Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
LEADED FUEL ONLY
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I helped install a fuel system in a car a few weeks back and we're getting some big time fuel smell after running the car for a bit. We figured we had a fitting loose, so we ran the fuel pump, and cranked the regulator up toe 80psi. No leak anywhere. We ran this for a solid 2 or 3 minutes both looking under the car keeping an eye on any fittings or spray of fuel. We've got nothing. Evap is solid in this car as well.

All the fittings are earls -6 and perform-o-flex lines. I'm stumped on this one...

TIA.

·
Registered
639 Posts
My car has a somewhat elusive problem similar to this.. You cannot see ANYTHING but sure can smell strong smell around FPR area.. The problem has been 'worked on' at least 3 times but no luck!! I am beginning to wish I had left the fuel setup alone..

My car still has charcoal canister.. Does it need changing or can it be removed and the smell will disappear?? I just assumed a fitting somewhere around FPR that is just not fitting together properly.. I have PowerHouse Racing fuel lines/fittings with SX Fuel Press Regulator, HKS rail, and Greddy 720CC injectors..

·
Registered
4,553 Posts
I have all braided lines and AN fittings. The conclusion I have come to realize - it's gonna reek no matter what! Those AN fittings are hard to keep from leaking a very small amount even if it doesnt look wet. Even if they dont leak, they reek!

Any car with all braided lines is the same as a race car. If you have a race car you cant complain of it reeks like gas! You give up the integrity of factory fuel lines in the name of HP!

I would bet that the new style of Earl's black non-braided AN lines would not reek as much. Easier to cut too!

Al

·
GT-R DUN, Son.
3,492 Posts
yeah I have dealt with the problem and I have my car at torquefreaks..I hope they can do something to minimize the smell at least somewhat...I seems that when the windows are down it smells more...

S

·
0 Posts
Wow! Glad I'm not alone on this one.

Sounds like my issue isn't as bad as everyone else's.

The only problem I have is when the car is pulling air from the outside through the air ducts. I get a very faint fuel smell when I come to a stop and the fan is pulling in the air from the outside. I've immediately gotten out of the car, popped the hood only to smell nothing and find no leaks :confused:

I've pressureized my system a few times, been over every connection and NO leaks. I've touched every connection (including injectors) and no fuel residue. wtf??

Sounds like this is just par for the course when installing a aftermarket fuel system? Anyone have an aftermarket fuel system and not get any smell at all?

·
Registered
904 Posts
stoker6 said:
Wow! Glad I'm not alone on this one.

Sounds like my issue isn't as bad as everyone else's.

The only problem I have is when the car is pulling air from the outside through the air ducts. I get a very faint fuel smell when I come to a stop and the fan is pulling in the air from the outside. I've immediately gotten out of the car, popped the hood only to smell nothing and find no leaks :confused:

I've pressureized my system a few times, been over every connection and NO leaks. I've touched every connection (including injectors) and no fuel residue. wtf??

Sounds like this is just par for the course when installing a aftermarket fuel system? Anyone have an aftermarket fuel system and not get any smell at all?
I too have the same problem(mild smell) since I upgraded the fuel system. I have come to accept this tradeoff for the additional HP gained from going single. However, a cure would be nice.

·
LEADED FUEL ONLY
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What kind of hose are you guys using?? I know SS braided, but what *type*? Earls perform-o-flex.. earls auto-flex.. russel..

I think I've tracked it down and just want to know if i'm right.

S

·
0 Posts
My fuel system is a GA fuel system. I did a search for "fuel smell" and found this thread

One person claims that the hydraulic lines used will "sweat" and smell. Angel goes on to support the fact that the lines used are made for fuel systems.

·
LEADED FUEL ONLY
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thats exactly what I've found. I'm told the ONLY wa to fix is by going with teflon lines ss braided hose. Kind of sucks since thats the fittings for both lines aren't compatible.

I don't have a problem at all with mine, but I'm not running as much braided line as my buddy. I also use earl's hose, but run the auto-flex (fabric inner braid) as opposed to my buddy who's having a the problem with perform-o-flex (stele inner braid). The latter has a single dark strandwoven into the outter braiding. Easy to tell the difference.

Earl's backs this up, yet a NHRA shop in dayton claimes they've never had a problem with either hose.

I'm wondering if we can narrow this down to a specific hose..

S

·
0 Posts
Well, the fuel lines sweating seems like a reasonable explanation. I used Teflon tape everywhere except on the flare fittings and can't find any leaks anywhere.

Is that what Earl's verified when you called them? That your friends particular lines sweat? Wasn't quite sure from the way you worded it.

It's just a mystery how I can only get the smell when the AC fan is in non-recirulation mode. Never smell it otherwise. If I put my nose right next to the aeromotive FPR then I can get a faint smell (every connection to the FPR I used teflon tape on). Hmmm...I do notice that after I park the car, open the hood, and let it sit for a few minutes then I also get a faint smell from where all of the SS braided lines rest together at the bottom of the intake plenum. Bone dry though! I rub my hands all over the lines and fittings and then smell my hand...NOTHING. Aggravating to say the least.

BTW, all my lines are SS braided...even the return line from the FPR.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
look at the fuel filter connects. Mine is a little wet there and it is because of the an lines. Its not to bad but if you rub your finger there it is a little wet. Just a thought.

P

·
0 Posts
happened to me too. Race car performance comes with race car costs, and sometimes race car smell.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I have had this problem too.
I remember returning from lunch in my old shirt & Tie job smelling like fuel after cruising around with the Targa off. Boss wasn't liking it too much.

One time I was on a long drive with the AC on and the windows up and the smell was so strong I started getting light headed.
If I hadn't immediately put the windows down I probably would have passed out.

Its weird how it gets into the vents so strongly.

Anyone have any ideas on why?

·
Never enough
1,418 Posts
I'm also having this smell, I figured it was from removing the EVAP canister? Would putting this back on help a lot? Im glad im along with you guys on this, ive been stumped for weeks trying to find a leak or something!!:p

Andrew

B

·
0 Posts
My white car smelled AWEFUL! Whats weird is when I took the fuel system off it and put it on the red car the smell went away, none at all. One of the places I think it was coming from and where ya'll might be getting it is around the injectors. When the car is under boost it might have been leaking around them and pushing alittle fuel out, they always looked kinda wet around them and once after a kinda high boost pull it looked like it actually sprayed some on the intake manifold. Also, whoever had put the fuel system on the white car had used teflon tape on all the AN fittings......BIG no no. They seal themselves and teflon tape just boogers up in there and makes em leak.

Make sure there is no plumbers tape on everything, make sure your injectors are in real tight and you greased the o-rings good, make sure the fittings on the fuel filter are REAL tight, make sure the fittings going into the rail itself arent too tight, you can squish the o-ring in there too much......those are the only things I can think of off the top of my head.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts