Supra Forums banner

21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Telram: so far I only replaced 2 rubber stainless braided aftermarket lines that was old, sof ar the 2 I repalced doesn't appear to smell, only the remaining one. I'm doing the remaining one this winter, I hope the smell stop and fuel pressure stay between shutdown and startup.

Also PTFE braided lines offer less resistance to fuel than traditionnal rubber lines, fuel flow more in ptfe lines... I used -6AN
BTW - It is normal for the fuel pressure to drop to 0 within about 10-15 minutes from shutdown. Mine drops from 38psi to 0 within 15 min of shutdown. Replacing hoses will not change that.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
There's no bolts holding the hanger in and there is no need to seal anything with sealant

You buy cheap shit and blame the shop for a bad install when you admittingly have no leaks. Tha fuck else could they have done better? Buy you quality shit like you should have done first? Gtfo
I wasnt the one who bought CHEAP SHIT! actually everything on my car is TOP QUALITY...the shop who installed this fuel system suggested they build the lines themselves to save money......when I actually wanted to purchase a complete RKS System ....they should have advised me my garage would end up stinking like fuel vapours and possibly blow up in my face.....then ofcourse I would have insisted to purchase quality pre- made fuel lines.. like I SUGGESTED the first time!

·
Registered
544 Posts
I have used the summit lines and on another build the russell lines.

I did not notice any difference between the 2 hoses. Neither one gave off a fuel smell.

How is the tank vented ? Which RKS fuel sender did you use ? Post a pic of the top.

·
Registered
865 Posts
BTW - It is normal for the fuel pressure to drop to 0 within about 10-15 minutes from shutdown. Mine drops from 38psi to 0 within 15 min of shutdown. Replacing hoses will not change that.
Nice informations, I was sure all EFI car had a check valve inside the fuel pump that would keep the fuel pressure, at least some pressure between each 24 hours shutdown/restart....

I only installed by fuel pressure gauge at the same time I was doing fuel damper mod and repalcing lines, so I was sure it had something to do with it ! Thanks for pointing this out

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Today was a warm day and I came home and the house smells like a gas station. My fuel vent is closed off, it's the damn lines that smell. I need to change these out this winter.

·
Registered
544 Posts
If you have a vented gas cap and your tank vent is plugged it will still vent.

When you open your gas cap do you get a gush of pressure? If not then the tank is somehow being vented.

·
Registered
865 Posts
In adition, the starter is right around fuel lines, so I would fear a spark from starting the Supra could trigger a fuel fire....

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
The gas cap is not vented, I could replace with a vented one but the problem is not from the fuel tank. It is the fuel lines that are permeating fuel. Depending on the additives used in the fuel you use, some additives will seep through the lines and stink up a garage overnight.

I always air out the garage before starting the car, but during warm weather and with a closed garage the smell is incredible. If I open my garage you will easily smell it 30 feet away.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Update on the fuel smell issue, I have narrowed it down to it being the actual lines themselves, however I did re-tighten every coulpling and the smell is less noticable, but still sticks up my garage abit.

I guess the only way to get rid of it entirely is to replace both the supply and return lines with ones that dont permeate.

Thanks for everyones inputs...
Rick.

·
Registered
678 Posts
What brand are the fuel lines?

·
Registered
153 Posts
^^^^ the OP stated that they are summit lines.
I have the same issue with Aeroquip lines and am also noticing the nickel is peeling off of there expensive nickel coated fittings. I'm not impressed with the quality for the price.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Rick - If you plan to change the lines - be sure to get some Teflon coated lines. They are also called PTFE lines.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Rick - If you plan to change the lines - be sure to get some Teflon coated lines. They are also called PTFE lines.
Great Thanks for the info..

I'l probably leave it alone the way it is for now.

Rick.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Summit lines stinking up my garage, I wish I would of got the Teflon coated lines, just didn't know until after the fact .......

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Really sucks that so many of us are finding this out the hard way. Anyone have any recommendations on good Teflon (PTFE) lines?

·
Registered
409 Posts
When I bought my stuff from summit I bought all teflon except for the short stints that will be inside the engine bay and soo far the only fuel smell is from my car being slightly rich

21 - 40 of 71 Posts