Supra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, my car decided it didn't feel like running anymore due to the fuel pump not kicking on unless you beat on the fuel tank. It died at a service shop where I was going to have my inspection done. Now, how hard is it to change the pump with minimal tools? I've done one before but I had a lift and the proper tools. I had just filled the tank so it's going to be really heavy... anyways, here's all my questions:

1) How hard?

2) What tools are absolutely necessary?

3) How much is the pump?

4) I have 550cc injectors, so now would be the ideal time to upgrade. What exactly should I buy? A walbro or MK4 pump? PM me if you have an unused one for sale.

5) The guy at the shop quoted me $400+ dollars for the pump assembly, is this necessary, or do I just need the pump?

Thanks for all your help.

·
I don't want an MK4!
1,734 Posts
GSS-341

Replace the fuel filter since your in there.

Jonez made it look easy to do, but he makes all that shit look easy.

Edit- The pump and kit cost about 100.00. Ebay. Check Summit Racing as they are close to you, if you need it quick.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
90Legend said:
GSS-341

Replace the fuel filter since your in there.

Jonez made it look easy to do, but he makes all that shit look easy.

Edit- The pump and kit cost about 100.00. Ebay. Check Summit Racing as they are close to you, if you need it quick.
Summit racing is close if I still lived in Ohio :) Luckily i'll be heading back this weekend, but fuck, what shitty luck.

On a positive note, I went back after letting it cool down and it fired and ran like normal. I got her back to my place, but I'm still not sure what the problem is. Do fuel pumps usually die a slow death?

How hard is it to get the walbro to work?

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One more thing: could I be dealing with a clogged filter? Is there a filter on the pump and one on the fuel line outside the tank? How hard is it to replace the filter?

·
Moderator, l337 M0d3r4t0r
12,275 Posts
Cost me 100 to replace the PUMP, not a job I wanted to do becuase I knew how hard it would be...

#1 Rusted connections to the fuel filter,
#2 full fuel tank heavy heavy heavy'
#3 working around gas tends not to get me excited....

Walbro cost me 100 + 100 for the install +50 for new filter form toyota = 250 total and i'm a happy man.. only thing is I think the walbro is pooched now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts