Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I noticed after I got my Supra back from the shop, which installed an RKS fuel system with -10 fuel line supply and -8 return lines, that now my garage STINKs of fuel, however I see no leaks.....

94 Supra TT (singled)

What might be the cause of this, this cant be normal.....I noticed a canister has been removed, not sure what it is for, possibly a vapour fuel breather canister???

I hate dealing with shops that cant do things right the first time.....

Thanks
Rick.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Sounds like the canister removal is the problem... The Gray canister is used to reroute vapors out of the car.

Go back to the shop and get them to fix the problem. Mkay

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
YUP thought so....thanks.....

·
From the land down under
4,256 Posts
If you didnt ask for the CC to be removed, then I would be pretty pissed with the shop in question.

As above, take it back and politely ask them to remedy the faults

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
The CC could be part of the problem. But it could also be your fuel lines themselves. Its called Fuel Permeation, and I've been living with these problems since buying my Supra.

Fuel Permeation occurs when certain additives are found in the fuel which react with the rubber in the braided lines. By any chance are you running Pietro Canada 94 octane?

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
^ if your lines are permeating fuel vapours you may want to consider going to Teflon Braided Lines. I'm looking to do the same.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I experienced much the same problem.. Canister checked out and ALL!! A simple thing was overlooked however.. the fuel pump assembly in-tank was NOT properly sealed when removed and reinserted. I had the problem for many months and everything was checked. I even replaced fuel pressure regulator, etc. The whole problem were vapors escaping tank around where pumps bolt in and the air entering the window would circulate the vapors and smell throughout cabin.

Resealed all components near and around pump assembly and problem solved....

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great Advice, I'l recheck everything and re-install the fuel pump hanger assembly,

And yes I have been using Petro Canada 94 Octane, however I was out in Shannanville racetrack over the weekend racing, and on my way home I was forced to fill my tank up with some 91 Octane no name brand gas, which has a very disturbing smell to it, much worse than the Petro C. 94 Octane I usually buy.

I would hate to have to change the lines again to Teflon braided, actually im not even sure if these ones arent..the lines I purchased are from summit racing.

CC=charcoal canister is still inplace, I made sure it stayed that way, didnt want any issues with the DOT and laws here.

Thanks ...
Rick.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Rick - put your nose up to some of the fuel lines. If they are permeating vapours you will smell it easily. Let us know what you find...

·
Registered
271 Posts
I'd be checking out the hose. My sons car has the same problem. My car doesn't, I have teflon hose.!

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I did last nite, I checked everything, put my nose near the pressure reg, and yes I could smell fuel, however its completely dry..
I also smell abit of fuel from the fuel pump hanger area..but again completey dry!

So maybe the Summit Racing fittings and steel braided lines and fittings will permeat fuel fumes?? I find this hard to beleive but maybe they do...If they did I think I would find them to be wet or damp from fuel..

Next Im going to order a new fuel pump hanger seal and replace it.

Il keep searching for this ellusive fuel smell, I really cant live with this..

Rick..

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
My braided lines also smell like fuel in the garage. Some days worse than others, like yesterday was really humid and it smelled pretty strong! Other days, dont even notice it.

Al

·
Registered
865 Posts
I have the same trouble and when I start the car, fuel pressure is always at 0 never kept between startup and shutdown.

So far I replaced my fuel dampner hose with home made -6AN PTFE teflon braided line going to the fuel filter. The I replaced my fuel return from the AFPR to the metal 8mm line using a brass compression fitting on the oem return line to convert to -6AN to the AFPR. Only line remaining is fuel rail to the AFPR, this one smell

I'm using Shell V-Power but was using Sonic Ethanol during a complete season. I wasn't sure how the fuel pressure could go to 0 between shutdown, smell so much and don't drip fuel on the floor, not I understand what Fuel Permeation is !

I was so unsafe that I mounted 2 fire instinctors in the trunk using computer harddrive magnets in place of the spare tire.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I've been living with this since I got my car last December. It's annoying.

Kane - Do you still notice a smell on the teflon lines? I'm considering redoing all my line this winter to cut down on the smell.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Select the right hose for the job...

Due to the introduction of new blends of unleaded fuels and fuel additives from all manufacturers in recent years it has become increasingly difficult to assure the compatibility of these fuels with the current hose constructions.

Currently the best hose option for use with unleaded petrol is the 200 series Teflon® hose (-6 and –8 sizes have a carbon lining to prevent static build up).
The construction of the –6 and –8 100 series hose has been modified to be more compatible with unleaded fuels but as of yet extended testing results are not available.

Below is a guide to uses of the various hoses we currently stock.
100 Series

Uses: Fuel Systems, Coolant Systems & Oil Pressure Systems.
Compatibility: Methanol, Water, Oil & Unleaded Fuel (see note below).
Restrictions: Not recommended for use in confined areas with unleaded fuels due to permeation of fuel vapors.
Not to be used with brake fluids.
Not recommended for use around extreme heat sources such as turbo’s.

200 Series

Uses: Brake Lines (off road use only), Clutch Lines, Fuel Systems (-6 & -8 with antistatic carbon lining), Turbo oil feed Hose, Coolant Systems, Oil Pressure Systems, Gauge lines & Power Steering.
Compatibility: Brake Fluids, Unleaded Petrol, Methanol, Water, & Oil.
Ideal for use with Unleaded fuel
Restrictions:
400 Series
Uses: Fuel lines (methanol only), Low Pressure Oil Systems & Coolant Systems.
Compatibility: Methanol, Water & Oil
Restrictions: Not recommended for use with unleaded fuels as it is known to allow the permeation of fuel smell through the layers as well as other possible issues

·
Registered
865 Posts
Telram: so far I only replaced 2 rubber stainless braided aftermarket lines that was old, sof ar the 2 I repalced doesn't appear to smell, only the remaining one. I'm doing the remaining one this winter, I hope the smell stop and fuel pressure stay between shutdown and startup.

Also PTFE braided lines offer less resistance to fuel than traditionnal rubber lines, fuel flow more in ptfe lines... I used -6AN

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Anyone know what this is???

·
Registered
6,785 Posts
I experienced much the same problem.. Canister checked out and ALL!! A simple thing was overlooked however.. the fuel pump assembly in-tank was NOT properly sealed when removed and reinserted. I had the problem for many months and everything was checked. I even replaced fuel pressure regulator, etc. The whole problem were vapors escaping tank around where pumps bolt in and the air entering the window would circulate the vapors and smell throughout cabin.

Resealed all components near and around pump assembly and problem solved....
There's no bolts holding the hanger in and there is no need to seal anything with sealant

I did last nite, I checked everything, put my nose near the pressure reg, and yes I could smell fuel, however its completely dry..
I also smell abit of fuel from the fuel pump hanger area..but again completey dry!

So maybe the Summit Racing fittings and steel braided lines and fittings will permeat fuel fumes?? I find this hard to beleive but maybe they do...If they did I think I would find them to be wet or damp from fuel..

Next Im going to order a new fuel pump hanger seal and replace it.

Il keep searching for this ellusive fuel smell, I really cant live with this..

Rick..
You buy cheap shit and blame the shop for a bad install when you admittingly have no leaks. Tha fuck else could they have done better? Buy you quality shit like you should have done first? Gtfo

1 - 20 of 71 Posts