Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1989 Supra. It has been sitting about 15 years... I have drained and cleaned the fuel tank, blown out the fuel lines and replace the fuel filter, fuel pump and strainer. I understand that the fuel pump won't pump unless the car is running and the car won't run without fuel in the lines. Seems like a Catch 22. My question is how do I prime the fuel system to get the car to start? FYI, the fuel pump tested bad (frozen with rust) to begin with. I started engine very briefly on starting fluid before cleaning and replacing the fuel system components.

·
Registered
576 Posts
you can turn the fuel pump on with the diagnostic port

1)Turn the key all the way on
2) Jump B+ and Fp on the diagnostic terminal with a sort jumper wire / paper clip

you should hear it fire up / fuel circulate through regulator.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It worked. Thank you! Got the ole girl started after about 14 years of sitting in a barn (mine).
Now all she needs, at a minimum, is clutch master and slave cylinders, spark plugs and wires, belts, tires, and a lot of cleaning.
When I'm done all I have is an 89 Supra...

·
Registered
881 Posts
When I'm done all I have is an 89 Supra...
You know what? I've put a ridiculous amount of effort and time into mine, and yeah, I suppose I could look at it the same way, but... that'd probably be incredibly depressing for me to look at it like that.

I think once you start driving it again, the love will come back. I honestly should have saved my money and bought a GT350 or C8 Corvette, but I just can't quit these cars man! There's something incredibly special about driving them...

·
Registered
61 Posts
You know what? I've put a ridiculous amount of effort and time into mine, and yeah, I suppose I could look at it the same way, but... that'd probably be incredibly depressing for me to look at it like that.

I think once you start driving it again, the love will come back. I honestly should have saved my money and bought a GT350 or C8 Corvette, but I just can't quit these cars man! There's something incredibly special about driving them...
I felt that.

·
Registered
576 Posts
at least with a supra, the money you put into it makes it hold/appreciate in value. don't get me wrong, they prob are not worth what you put into them.... but each progressive mod / complete re-do of a system does increase the overall value of the car

it does help having a hook to the car too. my first one was a fresh 89 turbo, picked up in 1999 -- half a lifetime ago. maroon on oxblood targa (just like my current one). yup had it all back then,I was 20 years old, rolling in a turbo supra. man I use to deliver pizzas in it. for me its like chasing the dragon -- the feeling the car can give me (fixing it/ thinking about it /driving it) ...i just don't know what could replace it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts