Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I fell in love with MKIII's a little while back and am set on getting one, it's just finding the right one. Today I went and looked at an '87 turbo with new paint, 18" rims, new brakes, boost controller, ic pipes, hks ssqv, and some other goodies.

The problem with it is the dude said one day after it rained (don't think that has anything to do with it..) the car wouldn't start. It cranks and spins but won't fire. He also said he doesn't hear a whine from the fuel pump with ignition on. Now, I know very well that a Walbro is only $100, but does this sound correct? Could it be the relay? The guy is asking $2,450. If worse comes to worse, can I just find a 7M/1JZ and have someone swap it and keep everything under $6,000?

I tried calling Boost Logic to see if they would do it but they're closed for the night.

Would it make sense to rent a trailer and take it to a mechanic and have them look at it? The battery was dead so I couldn't see what he was talking about but I will go more into depth with it if necessary.

·
Registered
496 Posts
haha i just had the fuel pump go out on me not too long ago. but it was nice, because it crapped out at school, so i was able to fix it there without having to tow it anywhere. stock fuel pump is like 225-250. REDICULOUS! if it's clean enough and that's really the only problem, get it.

post some pics if you can!

-t3d

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Really? Hmm..

So it is possible it's just a pump. It would be nice to get a running Supra turbo for ~$2300.

Any reason you didn't just go with a Walbro 255lph? ($100)

PS- He has the front piece sitting in the car, matching color, it just needs to be put back on.

·
Registered
496 Posts
first of all... that's a hot color!

well, before i did the fuel pump, i checked every fuse and every relay.
after i narrowed it down and took it out. i jumped it to see if any fuel would pump out and got nothing.

everyone told me to just get a Walbro pump, but i was impacient and didn't want to order one and sit around and wait for it. plus i wanted to make sure that was the problem. my car is NA and i didn't feel any reason to put an aftermarket pump on there.

WONT BE NA IN ABOUT A MONTH OR SO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
=0)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Sweet man that's exciting. Well, that's good and bad to know that your car is NA. It doesn't necessarily mean turbo pumps go out, but it shows that Supra pumps do.

I'm starting to wonder if I should just pop an injector out and see if I get any fuel on crank. lol

Yeah, the color is one of the reasons I'm attracted to it. It's not perfect.. at all.. it was a cheap job and I can still see some red where it chipped but it looks good from a distance.

At this point I'm thinking that if I can get it to run I'll just take it over to Boost Logic and have them throw in some forged goodies and make it purr like new. (well, and give me some potential)

·
Registered
496 Posts
well, if you are able to. check to see if you're getting any fuel pressure out of it. that was also one of the steps i did before deciding on the fuel pump. i got no pressure at all while cranking.

fuel pumps are goin to go out on any old car. it sucks but it's gonna happen. did you notice if anything else looks bad in the engine?

but yea. if you got the money, that's i would do. but my problem is the lack of money so i got to be patient for my upgrades =0(

-t3d

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I guess that depends on what you mean by looks bad? It didn't look like it was the most cared for, but anything in particular?

·
Needs More 1jz
987 Posts
looks like a good car color is hot is he willing to go lower? maybe flash him 2g in cash and then take the other 300 you woulda spent on it and pay for the pump swap?

i hate the header panel its such a pain in the ass to put on and take off because of the fender bolts.

edit: take a look around the engine bay and in the overflow bottle look under the oil cap for signs of BHG if you can turn the car on check the codes just to see if it has any.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, so I tried calling the guy to ask him some questions but only left a message. I might go over today if I can to have a closer look mechanically. I'm not too worried though because there's a shop just down the road (Manchaca for any Austinites) that will charge me $45 for a buyers inspection. But it's also $60 towing each way. :(

I probably will offer him $2,000 because there's a good chance the engine needs a thorough rebuild or a new engine entirely. Apparently Boost Logic doesn't work on MKIII's (only MKIV's.. lame..) so I'll need to find a new speed shop should I want the motor built.

·
Registered
496 Posts
edit: take a look around the engine bay and in the overflow bottle look under the oil cap for signs of BHG if you can turn the car on check the codes just to see if it has any.
i agree

1 - 11 of 11 Posts