Supra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
BoostAddict4Life
Joined
·
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, i dropped in a TT pump, and my car will not run on it. i got a couple questions for some of the wiser then i people.

here are the symptoms, the car will start run fine for a second or two then die. 97 obd2 and all that bs.

do i have to do the 12v fuel pump mod to get it to run? do i have to run a direct 12 volt wire from the battery with a relay to the ignition to have it run. what could the problems be.
 

·
King of the NA-T's
Joined
·
4,044 Posts
When I first went na-t, I installed a TT pump and no other mods to the fuel system and it ran fine. I'm guessing either you have a bad pump, or maybe forgot to hook something back up?
 

·
BoostAddict4Life
Joined
·
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have wired in two differnt pumps that chris johnson with performance motor sports has confirmed were good. i mean, i connected the two wires, connected the pump to the actual fuel pump holder connected the rubber hose at the top of the fuel pump to the fuel pump braket thing. then put everything back together, return lines, fuel pressure line, all that jaz, and then connected the harness.

the car would run for a bout 2 - 3 seconds and then die.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
288 Posts
gamimnon said:
i have wired in two differnt pumps that chris johnson with performance motor sports has confirmed were good. i mean, i connected the two wires, connected the pump to the actual fuel pump holder connected the rubber hose at the top of the fuel pump to the fuel pump braket thing. then put everything back together, return lines, fuel pressure line, all that jaz, and then connected the harness.

the car would run for a bout 2 - 3 seconds and then die.
Sorry, I dont know the background on your car, so i guess the obvious question, do u have larger injectors and are u using some form of fuel mgmt, etc.? If you are running a stock ecm w/ no fuel mgmt, the car might just be shutting itself down cuz you are running horribly rich. That, and if you are using a safc, remember to go with hotwire. Again, sorry, I havent read up much on your car so I am shooting in the dark.
 

·
BoostAddict4Life
Joined
·
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
VPC and SAFC2 combo and it was tuned to pressure,

550cc injectors, stock FPR, VPC A chip, Safc2 tuned to -2% for idle.
 

·
2JZ NA-T
Joined
·
5,413 Posts
if your car ran for 2-3 secs you had fuel left in the lines, ure pump has no power to it.....it happend to me when i had my pump out and the wires disconected splicing in a switch, just go back through and make sure all of the electrical wiring is good, check and see if the lines have a current
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,708 Posts
fuel pump computer may have taken a dump. try jumping fp to b+ on dia. port under the hood
 

·
BoostAddict4Life
Joined
·
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
it would continually start, run and then die.... i drained the fuel out of the lines anyways. also, the fuel pump ecu cant be bad i think because the na pump will run on it...
 

·
King of the NA-T's
Joined
·
4,044 Posts
If you jumper the diagnostic port and turn on the key can you hear the pump running, or hear fuel rushing through the FPR?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
511 Posts
maybe...

gamimnon said:
hey guys, i dropped in a TT pump, and my car will not run on it. i got a couple questions for some of the wiser then i people.

here are the symptoms, the car will start run fine for a second or two then die. 97 obd2 and all that bs.

do i have to do the 12v fuel pump mod to get it to run? do i have to run a direct 12 volt wire from the battery with a relay to the ignition to have it run. what could the problems be.
perhaps it's running too rich?
 

·
BoostAddict4Life
Joined
·
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
jumper the diagnostic port... explain how i do this dave, hey how about you pm me your # so i can do this in one step instead of doing post tag...
 

·
King of the NA-T's
Joined
·
4,044 Posts
You just do the 12v mod, I'm not sure which pins you jumper on a obd2 car, but on obd1 I think it's FP and B+



gamimnon said:
jumper the diagnostic port... explain how i do this dave, hey how about you pm me your # so i can do this in one step instead of doing post tag...
 

·
BoostAddict4Life
Joined
·
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i just screwed the fuel pump ecu all together and ran a power line directly to the battery using a relay to turn on and off the pump with the ignition. the car runs now and the pumps are getting 14 volts, probly not too good for em but hey i wont ever run short of fuel with 550 cc injectors
 

·
King of the NA-T's
Joined
·
4,044 Posts
If possible, I'd try to use the stock fuel pump wiring as a trigger for the relay. The stock wiring will shut off the pump if the engine shuts off which is a nice safety item. Say you get in a bad wreck, and get rear ended and the fuel line gets torn off, you are sitting in the car unconscious while the fuel pump is purring away emptying your fuel tank on the ground. :-0
 

·
BoostAddict4Life
Joined
·
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
no i did, the blue wire from the fuel pump is ecu is what i used. there are two wires that on it. when the ignition is on it sends power to the fuel pump through this blue wire, while 12 volt power comes from a black and red wire. i wired it so when the key is "on" the fuel pump ecu is gettin power from the battery through the stock wiring, tahts what i used.

but thanks dave make me feel any safer about my death trap of a car anyways, :wtflol:
 

·
Newbie
Joined
·
11,221 Posts
The prev owner of my car did the 12 volt mod (I think), and he didn't connect the fuel ecu back. Should I plug it back? He just cut and soldered the 2 wires and never connected it back to the fuel ecu.

I really don't see the point of the ecu after the 12 volt mod (because doesn't all the ecu do is switch from 8 to 12 volts)?

So in a nutshell, even after doing the 12 volt mod, should I plug the fuel ecu to the harness, and why can't I just leave it disconnected?
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top