the filter once every 20K from here on out though, so this never happens again.

I might have Toyota do it, but I could just do it myself and a Porsche tech at the shop I work at even though we aren't a Toyota dealer. The line itself is CHEAP, like 33 dollars I got it for. The labor is what kills you. I was told by Toyota that you need to drop the fuel tank, but Jeff Watson at Jay Marks Toyota told me you don't have to. I'll have to see and reply back to this tread to give everyone the heads up.

On another note, can anyone scan or maybe even type up the directions out of the OEM service manual for fuel line replacement from the filter back to the tank? I posted in another thread, but nobody responded yet. Please Please Please! :)

Justin

·
Registered
197 Posts
Did you put a wrench on the filter to hold it while trying to turn the flare nut? Thats what I had to do to mine last week. Pretty slow going as the nut was very difficult to turn.
Also when installing the new filter, the manual says to lubricate the flare nut threads with engine oil!
I have had good success using permatex thread sealer. You can buy it in a small metal can with a brush built into the lid. Just brush the sealant onto the threads. It stays tacky and doesn't harden. IMO it works much better than teflon.
Be very careful when starting the threads, and be prepared for it to be tight going back togather. Just use a second wrench again to hold the filter.

·
DitchByTheSideOfTheRoad
485 Posts
Lonestar Dawg said:
Did you put a wrench on the filter to hold it while trying to turn the flare nut? Thats what I had to do to mine last week. Pretty slow going as the nut was very difficult to turn.
Also when installing the new filter, the manual says to lubricate the flare nut threads with engine oil!
I have had good success using permatex thread sealer. You can buy it in a small metal can with a brush built into the lid. Just brush the sealant onto the threads. It stays tacky and doesn't harden. IMO it works much better than teflon.
Be very careful when starting the threads, and be prepared for it to be tight going back togather. Just use a second wrench again to hold the filter.
I think you read that wrong...it say NOT to lubricate with engine oil...to use gasoline or machine oil...I will check the manual when I get home. As I am not positive...Maybe even try to get my scanner working...

Edit: I am a dumbass dont listen to this...lube it up with oil..

·
Registered
197 Posts
On another note, can anyone scan or maybe even type up the directions out of the OEM service manual for fuel line replacement from the filter back to the tank? I posted in another thread, but nobody responded yet. Please Please Please!

Justin

Justin, My 95 Manual has no information on replacing the fuel lines from the filter back to the tank. It talks about replacing the filter and then talks about the fuel pump, but not about the lines in between.
The line turns and goes up over the differental and that is where it is ends. There it is tied into another short line that goes back to the leading edge of the tank. From there to the fuel pump housing it is rubber. It really does not look to bad at all to replace (especially if on a lift). It is a little bit of a reach to get to the fitting over the differential. There you will have to use 2 wrenches at the same time to take apart.

Are you sure that your existing threads are destroyed?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Lonestar Dawg,

Thanks for the help man! So there is a 2 lines from the filter to the tank pump. That's good to know, and as long as I can get to the union above the diff, I should be good to go.

About the threads...yes, they are totally gone, the only threads that would even come close to biting are the ones that are to far back anyways. I just wish toyota wouldn't have used a flared end on the fuel line, that way I could just get a fitting instead of a line. Oh well. Thanks again for the help!

Justin

·
DitchByTheSideOfTheRoad
485 Posts
Yep I was wrong...263 has the new o-ring..."coat a new o ring with spindle oil or gasoline before installing - never use engine, gear , or brake oil..." My bad...it's talking about injectors to boot!! :doh:

·
OG
754 Posts
did toyota use thread lock on some of our supras?

I wonder...

I found this as I was browsing for a solution for my broken fuel line. Its not a supra but still sounds awfully familiar...

http://cartalk.cars.com/Columns/Archive/2000/December/04.html

Dear Tom and Ray:

I have a 1995 Toyota Tercel. When removing the old fuel filter, the threaded fitting that secures the fuel line to the bottom of the filter turned a couple of times and then was quite stuck. I had never changed the filter and thought it would be a good idea. -- Rob

Tom: Boy, oh boy, were you ever wrong, Rob!

Ray: Toyota must have had some problem with these fittings coming loose and fuel spraying out and setting the cars on fire, because it now uses "thread lock" on these fittings.

Tom: Thread lock is a glue you put on the threads, and it keeps the fitting from coming loose. And it works great! I'll see one of my guys with a long-handled pipe wrench on one of these fittings, and the car will be spinning around, but the fitting stays put.

Ray: Most of them come off relatively easily, but others -- like yours -- won't budge. And if it gets stuck and won't turn in either direction, we sometimes have to break the fuel line to get it off. And then you have to wait a week for a new fuel line to come in from Toyota's warehouse in California.

Tom: So I'm going to suggest you just tighten the fitting back up, and then, the next time you're in for service, innocently ask your dealer if he can change the fuel filter. In fact, it would be better if you forgot this whole incident ever happened.

Ray: We happen to be experts in newspaper-based hypnosis, Rob. So follow along. You are now getting sleepy ... sleeeeeepy. You will now forget you ever tried to remove the fuel filter. You will forget you ever wrote to us asking for advice. You will forget you ever read this article, Rob. And when you wake up, you'll turn directly to the Sports section.

·
OG
754 Posts
Steel_Rain ,

do have the part # for that new fuel line?

If it's as cheap as you say it is, I think I'll just replace it instead of trying to rethread the current one. This way I wont have to go out and buy a new aftermarket filter and fittings.

thanks

·
DitchByTheSideOfTheRoad
485 Posts
I just talked to Jeff at Jay Marks....he said that it's cheaper to buy local because the shipping would be high due to the long box that it ships in...

I was going to be smart and get one before I changed mine.. hehehe

Just go to the local dealership and order one from them...

·
Registered
197 Posts
I just went through the same thing with a brake line for the trac pump delete mod. Jeff's price was a little cheaper, until you added the shipping for the oversized box. It took my local dealer 1 week to receive it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts