Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After spending multiple hours reading through various forums and reading multiple opinions on whats needed to support XY&Z. I will be going to a single turbo on my 94 2JZ-GTE next week. As far as HP goes Im hunting somewhere between 550-700hp on E85 (FlexFuel). Opinions on what my current setup will make will be appreciated! The car will be being tuned by Larry at Sound Performance in January 2021.

Current Mods:
PHR Street Torque Turbo Kit (PTE 6266JB)
EcuMaster EMU Black Standalone ECU
Walbro 525 "Hellcat" Fuel Pump
1200cc SP Injectors
Radium Top Feed -8AN Fuel Rail
Aeromotive A1000 Gen-II FPR

My current plans was to run a -8 fuel line from pump to rail. Then a -6 return. Thoughts and opinions if that would work if not what you would recommend! The fuel lines, fittings, adapters etc was not purchased yet so open to changing routes!

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
If you're going with Radium fuel rail, might as well get all Radium parts - fuel hanger and pre-made fuel lines, and fuel line brackets. Cutting fuel lines - and getting the correct matching brand fittings is no picnic.

I wanted to go that route, but didn't want to change my fuel rail setup. The pre-made lines only work with their fuel rail. And their fuel hanger only works with the Walbro pumps - which you are getting.

Al

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you're going with Radium fuel rail, might as well get all Radium parts - fuel hanger and pre-made fuel lines, and fuel line brackets. Cutting fuel lines - and getting the correct matching brand fittings is no picnic.

I wanted to go that route, but didn't want to change my fuel rail setup. The pre-made lines only work with their fuel rail. And their fuel hanger only works with the Walbro pumps - which you are getting.

Al
I'm a big fan of their hanger and fuel setups. For the time being I'm going to utilize the OEM hanger as Im sticking with a single pump setup. In the future I will be utilizing their setup for duals. As far as the lines and fittings I'm not worried about just mainly need to decide on what size lines to run!

·
Boost Junkie
12,740 Posts
You could run the stock line and another -6 and then use the stock return line and be just fine.

Steve

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You could run the stock line and another -6 and then use the stock return line and be just fine.

Steve
I do already have 20ft of -6 in the garage (Would just need to buy fittings). If i go with the stock and -6 for feeds would you recommend feeding both ends of the fuel rail? Also how would you recommend running the fuel filter on that setup?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I do already have 20ft of -6 in the garage (Would just need to buy fittings). If i go with the stock and -6 for feeds would you recommend feeding both ends of the fuel rail? Also how would you recommend running the fuel filter on that setup?
yes feed both sides of the rail with a center return. You can run the stock filter on the stock feed line and add another filter on your second feed. Lots of members run this setup upwards of 900rwhp and it’s proven to work.

·
Boost Junkie
12,740 Posts
There are a few ways to run the plumbing depending on where you locate your fuel pressure regulator. Mine is mounted on my intake manifold. On my personal car, I run the factory hard line with an adapter to switch the metric fitting to 6-an. Then I run that 6-an line into the backside of the fuel rail. The front side of the fuel rail loops around to the fuel pressure regulator. The other new 6-an line is run from the tank to the other side of the fuel pressure regulator. I then run -6an off the return on the regulator to the flex fuel sensor and then into the factory return line just using a clamp on it. I've had this set up for 15 years with no issues.

If you mount your FPR to the firewall then you'll probably want to run both lines to the fuel rail and do a single out the rail to the fuel pressure regulator to keep it clean since you don't have as much space. Then run your return from the FPR to your flex fuel sensor and then into the factory return.

I've made as much as 1100HP on this set up (at the crank) so roughly 950whp with no issues on E85 (which requires more fuel than gasoline).

Steve

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There are a few ways to run the plumbing depending on where you locate your fuel pressure regulator. Mine is mounted on my intake manifold. On my personal car, I run the factory hard line with an adapter to switch the metric fitting to 6-an. Then I run that 6-an line into the backside of the fuel rail. The front side of the fuel rail loops around to the fuel pressure regulator. The other new 6-an line is run from the tank to the other side of the fuel pressure regulator. I then run -6an off the return on the regulator to the flex fuel sensor and then into the factory return line just using a clamp on it. I've had this set up for 15 years with no issues.

If you mount your FPR to the firewall then you'll probably want to run both lines to the fuel rail and do a single out the rail to the fuel pressure regulator to keep it clean since you don't have as much space. Then run your return from the FPR to your flex fuel sensor and then into the factory return.

I've made as much as 1100HP on this set up (at the crank) so roughly 950whp with no issues on E85 (which requires more fuel than gasoline).

