Supra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this one is about 60 days out from production, 30 days to Beta pics.

A full carbon-kevlar intake plenum, very large volume, tested to 50 psi @ 250 degrees F.

Magnesium header flange and fuel rail (center return, tapped for Precision Turbo style injectors)

4" Magnesium T/B with SS TB blade.

An adapter to fit stock-style plumbing will be available, but the optional IC piping would be a cleaner solution.

Price in the 2700-3200 range.

Any thoughts?

Dylan

·
I CAN HAS WELFARE
3,413 Posts
Id be in

·
Registered
2,687 Posts

Scorch said:
this one is about 60 days out from production, 30 days to Beta pics.

A full carbon-kevlar intake plenum, very large volume, tested to 50 psi @ 250 degrees F.

Magnesium header flange and fuel rail (center return, tapped for Precision Turbo style injectors)

4" Magnesium T/B with SS TB blade.

An adapter to fit stock-style plumbing will be available, but the optional IC piping would be a cleaner solution.

Price in the 2700-3200 range.

Any thoughts?

Dylan

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
I also want to add that this is something I need. Too bad I already have a Titan rail and Seimen injectors (850cc). Will these injectors fit? Can I stick with the Titan rail and use your mounting hardware?

·
BPU is so 1997
5,349 Posts
So many shops have been coming out with intake manifolds, but have any of them actually had them flow tested?

Anyone can make a nice manifold to bolt up to the stock runners. People talk about wanting equal flow to each runner, but I've never seen a single piece of evidence that a particular shop's manifold does indeed assist with equalizing the air flow to each cylinder. Seems like everyone just makes a big and pretty one, and sells it for $1300 or so.

·
BPU is so 1997
5,349 Posts
Edelbrock/Holley have a much larger budget when it comes to R&D, I don't doubt their manifold for the B-series.

Most of the manifolds for the MKIV are great works of art, but I'm curious to see if there is actualy proof that it is equalizing the air flow into each cylinder moreso than the stocker.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hua said:
Edelbrock/Holley have a much larger budget when it comes to R&D, I don't doubt their manifold for the B-series.

Most of the manifolds for the MKIV are great works of art, but I'm curious to see if there is actualy proof that it is equalizing the air flow into each cylinder moreso than the stocker.
We will have flowbench #'s for stocker and for the manifold.

We will also have before and after dyno's #'s.

clearly this intake manifold will not be for everyone.

I dont think anyone with a turbo smaller than a t-72 or so would benifit the same way the bigger turbos will.

There are a couple of advantages over aluminum that anyone can benefit from:

1. Weight - the carbon manifold should be about 20lbs lighter than an aluminum one. This isnt a huge amount of weight, but its off the front wheels, so its helps the weight distribution.

2. Heat- the carbon manifold has less heat sink capability and is less conductive than the aluminum. Similar to a phenolic spacer, it will prevent heat from the hot engine head from the intake charge. It will also significantly reduce underhood temps. We will have instrumented tests fom this as well.

Dylan

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hua said:

A quick point:

The edelbrock was the LOWER dyno # in that test.

The carbon manifold made 20-40 more HP across the rpm band than the aluminum intake.

Dylan

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
I look forward to this project. Maybe I can afford to tweak when this is out. I also am not into the bling look like 99% of the people on here so I welcome the dull carbon fiber :).

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Has anyone considered trying to build a phenolic spacer for our cars? Might be nice to reduce some of the heat transfer to our upper intakes and certainly cheaper.

Oh and I've spoken to someone who has tested some of the modified manifolds out there with EGT in each exhaust runner. The results were less than perfect (cough).

·
BPU is so 1997
5,349 Posts
BLKMGK said:
Has anyone considered trying to build a phenolic spacer for our cars? Might be nice to reduce some of the heat transfer to our upper intakes and certainly cheaper.

Hondata offers this intake manifold gasket for the Honda motors that does just that.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Hua said:
Hondata offers this intake manifold gasket for the Honda motors that does just that.
Yes I know ;) I've used them on more than one Mustang intake too but those were probably a bit too thick a material for our manifold. The Hondata spacer looked much thinner! I've been told that the material isn't too expensive but to make them "right" you have to use a water jet :eek: I guess I could hand make one but purchasing one done right would be my prefrence.... <shrug>

Oh, and given a choice I'd want a CF intake for sure! However at around $3K theres almost no chance of my purchasing one...

·
Registered
691 Posts
ive seen numbers from the 3K veilside surgetank/100mm tb and it made about 75 extra horsepower to the wheels on an 800whp supra

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Oh no, not the Turbo magazine article BS coming up again.

yellow97tt6spd said:
ive seen numbers from the 3K veilside surgetank/100mm tb and it made about 75 extra horsepower to the wheels on an 800whp supra

S

·
0 Posts
I really doubt that the Supra manifold would have runners that long. The pics are of a manifold for a 4 cylinder motor probably a honda/acura

1 - 18 of 18 Posts