Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1989 Supra. It has been sitting about 15 years... I have drained and cleaned the fuel tank, blown out the fuel lines and replace the fuel filter, fuel pump and strainer. I understand that the fuel pump won't pump unless the car is running and the car won't run without fuel in the lines. Seems like a Catch 22. My question is how do I prime the fuel system to get the car to start? FYI, the fuel pump tested bad (frozen with rust) to begin with. I started engine very briefly on starting fluid before cleaning and replacing the fuel system components.

·
Registered
880 Posts
you can turn the fuel pump on with the diagnostic port

1)Turn the key all the way on
2) Jump B+ and Fp on the diagnostic terminal with a sort jumper wire / paper clip

you should hear it fire up / fuel circulate through regulator.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It worked. Thank you! Got the ole girl started after about 14 years of sitting in a barn (mine).
Now all she needs, at a minimum, is clutch master and slave cylinders, spark plugs and wires, belts, tires, and a lot of cleaning.
When I'm done all I have is an 89 Supra...

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
When I'm done all I have is an 89 Supra...
You know what? I've put a ridiculous amount of effort and time into mine, and yeah, I suppose I could look at it the same way, but... that'd probably be incredibly depressing for me to look at it like that.

I think once you start driving it again, the love will come back. I honestly should have saved my money and bought a GT350 or C8 Corvette, but I just can't quit these cars man! There's something incredibly special about driving them...

·
Registered
134 Posts
You know what? I've put a ridiculous amount of effort and time into mine, and yeah, I suppose I could look at it the same way, but... that'd probably be incredibly depressing for me to look at it like that.

I think once you start driving it again, the love will come back. I honestly should have saved my money and bought a GT350 or C8 Corvette, but I just can't quit these cars man! There's something incredibly special about driving them...
I felt that.

·
Registered
880 Posts
at least with a supra, the money you put into it makes it hold/appreciate in value. don't get me wrong, they prob are not worth what you put into them.... but each progressive mod / complete re-do of a system does increase the overall value of the car

it does help having a hook to the car too. my first one was a fresh 89 turbo, picked up in 1999 -- half a lifetime ago. maroon on oxblood targa (just like my current one). yup had it all back then,I was 20 years old, rolling in a turbo supra. man I use to deliver pizzas in it. for me its like chasing the dragon -- the feeling the car can give me (fixing it/ thinking about it /driving it) ...i just don't know what could replace it.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Madison, I'd be lucky if mine was marketable at even 20% of what I've put into it. That's my fault, and I have learned a lot of "what not to do's" if you follow me haha.

They are special cars though, and you're right. Everything that I redo or fix to MY standard, makes the car run better, makes it more reliable, easier to service, whatever. It's all about constant improvement for me, and at this point, cost be damned. I have a vision, and I'll be in my 40's before it's complete, but you know what?

I'm ok with that. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts