Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently on stock turbo with stock fuel system, boost set at about 11psi. I have always run 91 octane, and never had any problems with detonation or anything of the sort. I am wondering if i can get away with a lower octane rating and still experience no problems. Anyone have any advice or experience?

·
I don't want an MK4!
1,727 Posts
If you drive 1000 miles per month and average 20MPG, you are using 50 gallons of gas. The cost difference between regular and premium is .20.

You would save 10.00 per month.

Do you need the 10.00 that bad?

Probably not, so don't do it.

Consider it your monthly 10.00 "piece of mind" payment.

Dan

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah i hear ya, and i agree too. a very realistic approach to it. but my question was moreso directed to the physics of it rather than the economics of it.

N

·
0 Posts
11psi on anything less than 91 octane, in hot weather will detonate like no other

stay with the premium

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
lol my cars stock other then intake/ehxaust and wastegate shimmed to 10 psi and i wont put in anything other then 94 Octane

·
Registered
689 Posts
hahaha its like my dad driving extra far to get gas 2 cents cheaper... i tell him "Dad, you do realize that only if you get 50 gallons will you save 1 dollar, right??"

also about the 'physics' of it, toyota says 92 or better, thats for stock supras. you are running harder than stock. so i wouldnt wanna test that out.

·
DAMN u a big one lady
1,278 Posts
yea.... just play it safe. We got station near my house that has 87, 89, 92, 97, and 100, i usually run 97 when I know i'm just toolin' around town, and 100 when i go down to the track

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
how much that cost ya? $$$

·
HKS T51R
2,732 Posts
lol yeah i wish we had 100 octane around here too. But just stay with what you use now. unless your that cheap and you need the extra $10, once you start to hear pinging, then its time to start using 91, or lower the boost

·
Registered
206 Posts
87,89,93 here. I would love to have 100 octane gas.

·
Acceleration
3,833 Posts
What about for an NA? I've been running 91 but was thinking of going to 87 because my car ran fine on it before. I should be ok right? BTW the money really adds up u guys... someone did an estimate for a year and it came out to be a lot of saved money.

·
supra crazzzy
585 Posts
i run 90 octan gas in my n/a, but its the same price as 87 octane its like an ethanol blend or something its husky enchant 90 they call it or something. Is there some disadvantage to the ethanol blend stuff or what???

·
7M Love
735 Posts
We have 87, 89, 91, and at very few stations 93 (only one spot in Norman that I know of) octane here in OK. I've heard rumors that the octane at gas stations is slightly weighed on the factor of altitude. As in down in Texas, they have higher octane due to a lower altitude (more dense air, causing leaner conditions). Is there any truth to this rumor?

·
supra crazzzy
585 Posts
i run 90 octan gas in my n/a, but its the same price as 87 octane its like an ethanol blend or something its husky enchant 90 they call it or something. Is there some disadvantage to the ethanol blend stuff or what???

1 - 20 of 38 Posts