Steve
Thank you for the lengthy write up Steve! Would you be able to post a picture to this thread of your personal car's set up (Overhead view)? Also do you have the part number on the fitting utilized from the factory hard line to -6an?

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
KISS (Keep it simple stupid)

Just add 1 additional -6an line. Good for 1100++Whp easy. I don't know why people get crazy and add all these weird lines, fittings, sizes etc. Don't over complicate it.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts

Just add 1 additional -6an line. Good for 1100++Whp easy. I don't know why people get crazy and add all these weird lines, fittings, sizes etc. Don't over complicate it.
Did that for years, worked great. Another thing to keep in mind for the OP, that extra line you have in the garage PTFE since you're planning on running E85?

Reactions: 94RHDTT

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Did that for years, worked great. Another thing to keep in mind for the OP, that extra line you have in the garage PTFE since you're planning on running E85?
It is indeed! With the additional -6 line added will be well then enough for my HP goals. Thanks all!

·
Registered
4,724 Posts

Well somewhere there has to be at least a couple weird fittings for a "Y" connection to start the second feed line. You don't just add a second feed to the stock line with banjo bolt.

I went back to an internal pump and was shocked how small the stock hard line was on the hanger. I always thought it was 3/8", but it's only 5/16" with press bends reducing to 1/4" in a couple spots. I surgically removed it with a die grinder and replaced with a -8 bulkhead fitting thru the hanger and -8 feed line, but I only have one supply line.

Al

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
Well somewhere there has to be at least a couple weird fittings for a "Y" connection to start the second feed line. You don't just add a second feed to the stock line with banjo bolt.

I went back to an internal pump and was shocked how small the stock hard line was on the hanger. I always thought it was 3/8", but it's only 5/16" with press bends reducing to 1/4" in a couple spots. I surgically removed it with a die grinder and replaced with a -8 bulkhead fitting thru the hanger and -8 feed line, but I only have one supply line.

Al

No. There is no need to over complicate it.
Just add another -6an line. That's it. It goes straight to the fuel rail on the other side. Keep the factory hanger, factory feed, factory return etc. Leave it all alone.

Factory hanger with 1additional -6an line. You can see it still has the factory feed. Nothing has changed.

·
Boost Junkie
12,740 Posts
No. There is no need to over complicate it.
Just add another -6an line. That's it. It goes straight to the fuel rail on the other side. Keep the factory hanger, factory feed, factory return etc. Leave it all alone.

Factory hanger with 1additional -6an line. You can see it still has the factory feed. Nothing has changed.

View attachment 256224
That's exactly what I did. I used to run triple 255s, but when the new 485s came out I dropped back to 2. Bulkhead fitting with a 90 on it so you only drill one new hole in the factory hangar.

Steve

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
That's a nice setup and all, but the OP only mentions using one Hellcat pump. That's what I was referring to, if he wanted to upgrade the factory line he would have to fab something up.

Are you actually using that fuel pump bulkhead connector for the power wires, or is it drilled out? I thought about using that connector, but the terminals are small to neck down 10 ga wire. I used an aftermarket bulkhead, but that was an ugly hole to drill.

Al

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
That's a nice setup and all, but the OP only mentions using one Hellcat pump. That's what I was referring to, if he wanted to upgrade the factory line he would have to fab something up.

Are you actually using that fuel pump bulkhead connector for the power wires, or is it drilled out? I thought about using that connector, but the terminals are small to neck down 10 ga wire. I used an aftermarket bulkhead, but that was an ugly hole to drill.

Al
Al- The connectors is 100% factory .You can buy OEM pins to repin it if you plan on using hellcat style pumps with larger gauge wiring. If you use traditional 267/274 pumps you can use the factory wiring.

I go as far as PWM the oem fuel pump ecu to retain the 9v/12v operation. It works flawlessly. (Low fuel temps, no noise, no stress etc).

This setup is 99% factory parts with an additional -6an line. It will do 1100+whp on E85 no sweat.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
So, the one factory wire is powering two pumps? My car didn't have the factory fuel lines any more, nor did it have the fuel pump power and ground wire harness inside the tank. I found a Prius harness that looked like it was the same as ours, but I went with standalone wiring instead.

I am finishing up my setup now, converting from external to internal pump. I am using the signal from the FP ECU, but only to trigger the relay. I have 10 ga wire from the battery. I may be pushing it with one DW400 pump for 500-600 HP, so I wanted to make sure I got maximum voltage possible at the pump.

Al

1 - 20 of 22 Posts