Supra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Banned
5,915 Posts
Where can I find the floating device that tells how much gas is in my tank??

Its called the Fuel Level Sending Unit, Toyota.

Do I have to pull the tank down???

Yes.

Also where is it?

In the gas tank...??? wtf

is it electrical or mechanical.

srly?

· Registered
1989 7mgte swapped mk3
1,500 Posts
If you go into the trunk and lift up the spare tire cover you will see a gray plate with 3 screws in the middle on the passenger side of the trunk. Once you take this off you'll see the top of the sending unit. Take the 5 or 6 screws off, disconnect all electrical lines and it will pull right out.

· Banned
5,915 Posts
If you go into the trunk and lift up the spare tire cover you will see a gray plate with 3 screws in the middle on the passenger side of the trunk. Once you take this off you'll see the top of the sending unit. Take the 5 or 6 screws off, disconnect all electrical lines and it will pull right out.
rly?

hmmm, I've never looked in my spare tire storage....

I assumed that since you had to drop the tank for the fuel pump, you had to do the same for the sending unit.

· Registered
1989 7mgte swapped mk3
1,500 Posts
rly?

hmmm, I've never looked in my spare tire storage....

I assumed that since you had to drop the tank for the fuel pump, you had to do the same for the sending unit.
Yea it's right under that gray plate. Much better than having to drop the tank.

My gauge doesn't go all the way up to F anymore. It only goes between the F and 3/4 mark. It used to go all the way up. Is this the sending unit or gauge? The current unit is out of another supra, but it worked for awhile. Any ideas anyone?

· (◕_◕)
8,453 Posts
Yea it's right under that gray plate. Much better than having to drop the tank.

My gauge doesn't go all the way up to F anymore. It only goes between the F and 3/4 mark. It used to go all the way up. Is this the sending unit or gauge? The current unit is out of another supra, but it worked for awhile. Any ideas anyone?
Could be that the little plastic float has a leak in it, or something is bent.

· Grumpy Old Man
4,313 Posts
LOL where do you guys get this crap?

leak,bent...... fuck me SF really is turning into Stupid Forums......
(it's a closed cell float)

More than likely it's worn through the wire winding of the rheostat, it's fairly common with this style of sender after 20 years of use being a contact device.

Having said that good luck on fixing it (new senders are available and around $170) I think I'll step away from posting here as my tolerance for dumb has reached the limiter.

If I'm needed people know where to find me.

· Banned
5,915 Posts
Could be that the little plastic float has a leak in it, or something is bent.
There is no way that floater can develop a leak, or the the arm being bent. Explain how that could happen. I would like to listen to your theory.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.