Supra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Boost..... My Antidrug
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving down the highway, hit a small bump on the road (the kind where the pavement changes from old to new) and noticed that my gas needle fell to nothing, a few miles down the road it started coming back up....... then when I got to my destination I checked the wiring to see if there was a loose connection at the top of the hanger or something, but there wasn't, but I noticed that the sending unit wire was melted.... and got progressively less melted the farther you follow the wire into the harness, by the time the harness leaves the rear of the car on the driver side the wire is fine and intact, I checked to see if there was something it could have grounded out on, but couldn't find anything, so could this be caused by the sending unit itself going bad? or could something have come loose in tank and is now arcing to the sending unit or something?

~ Justin

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
If you have a fuel system check that your pump power wires in the tank have not rubbed them through. I'd pull the pumps and look in the tank if I was you..

·
Registered
305 Posts
Did you change the wire that melted previous to the melting? Basically, did you rewire your pumps and use a smaller gauge wire and splice it into the harness? Just seeing if maybe it got too hot that way.

If not, I would definitley pull the hanger and check there...

·
Boost..... My Antidrug
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It ended up being that when I soldered and shrink wrapped the wiring in tank for the pump, I didn't use gasoline resistant shrink wrap, so it swelled and the power wire was grounding out on the hanger, problem solved, but thanks for the input, I'm just happy I had a full tank of gas cause it was arcing in the tank, and if it had been low or close to empty it could have exploded.

·
Registered
6,550 Posts
It ended up being that when I soldered and shrink wrapped the wiring in tank for the pump, I didn't use gasoline resistant shrink wrap, so it swelled and the power wire was grounding out on the hanger, problem solved, but thanks for the input, I'm just happy I had a full tank of gas cause it was arcing in the tank, and if it had been low or close to empty it could have exploded.
nah it would not have exploded. Luckily the gas tank environment is way to rich to support any combustion process. If it was E85 for instance you WOULD have blown yourself up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts