Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
It will never run...
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonight I was racing a RC51....got on it in 1st...shifted to second...and the car shut off. So I coasted to a stop, and gave it a little throttle....when holding it steady..it was got blurp...blurp...blurp.... So I shut the car off and and it started fine...but the check engine light was on. Then I noticed my fuel pressure gauge was reading 2 bar...which is pretty low for base fuel pressure I though...and thats where my warning on the gauge was set. Do you think maybe my pump burned out? I dont know why else the fuel pressure would just drop down. At idle it is usually around 2.75 bar. Any thoughts?:(

·
Premium Member
4,417 Posts
GSXR1000 said:
Do you have dual in tank pumps, if so probably one of the hoses in the tank popped off.
eric
No - if a line popped off he'd have zero fuel pressure - ask me how I know! :)

When the line pops off all the fuel pumps through the rail and right back to the tank... completely bypassing the FPR.

However when my line popped off the symptoms were almost exactly as he described it - except mine never refired and I had to sit there freezing my ass off until AAA came by with the flat bed! haha

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Heh, this will be interesting to watch after all of the guys who posted in the methanol injection thread about how that wasn't reliable and how Supra fuel systems with dual pumps never failed. Funny that.

This could be a pump, it could be your regulator, it could even be a filter. What EXACTLY does your fuel system consist of right now?

·
Premium Member
10,170 Posts
BLKMGK said:
Heh, this will be interesting to watch after all of the guys who posted in the methanol injection thread about how that wasn't reliable and how Supra fuel systems with dual pumps never failed. Funny that.
That's a dramatic oversimplification of the statements made in that thread.

If he was running meth. injection and that failed he would have detonated and the shortblock would be hosed (as I understand it).

·
Registered
855 Posts
quick said:
That's a dramatic oversimplification of the statements made in that thread.

If he was running meth. injection and that failed he would have detonated and the shortblock would be hosed (as I understand it).
You understand wrong. :D

Did you totally miss all of the posts about failsafes??? I ran out of methanol while doing TWO 1/4 mile pulls. Failsafes kicked in and all I got was low boost and slower trap speeds both runs. Engine is perfectly fine. BLKMGK was referring to posts made by guys like Simba who claim fuel pump failures can't possibly happen. LOL.

94TTBPU, let us know what you find out. Hopefully no damage was done to your engine.

·
Premium Member
10,170 Posts
Eh... don't want to pollute this thread, but the requirements for the failsafes are not cheap.

·
Registered
272 Posts
GSXR1000 said:
Do you have dual in tank pumps, if so probably one of the hoses in the tank popped off.
eric
Sorry it was just a sug., I have seen two supras with the twin in tanks pop off one of the hoses and they still had fuel pressure ask Tim Iacoli(basupra). I was just trying to be helpful'
Eric

·
supraman
632 Posts
I have had my walbro fuel pump lose fuel pressure due to a blocked pick up filter! You should remove the pump and check if this is the case...I have been using meth and toluene in my fuel tank for over a year with no issues apart from the filter getting clogged with some white powdery deposit???:)

·
Sooooooo JDM
1,221 Posts
The reg is easy enough to check....Tee your boost gauge between the the vac line on the reg and a mityvac. Hook the hose up to the pressure side on the vac. Note fuel press at atm pressure, pump UP one bar and note again. Go up one more and bar and hold. Pressure should maintain (although in your case it would be falling like a rock if it's bad). Also, don't forget to check filter(s) as Blkmgk suggested. When was the last time you changed out the filter? Do you occasionally run it down to "E"? The filter may have sucked up some garbage...

Ryan

·
Premium Member
3,466 Posts
quick said:
Eh... don't want to pollute this thread, but the requirements for the failsafes are not cheap.
Did you even read the thread!?!?! Your ignorance towards the subject is bothering me, please re-read the thread before taking stabs in the dark.

Ryan-

How are your pumps wired?

·
Premium Member
10,170 Posts
chnco said:
Did you even read the thread!?!?! Your ignorance towards the subject is bothering me, please re-read the thread before taking stabs in the dark.
Hey -- Allen -- he's talking about failsafes that use an AEM.
Tell me that's cheap and then we can talk about my ignorance.

I would appreciate it if you'd check the 'ignorant' comments at the door. We can have a discussion here without bullshit words like that being thrown around. I can admit if I'm wrong, but I don't think I am.
-Chris

·
Premium Member
10,170 Posts
boredfast said:
this is becoming a big penis war :rolleyes:
Looks like an unhelpful, sarcastic comment to me. :)

This whole M/W injection aspect is an attempt to help understand the situation for all involved. There are no contests going on here AFAICT. If I'm wrong in my understanding Allen will tell me and explain why.

Either way everyone wins. Sorry if you don't seem to understand that.
-Chris

·
Registered
855 Posts
Quick, you're wrong for making general comments like the engine will blow if meth injection failed. AFAIK, Derek has failsafes designed for meth injection with the stock ecu too. Now let's stop polluting this thread and get back to the subject.

·
Premium Member
10,170 Posts
Hau said:
Quick, you're wrong for making general comments like the engine will blow if meth injection failed. AFAIK, Derek has failsafes designed for meth injection with the stock ecu too. Now let's stop polluting this thread and get back to the subject.
Here is the information straight from the source (Derek). It sounds like there are some 'roll your own' failsafes that are indeed available. I hope this helps to clear up any confusion.

Failsafes:
There is a pressure switch on top of the pump. This switch monitors the presence of injection pressure. You can use this output for any number of conditional actions within the car.

Stock ECU
* Reduce/keep boost at lower level (up to as low your wastegate will go) if system is not under pressure. Requires GM boost solenoid.
* Cut spark and/or fuel if beyond certain boost level and system is not under pressure. Requires pressure switch and relay.
* Deactivate any changes made to base fueling by s-afc or similar devise. Requires relay.

AEM EMS
* Reduce/keep boost at lower level (up to as low as your wastegate will go) if system is not under pressure. Built in aem function.
* Reduce ignition advance if beyond certain boost level and system is not under pressure. Built in aem function.
* Increase gasoline fueling if beyond certain boost level and system is not under pressure. Built in aem function.

·
wastegate hose is pulled
4,586 Posts
94TTBPU said:
No I try not to ever let it get below a 1/4 of a tank. The fuel system was put on about 2k miles ago. Do filters get clogged that quickly?
Not usually. It also wouldn't idle with low pressure unless it is REALLY clogged.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts