Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! Im new around here. I thought i would introduce myself. Im Jellypig, a good ol Georgia boy. I do have a few questions about the purchasing of a supra. The biggest question is that of budget. Im looking at probably a MkIII. Im new to the world of project cars (As I currently only own my commuter Jetta). I see on craigslist supras that come and go at different price points. I see 87s for $2000, and i see 87s for $7000. Normally the $5-7k range being the turbo'd model. I may sound dumb for asking the following questions but hey, im here to learn.

1. Is it cheaper to buy a non turbo'd and add a turbo? Especially because I would be upgrading the turbo that I would have in the turbo'd model anyways.

And

2. How much should I be willing to drop up front for a decent Supra? It is so hard not to pounce on those $2500 non turbo crappy interior supras. So what is the sweet spot in price? Something in between rags and riches lol.

Thanks so much in advance guys! I look forward to becoming part of this community.

·
SF Sexy Member
355 Posts
Save up for turbo no matter how many decades or centuries.

I know what you want from reading your post.

Stop teasing yourself and making excuses.

/Thread

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah thats what I will probably do. Also... It has been my dream to build/own a 10 second car. As in 10 second 1/4 mile. Is that something reasonable to expect from a MkIII, and how much would that cost me?

·
SF Sexy Member
355 Posts
Yeah thats what I will probably do. Also... It has been my dream to build/own a 10 second car. As in 10 second 1/4 mile. Is that something reasonable to expect from a MkIII, and how much would that cost me?
Priceless

·
Registered
174 Posts
Fair questions for someone not knowing much about project cars. Let me help by offering perspective. A $7,000 vehicle can do a 10 second quarter mile once, with lots of nitrous. Turbo cars are expensive to maintain, and to go fast consistently. You will break stuff, which requires fixing expensive parts. If your goal is to go 10 seconds now, pick another platform. You will spend 3 times your desired amount to go that fast with a $7,000 turbo car. I hate to say it, but the old phrase of "pay to play" is reality. We were all in your shoes at one point in time, so I commend you for reaching out, many people don't. Doing things right the first time is 90% preparation and 10% perspiration.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fair questions for someone not knowing much about project cars. Let me help by offering perspective. A $7,000 vehicle can do a 10 second quarter mile once, with lots of nitrous. Turbo cars are expensive to maintain, and to go fast consistently. You will break stuff, which requires fixing expensive parts. If your goal is to go 10 seconds now, pick another platform. You will spend 3 times your desired amount to go that fast with a $7,000 turbo car. I hate to say it, but the old phrase of "pay to play" is reality. We were all in your shoes at one point in time, so I commend you for reaching out, many people don't. Doing things right the first time is 90% preparation and 10% perspiration.
Well hey, maybe I wont have 10 second supra. But I will buy a supra nonetheless!

·
Registered
174 Posts
My intent is not to dissuade you from your choice, only to inform you. Going back many years I've always said to myself one day I will own a Supra. They are legendary for hitting above their weight class. Don't let anyone's opinion change your mind from getting what you WANT. To realize your goal, it is wise to learn from those who have been there before. If your heart is set on a 10 second mark 3, read posts in that subsection to grow your knowledge. You will find plenty of useful information that will get you closer to your goal. Best of luck and I look forward to learning from your experiences.

·
HK USP 45c
292 Posts
If you're looking for more cost effective JZ platform to build, I'd suggest getting a SC300 over a MKIII. You can find them for the same price of a MKIII non turbo, and use the left over money to build a decent NA-T platform.

·
Going for broke
622 Posts
I really think Bill hit the nail on this one, but I just want to add to his points.

If your dream is a 10-second car AND you want to do it with a Supra, it can be done with any chassis, but you'll likely need a 1jz or 2jz motor and some investment in strengthening the transmission.

Example from experience: I own a '97 turbo 6 speed. It was bone stock when I bought it and it wasn't cheap. To get into the realm of 10 second passes (which my car is capable of) I have spent another $22k. However, this isn't just money for getting into that speed bracket. This is money spent making sure I can do that speed bracket time and time again: ie all new fueling, full replacement of every suspension component, all new braking system (does no good if you can't stop), machine work, etc. You get the idea...

My point is simply, no matter how much you invest up front, there will still be many things needed to reliably and safely make the 1/4 mile passes you desire. So pick a car you love because the process (and investment) getting there will test that love. Lol

We have a wealth of expansive knowledge here from every chassis supra and I'm so glad you reached out to tap into it. I look forward to seeing the route ou choose and following the learning as you begin making your dream come true (like we all have done). :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts