Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market for a fuel pressure regulator but i don't know much about them. What "features" should I be looking for? Do I need to able to adjust to over 70 or 80psi? What else would I need to install a FPR? Fittings? Gauge? why are there such big differences in price between certain FPRs even though they seem to have the same "features"?

Also, I plan to run this on a stock fuel system/67GTQ for now just to get a little extra fuel. Is it safe to bump up fuel pressure on an otherwise stock fuel system (accept FPDP)? What would be a good pressure to run for a little extra fuel. I only plan to boost around 18psi or so but the car has been running alittle lean so i want a little extra safety.

·
boost is good
772 Posts
oh and you'll need to buy the fittings for the reg. separate...you'll need a gauage..and braided fuel lines and fittings...to put one on the stock rail you might have to get some kind of special adapter or get a fitting welded on the end of the rail

·
Super Moderator
5,991 Posts
I've seen them mounted towards the center of the rail, or at least thats the way my buddy ByronB did with his Areomotive FPR:

VeilsideTT said:
I already have the FPDP on the back of the rail, is that where the FPR goes?

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Seth,
I can make you adapter for the stock fuel rail,so you don't have to take the rail out,but i need the factory fpr.
Erven

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So the adaptor makes the FPR easy to install and without it I would need to remove the IM and rail? Just let me know how much it is and the exact details. Thanks Erven. :) Now my broke ass just needs a FPR. :D

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Seth,
I can sell it to you for $35 with #6 an fitting,but i need a stock old fpr.Call Larry at Sp performance,he might can tell you what pressure you can run.I would say about 55-60psi

·
Never enough
1,418 Posts
VeilsideTT said:
I almost forgot, how much pressure should I be running for my setup guys?
Seth:

Im running about 3 bar pressure at idle with the vaccuam hose attatched and running plenty rich under boost.

Andrew

·
Ex APU Supra Guy
173 Posts
I have the Aeromotive one but it seems as though more people are switching to the TRD one. You may want to look into it. Supposedly they are more resistant to heat.

Alex

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
i use the Aeromotive one as well no problems works great.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So if stock pressure is 43, wouldn't 3 bar basically be the same thing? I went the cheap route with my single so I don't have money for a fuel system... right now at stock fuel pressure I am not seeing enough fuel even at low boost. How much more pressure would make a significant difference? Will just turning the pressure up on an otherwise stock fuel system put any more stress on any of the stock fuel components?

Erven, please give me a call on my cell, 914-582-1975 when you get a chance. I just have a couple questions about the fitting. Thanks.

·
Never enough
1,418 Posts
VeilsideTT said:
So if stock pressure is 43, wouldn't 3 bar basically be the same thing? I went the cheap route with my single so I don't have money for a fuel system... right now at stock fuel pressure I am not seeing enough fuel even at low boost. How much more pressure would make a significant difference? Will just turning the pressure up on an otherwise stock fuel system put any more stress on any of the stock fuel components?

Erven, please give me a call on my cell, 914-582-1975 when you get a chance. I just have a couple questions about the fitting. Thanks.
I would say your best bet is to add a second fuel pump, line, and FPR...this should allow you to easily max out the stock injectors (some have gotten 600whp with this setup)

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would love to but I am such a broke ass. Would it be a really bad idea to find a used TT fuel pump to save few bucks? Would buying dual Walbros and selling my stock pump be cheaper? How many feet of line would I need to run it from the pumps to the filter? Would it be best to use one -6 line or would I need 2 -6 lines comming from each pump? I assume I would need a high flow filter too right?

My other option I've been thinking about is running alchohol injection for now. i'm just worried that since I don't plan on running high boost (to spare my tranny) I will just end up running super rich all the time.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Veilside-

Since stock fp is right around 43psi you can use RC Engineering's formulas (http://rceng.com/technical.htm) to figure out how to much raise your fuel pressure. Also one thing to note is that RC figures a conservative 80% duty cycle, while many people go higher.

For example at 50 psi (base FP) and 90% duty cycle the stock injectors (on paper) are good for 612 hp, and at 60 psi and 90% duty cycle 669 hp.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Good link. Will the pump, lines and filter support that kind of HP? I assume the rail can flow enough for that kind of HP too right?

·
Lets go Nets
2,956 Posts
FattyCBR said:
Veilside-

Since stock fp is right around 43psi you can use RC Engineering's formulas (http://rceng.com/technical.htm) to figure out how to much raise your fuel pressure. Also one thing to note is that RC figures a conservative 80% duty cycle, while many people go higher.

For example at 50 psi (base FP) and 90% duty cycle the stock injectors (on paper) are good for 612 hp, and at 60 psi and 90% duty cycle 669 hp.
so wait this FPR sold online, can handle your saying 550 rwhp approx.?

Brett

1 - 20 of 21 Posts