Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am BPU TT auto and I noticed that I can hit my regulated full boost (1.25 bar via SBC-iD) withouth the boost controller even being on..

Is this normal, or should I be looking for something wrong??

Thanks

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
did you cap off the vsv and actuator???

·
Formerly jza8shwoff
128 Posts
Try checking the hoses for cracks or leaks. Only other idea would be to check that you have the vaccuum lines connected to the right ports of the solenoid.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
but see this is the thing.. I have only been experiencing this at freeway speeds and also only recenctly after the install of the APEXI gt-spec...

side note... it was MUCH harder for me to hit this type of boost with the silencer in...

I checked all the hoses, caps and whatnot and everything seem fine...

?????

·
BPU is so 1997
5,349 Posts
My Profec B had a dead actuator for a while, and with it off, I still hit 15psi constantly.

But one day after the power wash, it started working again, go figure. I don't trust it though.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well how do I test if I have a dead actuator... but if it was a dead actuator I wouldnt have any regulations...

and when I turn the contorller on.. I feel that the boost builds up quicker and I hear that clicking noise fromt he actuator.. (heard it from the start )

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Don't mean to be the asshole - but when you say full boost you mean 18+ psi right? B/c I make 15 or 16 w/ the controller off. I would say you probably have a hose popped off. Check to make sure you didn't accidentally do a bleeder T mod :) Do you hit the same amt. of boost w/ the controller on?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
MaxPrime said:
Don't mean to be the asshole - but ... Check to make sure you didn't accidentally do a bleeder T mod :)
First off.. wouldnt I know if I didt a bleeder mod... and yes I do hit full boost 1.2+ bar.... but I checked my suspision and turned on the boost controller to find out that the boost builds up much more quickly...

so with the same amount of pedel pressure, I can hit 1.2 bar at lets say 5,000rpm.. where as with the boost controller on I can hit the same boost at 4,000rpm

etc etc.. I very much suspect that this is a direct result of getting the APEXi GT-Spec installed...

Note, I checked and rechecked all the hoses.. and considering if the hoses were off, then I woulnt be able to regulate boost with the SBC-id as it does...

·
776 Posts
It would seem very strange you are hitting over 18psi with the apex gt-spec installed. I highly doubt that it is because of the cat-back.

I had the same problem as you because I would turn my sbc-dc off and I will hit real high boost (>1.3 bar) with stock exhaust and cats.

I thought I checked everything and I finally had to feel around for the vaccum cap on the bottom brass actuator and it popped off. So I just ziptied one on there and now it works perfectly. But that might not be your case since you are hitting boost faster with the ebc on.

·
SupraStar
227 Posts
Could it be cold air, if you live in a place where it is cold right now.

Before I put my dawg in a garage over the winter, in october) it was rather cold outside and I hit 1,52 bar with the boost controller off.
It was about zero degrees Celcius that day.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got the same exact problem with my HKS EZ installed the blitz way! I too see quicker spools when I have it on and I get 18psi when its off but it reaches 18psi alot slower!

Could any of this have some thing to do with the timing of the reed valve or the Exhaust Bypass Valve or Exhaust Control Valve, if one may be a little retarder or a little early????

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
From my understanding, since we all have EBC's its mostly likely someing with the way the ebc is installed.. meaning a hose associated with the ebc has come loose or is leaking...

the car drives fine and I have no problems other then that.. (knock knock.. :) )

·
Registered
226 Posts
i don't know if this will help, but i can hit 1.25 on my car (and sometimes 1.4 in 5th gear freeway pull) and all i have is a downpipe and exhaust, no boost controller.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I don't understand what is so weird about that. I thought that the stock twins will boost differently depending on weather, if there is no cat and exhaust on the car. I also have an SBC-ID but it is hooked up wrong. I can only boost around 7psi with it on but once I turn it off I can bet I will hit 1.5 bar when it is 40 degrees or colder. Couldn't it be that your turbos are just boosting because there is no cat.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey guys,
Since your on the subject about boost and bleeder T mod, what are the two things i have to cap off. The fuel wire deal is done and all i have to do is put the thing in the tube to block off the waistgate i guess. I just also need to know what the two other things i need to cap off to complete the T mod. Any pics would be nice or whatever.
Thanks
chris

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ARGH... today I did a highway pulll.. and I was getting close to 1.5 bar!!!!

I discounnected my SBC-id the other day and pluged it back in.. checked all the settings and it seems fine...

one thing I noticed.. is that it doesnt regulate the boost.. I have warning set to 1.2 and the boost retard set to 25.. yet it doesnt retard it..

any thoughts... hose loose???

·
Old School
4,014 Posts
The crappy stock wastegate is too small to regulate boost.

Boost controllers (Esp. electronic ones) on a car w/stock twins are a waste of money since weather and altitude make a bigger difference in boost than the controller setting does.

If an EBC is so great I want to see a BPU car on a cold winter day be able to limit boost to 12 psi in a 4th gear pull from 2000-7000 rpm.

Never happen. :)

Buy a cheap ball & spring MBC, it will spooll beter than any EBC, and it won't break. Buy a fuel controller with the left over $$$.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
lol... dont disagree with you on that.... but back to the problem at hand....

any thoughts????

Side note: how effective is an autometer A/F gauge installed onto the stock 02 sensor signal????

1 - 20 of 28 Posts