Supra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to change my fuel setup, I'm running twin walbros and bosch 900cc high imp injectors at present and they are maxed out.

I'm thinking ID 2000 injectors and maybe one of the big weldon pumps, anyone got any pictures of there setup and advice for me please? where is your external pump mounted? How does the fuel tank pickup work? is a swirl pot needed?

Thanks Jamie.

·
Super Moderator
11,178 Posts
What's your base pressure and how much power are you making?

How much power are you looking to make? Hard to really give sound advice on a fuel system until we know specifics.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its about 900hp at the min, im running a billet 76 at present at 30psi but I may upgrade soon, im not sure on the base pressure but my mapper told me we cant turn it up any more and the injectors are maxed.

I am going to go for the ID2000cc injectors, i want a fuel system that can handle plenty of power so i dont have to upgrade at a later date when i want more power and a bigger turbo.

What im looking for info on is how the pump setup works, do these big external pumps (weldon 2345-a) simply pull fuel from the stock tank? or is a swirl pot needed? does another pump fill the swirl pot?

Any pictures of setups would be great.

·
Super Moderator
11,178 Posts
Its about 900hp at the min, im running a billet 76 at present at 30psi but I may upgrade soon, im not sure on the base pressure but my mapper told me we cant turn it up any more and the injectors are maxed.

I am going to go for the ID2000cc injectors, i want a fuel system that can handle plenty of power so i dont have to upgrade at a later date when i want more power and a bigger turbo.

What im looking for info on is how the pump setup works, do these big pumps simply pull fuel from the stock tank? or is a swirl pot needed? does another pump fill the swirl pot?

Any pictures of setups would be great.

I honestly have never seen a swirl pot on any built Supra in the US. They are pretty popular in Australia and Japan, but I've never found any kind of solid data as to when/how/why they would be required. The theory is reasonable, but I haven't seen any data or evidence.

I know that Twins Turbo here in the states has a few tricks for sumping the OEM fuel tank to suit external pumps, but plenty of other folks seem to be using self-priming external pumps in conjunction with a simple tube going down from the fuel pump hanger plate down to the bottom of the tank.

But for street use, there are literally hundreds of 2JZ-GTE Supras here in the states with built fuel systems utilizing the stock fuel tank and dual or triple pumps in-tank without incident. Having previously used a Weldon I don't think I'd care to hear it if I was regularly street driving the vehicle. A multiple Bosch 044 pump setup might be worth considering instead.

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
^^^other members have managed to fit dual 044's in-tank and have reported that it is do-able but not easy.

many issues to consider here, and i find it an interesting discussion. the big single pumps i've heard (my own in-tank Fuelab 42401 included) are pretty noisy. most Weldons i've heard are stupid loud (i've been told that Magnafuel and Aeromotive are similar), but Jim Swantko recently posted a video of his Weldon setup demonstrating noise level during start-up and while ideling, and i thought it sounded quieter than other Weldons. was approx as loud as my Fuelab (which i find tolerable, btw, but wonder if that's only b/c the pump is mostly drowned out by what i consider my excessively loud 4" exhaust - straight pipe to Burns muffler).

if i re-did my pump setup (which i will if my Fuelab fails), i would strongly consider dual external 044's. their performance, reputation for reliability, and reportedly quiet operation is a good combination.

craig

·
Registered
561 Posts
its funny how some people are worried about a loud fuel pump but put a loud exhaust system on there car, makes no sence. who cares if there is a noisy external pump, i personally like loud things, cars, fuel pumps, exhaust systems, stereo's, women. if a person cant handle noisy fuel pumps maybe they should go get a Geo Metro or a Smartcar, just saying

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
^^^not sure exactly how your post offers any fuel system advice, but it DOES nicely demonstrate the kind of black-or-white thinking i'd expect from an 18 year old....

just saying.

craig

·
Registered
270 Posts
Bosch 044

I've read and heard good things about the dual Bosch intake set up.

I've got two sitting on my bench for when the time comes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts