Supra Forums banner

61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Has anyone thought about doing hardlines and be done with it? I plan on going all hardlines soon to avoid leaks, permeation, and what not. But has anyone here done it already? Please chime in.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Look up kaizen motorsports. They do a lot of hard line installs

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
I agree with adding a check valve but it wouldn't pull gas under boost with out one, it will pressure the gas tank under boost
We were referring to two different sources. Only suction in the intake pipe, which increases dramatically when under boost. Too strong of a source without running thru the charcoal canister setup like factory.

The throttle body side would need the check valve because it sees vacuum and boost.

Al

·
Garage Queen Club
2,822 Posts
Odd. I replaced the entire -8an fuel feed line from the pump to my fuel filter (which smelt of fuel). I made another -8an (still SS braided over rubber from Earls), and this line also smells like fuel the entire length. Mind you I've had spare fuel line sitting in the box for almost 8 years. Didn't think it would degrade.

I also installed the carbon canister, but still get a stench. All fittings tight. I can get a whiff of it right near the #6 cylinder area, even after it has sat for over 24 hours. Wondering if the new fuel rail -6an O-rings I installed on both ends are not seating correctly. Will probably dismantle rail next and investigate.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Read up on fuel permeation. Depending on the additives used in the fuel you buy, some fuels will permeate rubber much more easily and hence the smell along the line. I got my PTFE (Teflon) hoses from Orme brothers, fully crimped and everything. No smell anymore.

·
Garage Queen Club
2,822 Posts
that's why I replaced my fuel line with a brand new, albeit still rubber/SS combo, yet it still smelled. It doesn't make sense that permeation happens immediately on new rubber. But, at the same time, I don't think it is what is causing the odor overnight. I suspect some other component and have to keep searching. Not intending on going complete PTFE as there are countless others with standard rubber/SS and have no fuel smell issues. Heck, I had no fuel smell issues for years!

Read up on fuel permeation. Depending on the additives used in the fuel you buy, some fuels will permeate rubber much more easily and hence the smell along the line. I got my PTFE (Teflon) hoses from Orme brothers, fully crimped and everything. No smell anymore.

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
I have noticed that a strong uptick in humidity increases the fuel smell in the garage dramatically. Like going from no smell to a strong smell overnight.

We are having Florida humidity right now, which is not helping.

Al

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
Bringing this back up. Need some recommendations on PTFE or Teflon braided line that doesn't smell like fuel AT ALL. Every inch of those rubber lines smells like gas, tired of it.

Looking to upgrade my braided rubber lines while I'm in there, and fittings since they may not match up, which sucks. I was on Summit's site, and it is not very intuitive finding the matching fittings, etc. I know they have them, but they make you work to find them.

Thanks,
Al

·
Registered
52 Posts
I’ve got DIY ptfe lines and fittings from RaceFlux. No fuel smell in the garage here. I’ve heard good things about RedHorse Performance as well. No one I know of makes prebuilt lines for an IS300, but having a Supra opens a few more doors to off-the-shelf stuff (of course at a Supra Tax cost). You may see if Radium Engineering has premade ptfe lines for a Supra.

·
Registered
1993 Supra NA-T
72 Posts
Bringing this back up. Need some recommendations on PTFE or Teflon braided line that doesn't smell like fuel AT ALL. Every inch of those rubber lines smells like gas, tired of it.

Looking to upgrade my braided rubber lines while I'm in there, and fittings since they may not match up, which sucks. I was on Summit's site, and it is not very intuitive finding the matching fittings, etc. I know they have them, but they make you work to find them.

Thanks,
Al
PTFE lines are teflon/plastic lined. They are E85 safe and designed to avoid letting vapors out. Use quality PTFE line with quality fittings and you will be fine.

61 - 71 of 71 Posts