Supra Forums banner

41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Swagger Wagon
419 Posts
if you buy the summit PTFE lines don't you need to get the PTFE fittings too?

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
^ Yes

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
I have the same issue, its the lack of fuel carbon canister. Your fuel is heated up from the recirculation through the return lines and the gasoline reaches a vapor point and it will stink, even once the fuel has cooled off for days.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
^ that is an easy fix if your canister is out. I just plug the hose to the tank when I park her in the garage. Ofcourse that doesn't address the fuel permeation issue.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
^ Those are not fuel lines.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Anyone know where to get some Teflon PTFE fuel lines?

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Replaced an apparently non fuel rated silicone hose (previous owner) from the stock hard line to charcoal canister and this fixed mine from stinking-up the garage..

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I replaced my fuels lines with PTFE lines and changed the gasket on the fuel tank. No smell in the garage anymore!

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
Sounds like the line that runs to the tank. I took the left hose off to mount my boost controller, and you can really smell raw gas coming from that hard line! I plugged it with a golf tee while I was working.

Al

·
Toyota Master Tech
1,449 Posts
Depending on the system you need a tank vent of some kind. Not easy to pour gas out of a can without a vent. Next this is nothing new about fuel smell from braided lines. If you park outside it's not a problem. E85 will break down the rubber faster than pump. Teflon won't allow vapors to escape and will hold up the best. Also fuel line is not the place to save money with cheap quality parts. Aeroquip, brown and miller, are not much more. Teflon line is also less flexible depending on the company used so plan accordingly. For my external pump I. Need a -8 vent and plan to place it in a area that will allow me to cap the line to park the car in my garage.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
In the case of an accident (say the car flips over) does the vent on our tanks plug up and prevent fuel from leaking out?

·
Garage Queen Club
2,822 Posts
After my car sat for ~2 years, primed the pumps in the garage, and days later, suddenly a big stink has endured. I've been replacing and tightening as I go, but I do smell fuel from the entire length of my -8AN summit SS braided hose. This hose is probably 8 years old, still looks Ok in condition. I've been on 93 octane mostly, have had to throw in some fuel water wetter in the winters to keep the fuel clean, not sure if that suddenly had a reaction with the rubber.

Since the car sat idle in the garage for so long, with no smells, all the lines were empty. Thus, the fuel tank seal must have been fine. I also don't have a charcoal canister, but had the vapor line plugged with cloth. Even with that, no smell in the garage for the longest time.

Was only after priming the system that the smell began to permeate. I suspect the lines, will start replacing and report back.

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
My braided fuel line smells like gas a little too. Always has been that way. I notice fuel smells in the garage when the humidity goes up, like in the summer.

My money is on the lack of a charcoal canister causing most of it though.

Al

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
You guys should replace your lines with PTFE (Telfon) hoses.

My house used to smell like gas in the summer, and once I changed the lines, I don't have any smell at all (and I don't have a charcoal canister either).

·
Banned
2,060 Posts
my fuel smell was caused due to me not venting the line that runs to the gas tank, i made a mistake by capping it off..now that the cap is removed .. i might just add a nipple on the intake pipe and run a hose to it or just vent off right by the air filter

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
i might just add a nipple on the intake pipe and run a hose to it
The stock throttle body has a tiny nipple on it, like 1/16" dia. I would run a skinny hose to that with a check valve in it.

If you ran a line straight to the intake pipe, it would REALLY pull some fumes and possibly raw gas when under boost.

Al

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I agree with adding a check valve but it wouldn't pull gas under boost with out one, it will pressure the gas tank under boost

41 - 60 of 71 Posts