Supra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Always playing catch up
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
alright, well first off, sorry to the texas guys, found out yesterday the HG is leaking like a mofo so the car won't be making it out to 2k9. Needless to say I was a little pissed.

the attempt at story and info for everyone: bout 2ish years ago blew the headgasket, didn't have time or funds to fix it so parked it for a couple of years, pulled it about this time last year to try to fix the right way for 2k8.

quick parts used: arp head studs, new piston rings, new cleavite bearings, hks bead 1.2mm head gasket, had the block and head decked, honed to knock off the rust, touched up the crank and valves, usual bs (did forget the front plate like an idiot, more on that later) was assured that the gasket would seal and be fine when I told them it was for performance (my company's shop that we use and was in a hurry, lesson learned).

So besides getting screwed by a former coworker and putting a lot into new hoses, gaskets and the like (stone gasket set) and some other goodies, hooked mostly everything up (see last thread) and pretty much every leak taken care of (was going to do vacuum once we fixed the leaks) former idiot who was helping with the motor dremmeled the front plate to "close as we are gonna get it". Read up worst was I would get a annoying oil leak, oh well wanted to get the car running.

So gets fired up and running, and we notice (me and another guy who used to own a mk3 back in the day) steam coming out the exhaust, confirmed by lots of water in the oil. Wonderful.

So I will be calling the machine shop tomorrow and seeing if they are going to do anything about their shitty job, if they are I will be pulling the motor, again, and quizzing and annoying the hell outta these guys to make sure I don't have to do this a third time. If they don't and are assholes I will take steps to try to get my money back for at least for the decking of the block and head.

so the opinions I was looking for are:

If they don't cover, I will most likely be bowing out of 7m's and will slap on a stock HG and start saving for a 1j swap because as long as I am going to drop anything significant into the car again I want it to be something semi-unique.

There any danger of dropping in a stock HG after taking 1.2mm off?

car has ran a total of maybe 5 minutes, would it be ok to reuse the studs?

also with the HKS bead gasket the ports for the water jackets looked funky (people that have gotten these know what I mean), there any MHG that line up with the them? I think the greddy does wondering if any others do casuse I know I will prob have to get a 2mm HG.

I am just really mad I gotta do this all over again after putting all this time and effort into this just to have it fuck up. And yes if they agree to redo it I will offer to pay to deck the front plate and finish that off right.

Sorry to ramble on and thanks in advance

<l><l>

·
boost'en down 101
1,235 Posts
a stock toyota or felpro will be fine. i had a mhg blow on a used motor i bought. swaped my other head on that had under .001" of a dip from my old rod knock motor (looked as if it had recently been to the machine shop by helicoiled studs and little warpage). checked the block and it had a slight dip barely .001" (never let it get to the red which was key). bought a felpro hg kit and yeah. mine has held up for over a year and i gaurentee you i drive my car harder than 80% of the people on here. just get it clean (don't go to crazy. no scotch pad. just some brake cleaner and a scraper will be fine.)

as long as thing didn't get hot it will be fine.

oh and your arps will work fine. just retorque at 500 miles to make sure none of them back off.

shit one more thing. when removing the head break them loose in about 5 or more passes in the tsrm sequence. i like to do just a crack at first. then a little more like 1/4-1/2 turn. then again and again. doing all 14 before going any further in the next pass. if you do it this way you WON'T warp your head. if you break them completely loose in one pass you WILL warp the head.

·
Always playing catch up
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yep already got enough problems don't need to add the head cracked to it lol.

UPDATE: had a brain stew session at work, going to pull the turbo tommrow (got most of the way today ran outta time) and see if that is FUBARED. if that isn't the problem then off comes the head

<l><l>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts