Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Im in the middle of rebuilding a 7mgte that im putting into my 73 240z. Im looking for a full gasket set so i can put my engine back together. The places i have found are :

Ebay:
Full Cometic Gasket Set - 136.95$
He hasnt responded to my messages about when he will have the sets.

Parts Dinosaur:
Full Gasket Set Unknown Brand 114.70$
Cant find any reviews on them.

Autozone:
Expensive Felpro head gasket Set
Isnt a Full Gasket set and cost a bit over 100$ more than those above.

Kragen:
Cheaper Felpro head gasket set
Cheaper than autozone but still not a complete set.

Anyone know of any other places that carries a FULL gasket set in relation to the top two. Willing to pay up to 175ish but i don't want to. Oh and i will not be using the head gasket from either of those.

·
Registered
482 Posts
the gaskets from an ebay set are alright, so far so good on mines BUT the head gasket is crap, i blew it in only around 800miles, buy a better headgasket separately

·
The Supra Don Dada
238 Posts
I say go for the cometic full gasket set as well as a cometic metal head gasket and arp studs, the 7mgte will love you for it, it might set you back somewhere between $300 an $400 but worth it

·
It might run right......?
1,492 Posts
I use a kit called Top Line http://www.toplineauto.com/index.asp price is about 240$ now they go up and down on price but about the best gasket kit u can get that is not a toyota brand.

I can also get a cheaper kit for 130$ but its no where near the quality. I build prolly 5-10 7mgte a year so i have tried a few gaskets but not all of them and i spend the $$ on the TopLine its worth it seals are great last a LOOONG time.

I dont use fel pros cause u cant get a full kit. I have never used a cometic so it maybe good so you have to go with the reviews from those that have used.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay the guy honing and surfacing my block called me today and said he has done and got this:

Honed
Re-Surfaced
Ceaned Pistons
Full Gasket Kit
New Rings
New Bearings
Polished Crank
Cleaned [Hot Tank] The Block

All for 580$ out the door. Only thing is i dont know which bearings or which gasket set it is. I was at work when i got the message.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I say go for the cometic full gasket set as well as a cometic with hks metal head gasket and arp studs, the 7mgte will love you for it, it might set you back somewhere between $200 to $210 cometic full set #no hg c4419 # hks 11116-153195 from( slowboy racing) worth it

·
Registered
55 Posts
COMETICCCC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bigok:

·
Registered
482 Posts

·
Dont question the good Dr
473 Posts
I have built 5 different 7MGTE's in my day, about to start my 6th build. I have always gone to the toyota dealership and used the genuine toyota gasket kit. I have never had any problems with any gasket or seal from the toyota kits ever leaking when properly installed. (I always build with MHG though, so I can't speak for the head gasket.) IIRC the kit runs about $170 list, but I usually only pay about $100. Also don't use any gasket or seal on the oil pan, always use the toyota FIPG.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got my stuff back yesterday and i got a full set of clevette 77 bearings. The gasket set was made by ITM from which read is suppose to be good but i dont know for my self yet. Piston were really clean looked new, rings already installed. I got anxious and i put the head on the motor with the intake and everything and i must say it looks dam good.

·
7m love... dont hate.
2,571 Posts
thats the set that came with my car when i bought it with a bhg, the gaskets are great, mines was missing the throttle body gasket, but the head gasket is crap

ya it says in the description not to use the hg cause its missing the copper sealing rings.
but 100 bux for the rest of the seals is a good deal.

·
4,623 Posts
Okay,

Cometic gasket kit is made by ITM, which sucks. The Cometic MLS Head Gasket is made inhouse and Great, though.
Top-Line is okay.
Fail-Pro Sucks Epic Balls.
Sealed Power is Great But Discontinued.

I'd try to Track down Ishino or Stone; I personally use toyota gaskets because i get a good discount. But, Ishino makes Stone, who makes Toyota gaskets. I think 935Motorsports still sells them.

The Cometic MLS Head Gasket is Great, though

Edit. Since you already have the ITM kit, use it but not the Exhaust manifold gasket, EGR cooler gaskets. Ask around and only use toyota, or stone on these. Rear main seal is for sure fine, as is valve seals because we share these with other toyota motors which are higher production; the rear main seal is shared with the 22R, and the valve seals are shared with various motors. Other seals i wouldn't chance such as front main and oil pump shaft.

This is just my personal opinion and what do i know, right?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Okay,

Cometic gasket kit is made by ITM, which sucks. The Cometic MLS Head Gasket is made inhouse and Great, though.
Top-Line is okay.
Fail-Pro Sucks Epic Balls.
Sealed Power is Great But Discontinued.

I'd try to Track down Ishino or Stone; I personally use toyota gaskets because i get a good discount. But, Ishino makes Stone, who makes Toyota gaskets. I think 935Motorsports still sells them.

The Cometic MLS Head Gasket is Great, though

Edit. Since you already have the ITM kit, use it but not the Exhaust manifold gasket, EGR cooler gaskets. Ask around and only use toyota, or stone on these. Rear main seal is for sure fine, as is valve seals because we share these with other toyota motors which are higher production; the rear main seal is shared with the 22R, and the valve seals are shared with various motors. Other seals i wouldn't chance such as front main and oil pump shaft.

This is just my personal opinion and what do i know, right?
arghhhh I didn't know that feel-pro gaskets were crap. That's what I'm running now, if it blows I'm going 2jz
:rant2:

·
4,623 Posts
Well at least if you don't listen to me the exhaust manifold gasket is pretty easy to change, the egr cooler you may need to cut off the hood latch. ;)

Where in the bay area? I used to go to De Anza. :)

Can you take pics of the combustion chamber area of the ITM gasket?

Fail pro actually makes a good head gasket. :)

·
Registered
482 Posts
Well at least if you don't listen to me the exhaust manifold gasket is pretty easy to change, the egr cooler you may need to cut off the hood latch. ;)

Where in the bay area? I used to go to De Anza. :)

Can you take pics of the combustion chamber area of the ITM gasket?

Fail pro actually makes a good head gasket. :)
The gaskets themselves are great.

The cutters on some gaskets are off.

The EGR cooler and Exhaust manifold gaskets always leak. :(
ohh thats a relief, i have the complete set from driftmotion, the head gasket from that kit blew so i replaced it with a fail pro head gasket, i'd recommend getting a full set like this. I didn't change every gasket so it feels good knowing i have the extra gaskets if anything goes wrong

1 - 20 of 21 Posts