Supra Forums banner

161 - 165 of 165 Posts

·
My Own "Carbon Fiber Guy"
2,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #161
Jeff,

I still have one of the original CF targa prototypes from 11 years ago. They are CF outside, FG inside, and the two I own have held up fine in the heat of Georgia's summers. That being said, I'd like one of yours when you start making them again. Your craftsmanship FAR out classes the ones i have !!! I don't care about separation at 180* temps. It's gonna be for show anyway. Like the ones I have now are. Do they come with the moldings and rear mounts?

Thanks,

B
The use of fiberglass is a clear indicator of the type of resin that was used to make your current targa; Polyester. That type of resin will get brittle with heat over time and unless it is a thick build up like a boat hull it will eventually start cracking. My parts are made with Epoxy resin which will soften with enough heat, not crack. The good news is that I think that I have a resin solution that cures at room temp and has a high service temp, both of which are important since I do not have a giant oven for these parts. I have to knock out some rear seat delete kits then I will come back to the targas to try the new resin system.

As for what is included, my targas DO NOT include the two rear mounting brackets, weather stripping, lock, etc. Just the targa with the hardware to bolt up your existing parts.

-Jeff

·
Blue Thunder
3,431 Posts
That's SWEET Jeff !!!! LMK when you start selling them again. I'll take one. I'll just reuse the hardware off one of my other ones.

B

The use of fiberglass is a clear indicator of the type of resin that was used to make your current targa; Polyester. That type of resin will get brittle with heat over time and unless it is a thick build up like a boat hull it will eventually start cracking. My parts are made with Epoxy resin which will soften with enough heat, not crack. The good news is that I think that I have a resin solution that cures at room temp and has a high service temp, both of which are important since I do not have a giant oven for these parts. I have to knock out some rear seat delete kits then I will come back to the targas to try the new resin system.

As for what is included, my targas DO NOT include the two rear mounting brackets, weather stripping, lock, etc. Just the targa with the hardware to bolt up your existing parts.

-Jeff

·
2,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #163
That's SWEET Jeff !!!! LMK when you start selling them again. I'll take one. I'll just reuse the hardware off one of my other ones.

B
I will be sure to make it known. Just so you know though, my wife and I are having our second child in 1 week so I'm about to have my hands full here. Your patience is appreciated.

-Jeff

·
Blue Thunder
3,431 Posts
Any updates Jeff? Or would you care to re-thread my front mounting bolts? I'd gladly pay you for your service.

B

·
2,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #165
Any updates Jeff? Or would you care to re-thread my front mounting bolts? I'd gladly pay you for your service.

B
I'm pretty busy at the moment on another prototype but can try to fix your threads. Would probably make the most sense if you're close enough to bring it by. If not then I can give you the tap info and you can give it a go. $200 tap is cheaper than shipping. Let me know your thoughts when you have a chance.

-Jeff

161 - 165 of 165 Posts